Boresnake??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Boresnake??

Post by jnyork »

My Marlin 336a .30-30 barrel leads up a little with cast bullets and destroys the accuracy after 25-30 shots or so, does it regardless of bullet diameter, velocity, gas checked or not, etc. So, I reasoned I would get a Boresnake and pull it through between relays. I have never used a Boresnake, do you put a little Hoppe's or something on it or just pull it through dry? The instructions dont say. Thanks.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

boresnake

Post by Hillbilly »

I dribble some rem oil or spray solvent in the bore before I pull mine through. I use em a lot when I shoot skeet.

Boresnakes work ok if you keep it to light cleaning... I still break out a good rod after extended shooting sessions, especially for centerfire rifles.

Hill
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I agree with Hillbilly, they do not clean the bore the way you probably would at home, but they do serve a good purpose. I always carry one in my pack while hunting just in case. For what you want it for you should be fine, but you may want to foul the barrel again with a couple shots before any competition if you run solvent through it. You can put solvent on one, and oil on another. You can also wash them in the washing machine. Not with your Wifes clothes though.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bigahh wrote: You can also wash them in the washing machine. Not with your Wifes clothes though.
You're no fun at all, Bigahh. :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

They are not lead removers but they work great. I put some Hoppes #9 on the area just before the built in bore brush and on the bore brush and then spray some Rem Oil on the tail end.

Seems to me if you're experiencing that much leading there is an undrlaying problem that you should look into.
ED
Yer never too old
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Modoc ED wrote:They are not lead removers but they work great. I put some Hoppes #9 on the area just before the built in bore brush and on the bore brush and then spray some Rem Oil on the tail end.

Seems to me if you're experiencing that much leading there is an undrlaying problem that you should look into.
Ed, the problem is that these older 336a Marlins built back in the '40s were all made with .310 diameter bores. I need .311-312 cast bullets to make it shoot really well and not lead up, but the best I can do is.310. I dont cast my own and life is too short to start messing around with it. I did find some .312's, but they wouldnt chamber, so I'm stuck with what I have. I am determined to make it shoot silhouettes with cast, I just shot 33x40 the other day with 130 grain Speer jacketed so I know it will shoot.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

jnyork wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:They are not lead removers but they work great. I put some Hoppes #9 on the area just before the built in bore brush and on the bore brush and then spray some Rem Oil on the tail end.

Ed, the problem is that these older 336a Marlins built back in the '40s were all made with .310 diameter bores. I need .311-312 cast bullets to make it shoot really well and not lead up, but the best I can do is.310. I dont cast my own and life is too short to start messing around with it. I did find some .312's, but they wouldnt chamber, so I'm stuck with what I have. I am determined to make it shoot silhouettes with cast, I just shot 33x40 the other day with 130 grain Speer jacketed so I know it will shoot.
Check out Beartooth bullets and see if he can't cast you some custom .311 LFNGC.
ED
Yer never too old
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Or, possibly lap the bore.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The boresnake won't get the lead out.
Best to just run a jag and tight patch with some good solvent , Kroil, ballistol ec, between relays.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks, Don, most matches there isnt time or facilities to do that, you just have a minute or so to remove firearm from the firing line and put it in the rack where it must remain until you get called up again. Handling firearms behind the firing line when you are not "up to bat" is a big no-no for obvious safety reasons.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hmmm seems odd there's no allowance for cleaning :shock: . Different strokes for different folks I spoze.
But if you've got time and place to run a bore snake thru seems it won't take any more time and maybe less to stuff a presoaked patch down the hole on a rod. Those boresnakes are handy for some things, mostly a feel good touchy feely clean, but they don't even touch lead, or at least lead seriuos enough to affect accuracy.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

jnyork wrote:

Buy the .312's , get a luber/sizer .311 and do them to fit your rifle. I have a friend who has a Winchester 94, made in 1900 it also slugs .310 he buys as cast lead 30-30's and lube/sizes to .311. Also use Winchester brass the neck thickness is less than Remington or federal. this will give you the necessary chamber/cartridge dimension for the larger bullet. You might find that with the Winchester brass and the .312 bullet you can chamber the round in the rifle with out reducing the bullet size. Most molds will drop a bullet .312-.3125. Again, I would buy the bullets unsized and work from there.

Good luck
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks, Lefty, might have to try that.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Well I went out and tried it today. 170 gas checked bullets, 24 grains of 3031. This load leaded up so bad last time I tried it by the time I had fired 30 rounds I couldn't hardly hit the 200 meter berm, let alone the ram. Today I pulled the BoreSnake through every ten rounds. 10- chickens, 9 pigs, 7 turkeys, 9 rams. I am a happy camper. I will play with this some more, I have some LaserCast .310 non gas checked bullets I want to try.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Awesome! Glad it is working
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Boresnakes are a really good tool....and a must have in the field pack