45-70 and rcbs 300 grain mold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

45-70 and rcbs 300 grain mold

Post by flatnose »

Just loaded up the last of my 300 grn remington bullets, and seems like there are no more to be found.
I have plenty of powder, primers, brass and lead, so it looks like its time to start casting.
The 300 rems shoot real good in my 1886 45-70, so I am thinking about trying a cast bullet in the same weight.
What are your opinions on the RCBS 300gc bullet?
The rifle likes cast sized to .459'' .I may want the gas check bullet as I will be trying for the higher velocities, maybe to 2000fps.
Anyone shoot this bullet?
Any other suggestions or input. Thanks in advance.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 45-70 and rcbs 300 grain mold

Post by jmiller »

I to have a Win 1886 in 45-70. I've gotten the Rem 300 JHP to shoot well in the gun but they've never shot quite as well as the 405g JSP bullet. I've found this to be true in all the 45-70s I've owned. I'd suggest you try to find some 405g bullets and try them. I've shot a number of deer with the 405g and in each case the bullet has been a complete pass through. I'm loading them to around 1300fps and the recoil is very tolerable at that speed with that weight bullet. I have no idea what your intentions are with the gun but if it's to shoot anything other than very large brown bears this load would do everything you'd ever want it to do and not beat you up in the process. FYI....my 405g loads are shooting pretty consistently around 1.5"-1.7" for five shots at 100 yds.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Regarding the RCBS 300gr mould: my Browning '86 likes bullets from it very much.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

jmiller,
I should have said that the intended bullet is for paper punching.
I do have plenty rem 405's and also cast 405's,and agree with what you say, except I found the 300 rem's to be more accurate in my rifle.
I am trying to find an accurate and economical loading, so that when my current stock has been depleted I will be set and ready to go. The cost of jacketed bullets are becoming somewhat expensive.

Molasses,
What alloy are you using, and powder and load. Are your bullets casting large enough to size down to .459? Do you have any problems with the mold?

Thank you both for your replies.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I use the RCBS .45-300-FN cast lead gas checked bullet in my USRAC Winchester .45-70 takedown rifle for shooting NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette. I like this bullet very much as it has substantially less recoil than a 405 grain bullet, and recoil is a big factor when you are competing in 40 shot matches. The gas check design allows a bit more velocity without leading the bore.

My bullet alloy is approximately Lyman #2. As with most bullet molds, this RCBS drops them slightly out of round, but on average they are .459" diameter and weight 301 grains as cast. I seat the gas check and then size them to .459" using NRA formula 50/50 lube. Powder charge is 47.5 grains of IMR 3031, and I use standard Federal Large Rifle primers. Velocity is 1,600 feet per second. I have a 50 yard target shot with this rifle and load that put five rounds into 3/4" off the bench. Of course it won't do that every time, but it is plenty accurate enough for silhouette shooting!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Anyone who loads for, casts for or just likes to shoot the 45-70's needs to get a copy of Paul A. Mathews book "Forty Years With The 45-70" I have two copies. One I have read 6 or 7 times now and one set aside for when the first one falls apart from being read so many times. It is, in my opinion, the bible for the 45-70.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd