Probably of not much interest to most but maybe a few

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Probably of not much interest to most but maybe a few

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

After all these years I have found at least to me the sweet spot for roofs now that its been going through its paces.

Here is what I have found.
If I was ever to move from here and living where being subjected to harsh climates without a doubt my home would have a 8/12 minimum pitched metal roof. That condensation issue I worried my rear off basically non-existent.

Right now we are getting hammered. Have 13" of snow and it is 10 degrees going down to -2 tonight with a high of 6 tomorrow and then down to -8 degrees.

Wind has been nil but tonight will pick up. Expected wind chills around -25 tonight.

Anyhow my roof is clean. My eves are clean. it just slides off this roof. Other day had snow ice combo and again it just slid off.

All the problems of snow weight, ice build up, plugged eves gone! Just a nice clean green roof.

So, if I was to move to a home with say a 4/12 pitched shingle roof, if I could not have trusses put over old roof, pitched to 8/12 decked and syn tech membrane then topped with 26ga metal. It is a no sale no matter what. I know it might cost more but what I see man oh man is it ever worth it!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Probably of not much interest to most but maybe a few

Post by Pitchy »

Stay warm bro, if I ever build a new home it will be a A frame on 7-8 foot walls with a loft. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Snow load, yea I remember that, have not had to worry about it since I moved to FL 30+ years ago, but yep I remember it.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have a few friends who moved to steel and are very happy, tough and slippery. It should handle that flurry real nice :twisted: .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not just for cold climes. I have a 26 gauge (industrial grade) metal roof on my house here in MS. Will never build another home without a metal roof. The guy that built my house calls it a "lifetime roof". Nuf said.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My place has a 6/12 pitch and the snow still hangs on it. But we don't get the snows you guys up North get, so, so far so good after 38 years here. I had a new roof put on 8 years ago so I figure I'm good till I'm dead.

I really wish I would have had the insight back when I put the new roof on as I would have taken your advice and put on a metal roof.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Metal is the only way to go when there is snow (and the accompanying ice).