An interesting read on Glock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

An interesting read on Glock

Post by Bosco »

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: An interesting read on Glock

Post by SJPrice »

That was way too much information.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Colt 1873, Colt 1911, Glock 27. Created the ULTIMATE handgun of the late 20nth, early 21st Century. But he trully lacks a soul. :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

He hired a talented design team to design an excellent handgun for him after seeing another manufacturer make a polymer-framed pistol. There is no ultimate handgun.

I know people who worked with and for him. I would not want to be around him.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

supremely talented, hyper-motivated people can oftentimes also be extreme bass-holes
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glocks work well. I have a 21SF on the nightstand.
I don't really have any feelings about them either way. They are just soulless tools.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Have you read the book "Glock-American Gun"....???

Amazing, can't put it down, type of book. If you like firearms, business stories and intrigue...It is a MUST READ!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Count me in for 1 or 2 of the Glock 42's when they start hitting stores (a backup gun, plus a NY reload for the backup :) )---- I prefer Sig ergo's, but I like the Glock simplicity (just got the new Guns& Ammo in the mail that said they were comin' soon )
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'm holding out for a single stack 9MM with at least a 7 shot clip. 8 would be nicer. And it's gotta be at least as small as the PF9. Otherwise why bother? :wink:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

YIKES...a flow chart...my flow chart would be simple...all financial assets flow from my pocket to my wife's debit card... :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I can not think of anything interesting about Glock :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't like them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I rarely believe much of anything that comes up in divorce court.

As far as a single stack 9mm, I've got the serious hots for the new Remington R51 coming out. I'm debating if I want to get one now or wait couple months to see if there's any bugs.

Oh, yeah, I've got the full set.
G17, gen 1 (serial starts with CX first ones in the states started with AH)
G19, gen 2
G19 gen 2. I stuttered and got an extra one
G26 gen 2.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Mescalero wrote:I can not think of anything interesting about Glock :roll:
Except that pulling the trigger on one is like pulling the pin on a grenade!

Just wanted to stir the pot a bit. :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Old Savage wrote:Don't like them.
I don't go out of my way to shoot them, but I do shoot them very well. Seems most people do, and they tend to be simple and reliable, so I admire them for those points. Personally, I prefer other pistols.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

To each his own. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

wecsoger wrote:I rarely believe much of anything that comes up in divorce court.
Me neither. After two bloody divorces which in both cases neither of them ever contributed over 30% of our annual income, and due to neither of them working for over 50% of the time we were married neither ever contributed over 20% of our assets and losing over 50% in each case...I think she should be comfortably provided for, but ole Gaston shouldn't lose 50% of all he's amassed.
Old Savage wrote:Don't like them.
A lot of people don't. Glocks will divide a room of gun nuts almost as quick as the M16/AK47 argument. But they shoot, and shoot well, every time. The story behind me switching to Glocks is definitely long and probably boring. I used to carry Sigs, and still think they're fine guns, but where as a finely tuned 1911 or Sig could be considered the Rolls Royce of combat handguns, the Glock is the Mack truck. They work hard and don't mind a lot of dirt.
7.62 Precision wrote:Except that pulling the trigger on one is like pulling the pin on a grenade!
I think, I hope ( not really sure :wink: ) you're referring to the "sponginess of a factory Glock trigger, not that they blow up a lot. The installation of a $25 Ghost trigger connector that allows for the removal of the horrendous over-travel will amaze you. You can stay with either the 5# or drop (be careful here) to a 3.5#. I've used a 5# for years and am about to switch to the 3.5#. Shortening the "reset" of the trigger by removing the overtravel completely changes how they feel.
7.62 Precision wrote:.... but I do shoot them very well. Seems most people do, and they tend to be simple and reliable, so I admire them for those points.
So do a lot of people, that's why they sell so well. :wink: IMHO the Glock pistols are the easiest semi-auto's on the market to teach a new shooter to shoot or an experienced revolver shooter to transition too for use as a self defense/combat pistol. The "KISS" principle should be Glock's motto.
tman wrote:I'm holding out for a single stack 9MM with at least a 7 shot clip. 8 would be nicer.
Me too, IMHO that would be the perfect concealed gun.

BTW.....did I tell you I like Glocks. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

firefuzz wrote:[
7.62 Precision wrote:Except that pulling the trigger on one is like pulling the pin on a grenade!
I think, I hope ( not really sure :wink: ) you're referring to the "sponginess of a factory Glock trigger, not that they blow up a lot.
Rob
Nope -- he meant that they blow up a lot -- dozens of documented Glock ka-booms . - poorly supported chambers is the cause for most of them. Given t hat Glock has 3/4 of the police market and a whole lot of civilians have them too, I wonder what the %of Glock fails actually is vs a less popular brand though :?:
----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I was referring to KABOOMs. It was a toungue-in-cheek post though. On some forums, it would result in a raging debate between those who believe that the plans for the 1911 were handed down from heaven engraved on gold tablets to the prophet John Moses Browning and the polymerists who worship at the alter of Gaston Glock, whose pistol is the final incarnation of perfection.

In reality, the Glock is prone to certain types of failure that will normally not happen if ammunition is right. Many Glocks have blown apart, maost chambered in .40 S&W, but some in other calibers too. My guess is that in most of these cases, faulty reloads or even faulty factory ammo was the culprit.

How many people have we met who feel that they have to push the limit on all of their reloads? I fired a guy's Glock 20 once and the recoil has heavy enough to cause my grip on the pistol to break - they were that hot. On top of that, his reloads were jamming the pistol just out of battery - the striker was still dropping and denting the primers, but not firing them. I stepped away.

In a course once a guy was having a lot of jams with his G21. It jammed up hard and we stopped the course and I began to deal with the pistol. It was slightly out of battery and jammed solid. It took some major force to get the pistol apart (including hammering). I said, "What are you shooting?" He said, "Oh, it is the stuff I picked up at the range." I said, "I didn't think they sold ammo?" He said, "They were in a pile on the ground. I picked them up." They were scary ugly - bulges, cases split, the ugliest reloads I have ever seen.

On the other hand, other pistols do have a better margin of safety. Just an aftermarket barrel on a Glock can make a difference.

I fired badly overpressure factory loads once in my XD - pretty sure it would have been a painful experience in a Glock.

I still think that most Glock explosions are the result of overpressure rounds, squibs followed by live rounds, or cases that have been reloaded incorrectly or too many times. It is a design that was originally intended for normal pressure 9mm.

The guy at Springfield Armory told me that they get pistols back almost weekly that have had a squib fired followed by a full pressure load.

On the other hand, both rear frame rails broke off of my Glock 31 while I was shooting it.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

They certainly are not a good looking gun, but just speaking for mine, a gen 2 G19, it has never failed. It is completely stock, I figure I have roughly 20K rounds through it, and it just goes bang every time. I am not a cleaning nut so it's good it doesn't need it much. Woods, boat, where ever it's a good companion tool and that's why I like it. I have lots of other guns I like a lot better, but the G19 really does serve its purpose. I also am not very attached to it as I know if I have to replace it I can always get another one and won't be able to tell the difference.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jazman wrote: I have lots of other guns I like a lot better, but the G19 really does serve its purpose. I also am not very attached to it as I know if I have to replace it I can always get another one and won't be able to tell the difference.
That's the beauty of its success --- lots of us don't necessarily like them, but wouldn't be without one regardless

I love double action revolvers myself, -- but its nice to have 15 rounds at the ready in a nightstand gun --- home invasions usually are carried out with multiple guys' -- I'd hate to wind up throwing my Detective Special at 'em if I ran dry :lol: (lots of hypotheticals there though -- but nobody wants to be that 2% statistic )
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Streetstar wrote:
firefuzz wrote:[
I think, I hope ( not really sure :wink: ) you're referring to the "sponginess of a factory Glock trigger, not that they blow up a lot.
Rob
Nope -- he meant that they blow up a lot -- dozens of documented Glock ka-booms . - poorly supported chambers is the cause for most of them. Given t hat Glock has 3/4 of the police market and a whole lot of civilians have them too, I wonder what the %of Glock fails actually is vs a less popular brand though :?:
Good point. I've actually seen more 1911's come apart in one afternoon at an IPSC match (4) than I have Glocks (3) since I've been shooting and teaching handgun schools. BUT.....like 7.62 said that was due to a bunch of idiots hot rodding custom 38 Supers trying to make major. The three Glocks I've personally seen with frame failures, 2 model 22's and one model 20, were all using reloads.

However I do know of a very large metro PD near me that sent all there Glock 40's (mostly 22's) back for 9mm's after their policy changed to carrying their weapons light mounted 24/7 and they started having a LOT of malfunctions during their first qualification session. A hi-speed tape of a Glock 22 with the same light mounted showed the forward frame (dust cover section) twisting like a telephone pole in a tornado with sometimes almost 3/8" of separation between the frame and the slide. Very scary tape. I'm not sure if these guns were late Gen 3 or Gen 4 guns. (I think Gen 3)

All my Glocks (5) are 9mm. A lot of people poo-poo the 9mm but I've seen more police shooting in my area in the last 15 years with the perps shot DRT with a 9mm than with a 40 or 45. And with the light recoil I shoot them well and I shoot them fast. I don't feel under-gunned carrying a 9mm.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

rbertalotto wrote:Have you read the book "Glock-American Gun"....???

Amazing, can't put it down, type of book. If you like firearms, business stories and intrigue...It is a MUST READ!

I read the book awhile back and completely agree
I am one gun away from happy
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

firefuzz,
any chance us peasantry can see that video?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 1911 and a Glock 22 in .40 cal. I do not reload for either of them, probably should, and can't see the need to go beyond factory for those cartridges. If I hotrod anything, it is in a Ruger revolver. Maximum loads of .44 Magnum or .480 Ruger in big revolvers which are designed for those pressures is the way I go when I want to take a beating. My 1911 and my Glock have neither one given even a single bit of trouble if you discount the second shot from brand new with the 1911 while using Wolf ammo. I probably should have cleaned more than the inside of the barrel, but it only failed to completely eject that single case and not one problem since. I don't like the feel of the Glock handle. My son really likes it, and it will become his in a couple of years when he turns 21, even though he doesn't know it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mescalero wrote:firefuzz,
any chance us peasantry can see that video?
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. I asked for a copy of it back when this was all going on (about 5 years ago) and was told it couldn't be released (at least at that time) as there was a possible law suit pending. I'm pretty sure that's all over now but I'll have to check. The only reason I got to see it was the fact that I was still on the job and was the firearms instructor for my agency and we were contemplating changing from 9mm to .40. I was also well known to the instruction staff of this PD. I will see if they can release it now.

Rob

Because I can!