Dallas Safari Club show.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Dallas Safari Club show.

Post by piller »

Thursday I was able to make the Dallas Safari Club's show, called Generations, at the Dallas Convention Center. While there I noticed several places selling leverguns. Wild West Guns, Turnbull Manufacturing, and several others. I also saw and drooled over a bunch of really nice knives and some examples of leatherwork that were really nice. SightHunter bought a book from Colonel Boddington and had it autographed. I purchased some bullets from Northfork. Now, I need to get some Reloader 7 and try the bullets out and see what they do on paper.

Has anyone else gone to the show. I think CRS was there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dallas Safari Club show.

Post by Borregos »

What are you going to be loading with the new bullets and Reloder 7?
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento ... -cps.html/ These North Fork bullets in my Guide Gun. I am not yet sure what I will be going after with them, but I have been toying with the idea of finding a place to hunt a bear. The 2 guys from North Fork at the show both said that Reloader 7 was the powder of choice, so I will try it.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I understand they raffled off a permit for a Black Rino for 350,000 bucks....wow :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:I understand they raffled off a permit for a Black Rino for 350,000 bucks....wow :shock:
From the photo I saw of it, the rhino looked like it needed a walker and oxygen generator.
That's a lot of money for a cull hunt.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree. The story I heard did mention that the rhino was going to be removed from the population whether the hunt was raffled off or not. I assume it is to allow the poor old fellow an end to any suffering.
D. Brian Casady
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

piller wrote:I agree. The story I heard did mention that the rhino was going to be removed from the population whether the hunt was raffled off or not. I assume it is to allow the poor old fellow an end to any suffering.
Everyone bidding knew the deal going in. In this case it was about making a "donation" to proper wildlife management in Namibia. The "taking" of the black rhino was more of a catalyst to fuel the donation.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
I worked the Dallas Woods and Waters Club booth some Thursday and Saturday and wandered around the show some also. On Saturday, I saw R Krodle with 86er and his two boys. The boys shot at the laser target range we had in the DWWC booth as did my grandson and dozens/hundreds of kids over the course of the show; some fun! You could shoot critters, targets, play combat training games, etc with rifles or pistols. It was amazing how well those kids could shoot the laser guns- must be all those hours playing video games. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I guess I missed the DWWC booth. I'm still using one crutch and was pretty tired before I got to see all the booths. Lots of folks at the show. I left drool on several double rifles. I may have a red stag hunt in my near future once I iron out the details.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was there Thursday, and it was not enough time. That is one big show. I really loved the Turnbull rifles on display. Now, SightHunter is serious about completing her college degree and getting a job so that she can save up for a Safari. She has been reading her book that I bought her and Colonel Boddington autographed to her, and she really wants a buffalo. I would like for her to take one with a levergun, but that might not be doable. She needs the youth sized rifles for her frame. If I could find a good 1886 that I could buy for her and change the stock, I might be able to load up some solids, or even work with Grizzly Cartridge, and get something that would do the job. She handles the recoil of my Guide Gun well. I am leaning toward a Ruger bolt action in .375 caliber and having it sized to her just because it would not present any difficulties with ammo. I still want to go back, and we may make it a family trip. Heck, maybe Wild West Guns could fix her up with something if we find an 1886 that the wood is not in great shape and the metal is still good. Maybe even a Miroku made 1886 with a new stock.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

All - sorry not to have told you about the laser shooting range in the DWWC booth, but I BEEN SICK with bad cold and bronchitis for 3 weeks and was barely well enough to work the booth.
Next year, I will remind all to stop and visit booth.

Piller - of course you can take a cape buff with a lever gun! 86er has taken several and I have taken one as have lots of other folks. Be sure and post if you ever get serious about such a project. :)

Piller - However, for a first safari, a plains game hunt will provide more shooting opportunities for your daughter than a DG hunt. It is also a good way to get a good feel for Africa before taking on the more challenging DG hunt.
Last edited by crs on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

There's enough of us in TX that maybe we should meet up next year, and pull a cork at one of the watering holes and watch the fur coats on display! :D - Brian
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrianSH wrote:There's enough of us in TX that maybe we should meet up next year, and pull a cork at one of the watering holes and watch the fur coats on display! :D - Brian
I'm in! I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe get together Friday night during the event. Last Saturday night we had some drinks with a friend and his wife (former forum member). Great fellowship.

I was also thinking there's enough forum members in the OKC area I wouldn't mind having a drink/coffee/shooting event/mini gun show/bbq/pow wow with 'em.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Dallas Safari Club does this every year. Maybe we could have a bunch of us meet up on a Saturday or something. They close at 6pm, so going after work is sort of too late in the day.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I am there every year, so lets remember to set it up for 2015. :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That sounds good. We should get as many of us as possible to go to the show, maybe spend some time drooling over the Turnbull rifles, and then all go out to eat together.
D. Brian Casady
SIGHTHUNTER09
Levergunner

Post by SIGHTHUNTER09 »

I went to Dallas Safari Club Show for my first year of 2014. Piller and Sighthunter will meet our friend to Dallas Safari Club Show in 2015. My second year in Dallas Safari Club of 2015. I love Safari and bunch of animals. I am with Piller now. I will finish my college end of 2018. Then I will go with Piller to Safari,Texas and Kansas area to Hunt.
Devonna Casady
SIGHTHUNTER09

NRA- Life Members
Hunts all seasons