DNA Test ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

DNA Test ?

Post by cshold »

Any of y'all that dabble around with family history & ancestry
ever think about or have this DNA test done?
I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

http://dna.ancestry.com/
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: DNA Test ?

Post by Mescalero »

My half brother did, that is when he told me I qualify to be a son of the American Revolution.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife has been after me to get one done. She keeps saying it's only $ 99 and Imight find some family. I was adopted from an orphanage when I was baby.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I know Hobie's real big into ancestry, I wonder if he's done it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie is the one who told me it's a big deal.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Hospital blog sites are full of embarrassing stories about DNA testing and blood type comparisons

When I seriously researched my family, we learned my that my great grandfather killed my great grandmother. Happened way before my time & before my mom was born, but the story greatly distressed my mother.

If you learn something unsettling, just be a man about it.

Go for it!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If a Benjamin won't break the bank, do it.

Do research, this is still a technology in its infancy, and it's not terribly accurate

Research this particular group for results

Research, there's more than one place that offers this service

If you can swing it, do two (or more) different labs and compare the results.

As far as the latter, these websites are the front end, make sure actual analysis is done at different labs.

And if it's not too private, post results.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Yes I would imagine there's indeed potential to expose family
ghosts with a test like this. :shock: :)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wonder whom they'll lie about sharing your DNA with, and which unscupulous and malicious government agency is already hacking their database to get information and then distributing it to those who 'need to know'.

I'm kidding. I already know which one it is.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:I wonder whom they'll lie about sharing your DNA with, and which unscupulous and malicious government agency is already hacking their database to get information and then distributing it to those who 'need to know'.

I'm kidding. I already know which one it is.

I can always count on your bright, cheerful ray of sunshine, triple dipped in lunacy, to light up my day :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:I can always count on your bright, cheerful ray of sunshine, triple dipped in lunacy, to light up my day :lol:
I do try... really...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I sent my test in to them a month ago, haven't gotten my results yet. They say 8-12 weeks, The reason I did it is that I am adopted and I've always been curious about my ethnicity. Looking forward to getting an answer
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Just be aware that DNA testing is only going to match your genetic markers with those of various ethnic groups. It's not going to be like Roots with individual ancestors named. Truth is the vast majority of us die and are buried or cremated with no viable nucleic acids remaining for testing.

DNA testing is extremely accurate for parentage if you have samples on the individuals in question.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

We have our lineage back to 1692. SAR in local chapter here in pa. Direct descendent of two presidents. Ancestry is pretty interesting but I don't think I want the DNA test. Good luck with that
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

44shooter has it right. There were no DNA samples taken from the passengers of the Mayflower.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my bro had the test done and it has turned up some missing links and surprising, unknown information. we would never have gotten this info without the dna code.

there are broken links in our stateside history, probably burned documents in revol and civil wars. the best way to connect is to find someone coming from the other direction.

good hunting in your searches

Grizz
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I know who my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents were. They were the ones who raised me. Considering that the parentage of about 1/7th of children is misattributed and there is no certainty of biological connections beyond three generations it doesn't much matter.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My linage documented back to 1630.
Both sides Norman,s

I know I can be conceeded at times but what do you expect my parents always told me our women back in the old ship days could kick the sh## of everyone else,s men. :D

Oh, and I am related to Jane Seymour ,Dr. Quinn
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I've traced my family on my moms side to before they made the journey on the trail of tears. My dads side is german and dutch. Just a tid bit of my confusion.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Harry,
Oh my,
The Trail of Tears, you have my condolences.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Theory is everyone out of Africa North of The Yemen is pretty well related to each other. You and me have Attila the Hun probably as a common ancestor, lots of Hun DNA across Europe. If your ancestors come from Britain they probably have Germanic, Celtic and Viking DNA.

If you have an uncommon surname you probably share DNA will others who have a similar name unless your family came through Alice Island and the Immigration Official gave your family a new name.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

A big part of what is wrong today is all this "need" to relate to an ancestry. After you get it figured out I suppose the next step is to hyphenate your heritage and then your loyalty.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I heard about a Blonde who wanted a DNA test on her kid just to be sure it was hers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SJPrice wrote:A big part of what is wrong today is all this "need" to relate to an ancestry. After you get it figured out I suppose the next step is to hyphenate your heritage and then your loyalty.

Heck I was just thinking about doing the DNA test for the fun of it. :D

"I suppose the next step is to hyphenate your heritage and then your loyalty"

The above is why I'm in this forum and other gun based forums, a life member
of the NRA, a voter in every election, and a USAF veteran. 8)
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

casastahle wrote:
SJPrice wrote:A big part of what is wrong today is all this "need" to relate to an ancestry. After you get it figured out I suppose the next step is to hyphenate your heritage and then your loyalty.

Heck I was just thinking about doing the DNA test for the fun of it. :D

"I suppose the next step is to hyphenate your heritage and then your loyalty"

The above is why I'm in this forum and other gun based forums, a life member
of the NRA, a voter in every election, and a USAF veteran. 8)
My remark was not meant for any one in particular. I was just thinking out loud in general.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd do it, can't hurt. Government already has my DNA (literally) but that may concern you the way some folks don't use their SSN on the 4473 as though the government won't know it is really them. I haven't because I'm cheap. There are DNA services that do more than just ethnicity, they actually compare your DNA to others in their database for actual familial connections.

As to some other comments made in this topic. I'm currently working on the descendents of Abraham Jacquith (II) killed in King Phillip's War a great grandfather of mine (I'll just go with that if you don't mind) and found that his grand-daughter married another great-grandfather (Amos Richardson) so ended up doing all those. Very interesting. One can track migration patterns, find interesting political associations, and so forth. Sometimes one particular black sheep of the family will initiate a branch that is dissolute for several generations. Those currently living are 7th and 10th cousins to me so not particularly close but they are interesting.

I am not on any ancestry forums. Some of those people are "odd". :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Hobie wrote:There are DNA services that do more than just ethnicity, they actually compare your DNA to others in their database for actual familial connections.
Yes Hobie, that can be done. I was saying the database will be limited though. I just wanted the OP to realize what they can and cannot do.