Maybe illegal....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Maybe illegal....

Post by Nath »

in most states but not in the state of England.....yet!

To use a flashlight in the pursuit of varmints!
Good old fox was love struck but we have too many!
Sooo...good ole' Parker Hale sxs non ejector all rusty n' all with 2&3/4" chambers hurled some English#1s and 4s at this big old fox.
Tia was present and made the speedy retrieve from forty or so yards!
I had just stepped out to split some wood when I heard him barking not far away!

Best wishes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Maybe illegal....

Post by gamekeeper »

That sure cooled his ardour...... :D
Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Nice size fox. Well done
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In Texas, just about anything is legal in pursuit of predatory species (hogs and coyotes, etc) short of nuclear weapons.

If you can figure out how to get into flamethrower range, I'm pretty sure it's legal.... :)

Suppressed rifles with night vision certainly are.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DANG ! ! - That is one big durn Fox, proly the biggest I've ever seen.

Congrats, Nath !

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Many states in the US allow night hunting with lights for varmints. Some like my home state of Massachusetts allow night hunting for varmints but not with a light. It goes back to the old days when the state had few deer and the main worry was that someone could state they were hunting fox but actually taking deer illegally.

We have to wait for moonlit nights with a good snowcover to hunt at night effectively.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

He's a good size, certainly doesn't look like he's been going hungry.
Another 40 like him and you'll be able to make yourself a lovely winter blanket.
I'm just guessing but I bet 99% of foxes in Oz would be shot at night with a spotlight.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Heck, even here in Kommiefornia we can use lights with certain restrictions.

That fox is as big as our desert coyotes. Nice going.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is a big boy for sure. Nicely done.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In this state, we can use lights on fox and coyote, no lasers. We can't use shot larger than #4 on fox for some reason.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

JReed wrote:That is a big boy for sure. Nicely done.
Maybe Nath is just a very small man?? Just kidding. That one's a good bit larger than the average red running around my area.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

What do you do with the furs? Any market for the hides there?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rjohns94 wrote:In this state, we can use lights on fox and coyote, no lasers. We can't use shot larger than #4 on fox for some reason.
I always forget the difference between English and american sizes but #4 is my favourite for fox being an avid believer in dense patterns over an individual pellets energy value.
rossim92 wrote:What do you do with the furs? Any market for the hides there?
Nothing, nobody is interested and way tomany of them....worms goota eat!

N. :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

WOW, that's some kinda big old fox! You did good once again. Keep up the fine "work" and having fun in your neck of the woods.

Looks in the picture like you're giving him a good talking to. Perhaps if he had gotten a proper tongue lashing about his behavior before he ran into you, his story might have had a different ending! :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GoatGuy wrote:WOW, that's some kinda big old fox! You did good once again. Keep up the fine "work" and having fun in your neck of the woods.

Looks in the picture like you're giving him a good talking to. Perhaps if he had gotten a proper tongue lashing about his behavior before he ran into you, his story might have had a different ending! :lol:
:lol:
Yer know what... it is a kinder `at last` look! Some of these animals I have been after for a while and been eye to eye more than once, out smarted by them many times.

There is a vixen that has been giving me the run around for a couple of years now...heck I even know her kids! I wonder where she is every night.....do I need therapy :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Thank you for the photo ! That sure brought back some memories. Red fox is a challenging species to hunt.
My first red fox was shot with my old Iver Johnson 12 bore 32" barrel "Trap Special" using US #2 shot. Was out running fox with Fred Chabot and his beagles. Ol' Snoopy was leading the 3 dog pack and howly like a symphony. We were up on the bluff waiting and trotting along came the red. Fred who always carried a Win. caliber .243 said.. "Take him, Mike" That Iver held a tight patten (still does) and wapped that red down at 45 paces. Fred then put a HP through it to be sure. That was 1967.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

In most of NC, you can't even shoot foxes. They can only be taken with dogs.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
Thank you for the photo ! That sure brought back some memories. Red fox is a challenging species to hunt.
My first red fox was shot with my old Iver Johnson 12 bore 32" barrel "Trap Special" using US #2 shot. Was out running fox with Fred Chabot and his beagles. Ol' Snoopy was leading the 3 dog pack and howly like a symphony. We were up on the bluff waiting and trotting along came the red. Fred who always carried a Win. caliber .243 said.. "Take him, Mike" That Iver held a tight patten (still does) and wapped that red down at 45 paces. Fred then put a HP through it to be sure. That was 1967.
Mike in Peru
1967! Thats when I was born you old pha....... :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do like the way that Texas lets you use any means to take predators and wild hogs. There are some very destructive hogs in the area. That is a very nice looking fox. A couple more of those and your wife could have a high class fur wrap.

Leaving work about a week back, I saw a red fox right in town. Waxahachie, Texas, and it was between the Walgreens and the S.A.G.U. campus just trotting down the road. It appeared to be comfortable with cars and moved out of the way for me to go on my way, but it didn't even watch me. I wish I could have had my Henry .22lr with me and I could have had a nice dead fox and a bunch of mad police officers over someone shooting in the city limits. Maybe it is best that I didn't have it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost