Marine's Memorial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Marine's Memorial

Post by KiwiKev »

Today the family and I were out and about enjoying a hot summer's day when we popped in and visited the Marine memorial at Fort Mackay near a town called Paekakariki along the south west coast of New Zealand's North Island. It was a very sobering visit. Roosevelt sent a division of Marine's (1st Division I think) They were here preparing for Guadalcanal. What was sad was reading about a number of marine's who drowned when a landing exercise went wrong. A rough surf tossed their landing craft badly. It was also very sad to read about the fact that many could not swim. They chose Paekakariki because it allowed the Marine's access to a range to practice jungle warfare. Nothing of Fort Mackay exists today. They dismantled everything when the last Marine's left for the Pacific. One assuming story was how the Marines used to sneak into a nearby town for R and R. The locals called the track the Marines used the "Yankee trail". But as most of the marines wee southerners they called it something else. The other amusing story involved the Marines shoot a live artillery round into Paekakariki by mistake. Lots of damage done but no one hurt!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marine's Memorial

Post by JReed »

Yep it was the 1st Marine Division. That is really cool that you got to see it. If I ever win the lottery I would love to go visit all the sites for the island hoping campaign.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

KiwiKev wrote: The locals called the track the Marines used the "Yankee trail". But as most of the marines wee southerners they called it something else.
I'm going to mess this up, but I always heard...

To the world, a "Yankee" is someone from the United States
In the US, a Yankee is someone from the north.
In the northern US, a Yankee is someone from New England.
In New England, a Yankee is someone from Vermont.
In Vermont, and Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

We call anyone from north of the Red River a Yankee. Really makes the Okies (and Texans in the panhandle) mad :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

So no one calls themself a "Yankee" but it is term people apply to others?
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Hey Jeremy there is also an old US Naval hospital up the road in Silverstream. It features of the attached link when Eleanor Roosevelt visits the place in 1943.

https://archive.org/details/gov.fdr.210

Stonewall lodge is still there.

http://staywithus.co.nz/test/wp-content ... -Lodge.jpg
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

vancelw wrote:
KiwiKev wrote: We call anyone from north of the Red River a Yankee. Really makes the Okies (and Texans in the panhandle) mad :lol:
Yes it does. :x lol

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

KiwiKev wrote:So no one calls themself a "Yankee" but it is term people apply to others?
Pretty much. I can only guess it's been considered a derogatory term since the British referred to the American colonists as Yankees.

The other saying is that a Yankee is someone from the north who comes down to visit and then goes home.
A #$%@^& Yankee is one who comes down and stays.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

firefuzz wrote:
vancelw wrote:
KiwiKev wrote: We call anyone from north of the Red River a Yankee. Really makes the Okies (and Texans in the panhandle) mad :lol:
Yes it does. :x lol

Rob
:lol: I'm within a few miles of the Red River...I guess I like living on the edge :lol: Indian Nation Turnpike is my first route out on most of my excursions.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

vancelw wrote:
KiwiKev wrote:So no one calls themself a "Yankee" but it is term people apply to others?
Pretty much. I can only guess it's been considered a derogatory term since the British referred to the American colonists as Yankees.

The other saying is that a Yankee is someone from the north who comes down to visit and then goes home.

There's a few guys around here that throw the term around more freely
than others. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:
vancelw wrote:

There's a few guys around here that throw the term around more freely
than others. :D

jb 8)
:lol: :lol: Funny....I was just thinking of you... :lol: :lol: Of course you know, all my in-laws are from your neck of the woods, so I do tend to use expletives a bit often with the term :lol:
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

JReed wrote:Yep it was the 1st Marine Division. That is really cool that you got to see it. If I ever win the lottery I would love to go visit all the sites for the island hoping campaign.
Been a dream of mine too.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

For those of you who like to read..

E. B. Sledge - With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
E. B. Sledge - China Marine
Chuck Tatum - Red Blood, Black Sand
Robert Leckie - Helmet for my Pillow

The above are the book the HBO series, "The Pacific" was based on. The book below was written after the series.

R.V. Burgin - Islands of the darned (my copy is autographed :mrgreen: . He is at the Dallas Gun Show quite often. Fine man)

Really makes you appreciate those 1st Division Marines. They went through Normandy Beach-type hades every time they assaulted a different island.

Semper Fi