7.62 precision

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

7.62 precision

Post by Mescalero »

Hopefully Blaine will add a picture soon.
What would you do to get this dark, and make it presentable?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 7.62 precision

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote: What would you do to get this dark, and make it presentable?
I believe I can answer that --- How about a spot of SPF 2 or 3 coconut oil and about 15 minutes per side laying on the beach at high noon ? Whooop !
You will get the dark Johnny Weismueller effect in a few days and have to change your name and phone number due to all the attention from the ladies !

:| :| :| -- see that little face to the left? -- Its dead - serious, not laughing at all
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Hopefully Blaine will add a picture soon.
What would you do to get this dark, and make it presentable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Do you mean the metal?

What is the finish now? Is it nickel or chrome?

I would generally coat it. I use Duracoat, but KG Gunkote and Cerakote both work well. Any of the three will be about equal in performance for most users. Duracoat is easy because you don't have to cook it. Use an airbrush.

Prep is very important, the coating is easy, but the prep is critical.

I don't coat the rails on a pistol like that, nor the barrel, unless a customer insists (The rails not at all).

Am I headed in the right direction to answer your question?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If Mescalero is talking about the metal, I think bead blasting would look super if it's stainless. If it's plated, I no longer have an opinion on it.
I think the grips are cool as is.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is stainless, do I need to blast it?
The grips are birds eye maple, you or anyone else can have them after octagon sends me some mesquite to make new ones.
7.62 I like the flat black 1911 on your website, I would like to achieve that look.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:It is stainless, do I need to blast it?
The grips are birds eye maple, you or anyone else can have them after octagon sends me some mesquite to make new ones.
7.62 I like the flat black 1911 on your website, I would like to achieve that look.
I sure like it on my custom SBH.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Mescalero wrote:It is stainless, do I need to blast it?
Do you mean the black/chrome one? If so, you are the first person ever to pick up on the fact that it is two sides of one pistol, not two pistols!

Yes, if you are going to coat it, you want to blast it, but never with glass bead. I use Aluminum Oxide 100 grit (the only grit we can get in AK). If necessary, you could use other media like slag that will give a good tooth the the metal surface. You can also prep with sandpaper or even a Scotch pad, but blasting is best.

Dissassemble the pistol and set aside the parts that you won't coat.

Remove all grease and oil. I use solvent tanks filled with a very high-tech solvent, which I get at the grocery store: lacquer thinner. I soak the firearms for some time. I don't use it on anything polymer, and keep it far away from rubber - even the fumes wreck rubber.

You can also use any brake cleaner that flashes off dry, but I hate the stuff - use a breather. It is good for doing one firearm.

Make sure it is dry, even in tight places.

Mask parts that you don't want blasted and blast the parts.

Hang the parts and spray with flat black Duracoat. The distance of the airbrush from the surface and the air pressure will determine the surface texture and sheen. Practice on something else until you get the effect that you like.

If you want it very flat, use matte clear coat. Keep in mind that holster wear will polish the Duracoat, so even if it is flat, it will get some sheen on the high edges from use.

Let it harden for at least 24 hours before assembly. The longer the better for hardness. You can assemble, lube, and fire after 24 hrs. 3-4 weeks gets you the full hardness. I recommend letting the pistol sit or use only for light duty for the first couple weeks. At least don't take a shooting course or do 300 draws from a Kydex® holster for the first few weeks.

I don't bake it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In Phoenix, in summer; unless you are an air conditioned car or inside, you are going to sweat.
It served this purpose very well, but I never liked the appearence of the gun.
Thank you for the tips.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, I meant that one.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Mescalero you are right, that birdseye is ugly, and should never be used except on banjos. Fortunately, my gene pool is to deep for banjos. Anther ranch trip next week for three days. I have not seen hide nor hair of the big Burl yet, but it ain't going anywhere. I Cover a lot more ground in the summer when it's too hot to work in the afternoon, and tend to just drive around and look. It is sure gonna look tight on that thing for sure.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My handle says it all.
I am a patient man,
my teacher spent a great deal of effort on this concept.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

So just leave the parts that you want to remain silver, and go with a flat black, hit it at about 25 psi for a flatter sheen, or hit it with a matte clear coat to make it flat like you see in the photo.

If you don't have an airbrush, just get an inexpensive one. You can get a basic setup cheaper than you can pay a good finisher to coat it.

We find that the nicest finishes we see are those done by individuals on their own firearms, not the ones done by professional coaters.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Friends are into ceramics, they have a nice air brush set up for thier finishes on stuff.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero - Your Star looks like a good piece! Also think you're on the right track with what you want to do to the finish, and I like your idea of replacing the maple for mesquite grip panels. Looking forward to a picture of the finished project.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OK, will do.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Mescalero wrote:Friends are into ceramics, they have a nice air brush set up for thier finishes on stuff.
You mean Cerakote on firearms or airbrushing on ceramic pieces?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

They do ceramics, unless cerrakote will harm their airbrush ; I am sure they will let me use it, if not I probably should buy my own.
I have a lot of single action pistols ( they all shoot ) but I use them as decor in the N.M. mountain house.
Some of the finishes have seen better days.
I would like to spiff them up, make new grips and put them all under plexiglass.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

OK, that is what I thought you meant. You won't hurt their airbrushes, just do proper cleanup (lacquer thinner or Duracoat reducer). I would advise that you use DuraCoat as you don't have to worry about an oven to bake the finish if you use Duracoat. You don't want to use the oven in your kitchen.