knife help pls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

knife help pls

Post by Grizz »

I am looking for an American made pocket knife. Buck and Case have some US made knives, are they ALL made in USA?

Something like a Barlow, Canoe, or 501, with useful steel but NOT the super-spendy show pieces. I carry knives, use them, and I lose them.

Where are the good internet spots to look? Amazon is not one of them.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: knife help pls

Post by MrMurphy »

About half of Spydercos are made in the US, as are Kershaws.

Most Bucks are still made here.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kershaws are now made in China, at least the one I have right here is. Case makes a nice Barlow as does Bear MGC or whatever their name is now. Boker makes a nice one but they are German.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Have you tried Smoky Mountain Knife?

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

I get their print catalog and they have a huge selection.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am looking at my spyderco native right now.
It is the only non-serrated spyderco's I know of
It has etched on the blade
Golden Colorado USA Earth
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

BUCK does have a line of imports. A mandatory business decision to remain competitive. They're assembled in Taiwan to meet company's high standards. But most of BUCK knives are made in Idaho. Their folding Alpha Hunter is a little heavy for EDC but it's a bargain for less than $70. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

CASE still builds their knives in USA. But pricing is appropriate considering USA overhead costs.

Queen Cutlery is an older USA company with several derivative names such as Colonel Coon, Eastern Cutlery, and Canal Street. Like Case, pricing is not cheap but neither is the quality.

I own a three blade sowbelly stockman knife which is for everyday carry use. It's built by BOKER which is the largest cutlery company in the world. The Magnum line up has these features: steel is from Spain, bone handle scales from Argentina, assembly in China. This is a high quality knife that holds an edge exceptionally well. If interested, go to eBay. Type in - knife Boker magnum sowbelly - and you'll see this knife.

BOKER also has a line up named Tree Brand which is assembled in Germany. I own one of these in the two blade folding hunter style which features chrome vanadium high carbon steel. It's not stainless steel. Edge is scary sharp.

Hoping this was helpful.

TR
Last edited by t.r. on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Gerber Combat Folder.
Built like a tank
Tough as a hammer
Not so pricy you don't mind losing it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
Look at the picture in my 7.62 precision post.
The knife is a Gerber Paraframe, good little knife.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Tree brand copperhead german made
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Go to the Smoky Mountain Knifeworks web page. On most of the knife entries, they do not the country of origin.

That has helped me on several buying decisions.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

I like the Scherade "Uncle Henry" stockman, three blade, fits my hand, easy to sharpen, stays sharp til next rainy day, takes farm work/abuse well and ain't pricey. I have worn out many, broke a few and lost a few over about forty five years of carrying this knife. Just a good everyday work knife. Best part is MADE IN USA.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grizz wrote:
I am looking for an American made pocket knife.

I've learned to stay away from Smokey Mountain & Atlanta Cutlery, since most of their knives are imports, many not made of the best steel (IMO).

Good quality knives of various brands/makers may be found online at:

Canoe knives - http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... es&b=canoe&

Barlow knives - http://www.barlow-knives.com/

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Grizz - A.G. Russell!!! (agrussell.com) Not kidding one bit.

If you can't find a knife there that suits you, you won't find one anywhere. A. G. Russell Co. has been around since 1964. A.G. is a highly regarded cutlery expert and his company is the best source for knives and knife info in what once was the "free world". Plan on setting aside some time when you check out the site, as there are so many choices and so much knife info there it can consume lots of your time. Does mine. Great presentation, colorful site and lots of knives to consider. In my opinion, a visit well worth the time spent.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:I am looking for an American made pocket knife. Buck and Case have some US made knives, are they ALL made in USA?

Something like a Barlow, Canoe, or 501, with useful steel but NOT the super-spendy show pieces. I carry knives, use them, and I lose them.

Meander down to the Wes Knodle show in Centralia on the 8th or 9th....several will have lightly used pocket knives....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mark08 wrote:I like the Scherade "Uncle Henry" stockman, three blade, fits my hand, easy to sharpen, stays sharp til next rainy day, takes farm work/abuse well and ain't pricey. I have worn out many, broke a few and lost a few over about forty five years of carrying this knife. Just a good everyday work knife. Best part is MADE IN USA.
Sadly, not made in the USA anymore.... :( :( (Putting on flame suit) They seem to be as good as ever, though. :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the "not made in the USA" knife scene isn't all bad, as there's some pretty-decently-made blades out there.

Witness some of the fine points eminating from Japan & Germany (Boker, Puma, etc), among others.

I would definitely stay far away from blades stamped as made in India, China, Pakistan, etc - as, even though some appear to be nice, I've found through sad experience that many won't even take a fine/sharp edge, much less keep the edge sharp for more than a few cuts of whatever.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a new Buck knife at the factory store at the Buck factory in Post Falls Idaho a couple years ago. It is stamped on the blade...made in CHINA.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I ordered a BUCK filet knife a few years ago when I got it I opened the box and saw CHINA on the blade and sent it right back. Then I started doing research and found that a lot of companies had to start importing knives to reach a price point. A lot of them still have an American line, it's just buyer beware. There is also a line of PUMAs made in Japan.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Benchmade are USA. Mini Griptilian's are my edc. I've got a couple of the larger Axis Lock for specific uses, but I work the heck out of my Mini Griptilians. That Axis Lock is the bee's knees for me. They get stronger as they wear. You'll never have one accidentally fold on you. I usually pay $60 for them on ebay. I have gotten used ones for $40
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like a benchmade folder with axis lock, blade assist for every day carry. Been doing so for 20 years. My EDFB is an AG Russel STING Both USA made and have been dependable knives for decades for me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for all the tips and links and info. looks like the paraframe is serrated and that's not my thing. but wait, I found one that is straight edged, looks good. spent a lot of time getting crosseyed looking at knives. no decisions yet...
Meander down to the Wes Knodle show in Centralia on the 8th or 9th....several will have lightly used pocket knives....
which is it, 8th, or 9th? are you going? is there a link to the site? I mean, centralia is pretty spread about.....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:thanks for all the tips and links and info. looks like the paraframe is serrated and that's not my thing. spent a lot of time getting crosseyed looking at knives. no decisions yet...
which is it, 8th, or 9th? are you going? is there a link to the site? I mean, centralia is pretty spread about.....
Yep, I'll prolly go down with a couple shooters I'd like to sell......It's at the Fairgrounds....
http://www.wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/centralia.html
You don't have to "join" to buy or sell like the Puyallup shows...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
My Paraframe is NOT serrated.
I have serrated knives, 1 in each truck; just to cut myself out of the seat belt.
That is the only use I have for them.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Case makes a good "stockman's" three blade pocket knife http://cowboyknives.com/casexx6375large ... rbone.aspx .

The Swiss Army kniveshttp://www.victorinox.com/us/content/swissarmy/category/1 from Victorinox are hard to beat.

Tree Brand knives are good, and most Buck knives made in the USA are good. I use all of the brands named above, and consider the Case and Swiss Army the best of the bunch when it comes to price, quality, edge-holding, and ease of sharpening. As I type, I've got a Victorinox multi-tool on my hip, a Swiss Army in my pocket, and a Cold Steel AK-47 in my pant sleeve. All work well.

And BTW, Schrade knives made in China use average steel and are not worth owning, but those made in Taiwan marketed by Taylor Brands are pretty good.

Cold Steel sells a good knife, for the money, especially those using 01 tool steel. I own more Bucks and Cold Steel (mostly Carbon V, once supplied by the now dead Camillus Knife Company - the current one using the same name - Camillus - is not the old trusted one). And finally Ontario Knives still makes a good knife.

Of course you can buy better, for more money, but I don't. My knives get used, beat, chipped, and replaced. Beating, chipping, and then replacing a $300+ knife is not ball of wax.

Wal-Mart is still one of the best places to buy a good using knife.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Great eastern cutlery, Titusville Pa. Best traditional pocket knives made today!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'd drive down just to see Thor. Which day? Besides, might find something I 'need'.

Is there any blm land around we could shoot on?

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:thanks for all the tips and links and info. looks like the paraframe is serrated and that's not my thing. spent a lot of time getting crosseyed looking at knives. no decisions yet...
Yep, I'll prolly go down with a couple shooters I'd like to sell......It's at the Fairgrounds....
http://www.wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/centralia.html
You don't have to "join" to buy or sell like the Puyallup shows...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I saw that and corrected my misspoke.

Missed you twice, first in Mescalero, and then in Dewey..... exact middle of the night both times. my Bad timing.

Mescalero wrote:Grizz,
My Paraframe is NOT serrated.
I have serrated knives, 1 in each truck; just to cut myself out of the seat belt.
That is the only use I have for them.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Homer, thanks for the added info. Now I need to build a spreadsheet and work up a pivot table... or not.

And thanks again to the rest of the guys with input, I appreciate it and am going thru all the roadsigns looking...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You got lucky,
Mescalero, in the middle of the night; is a bad place for a white man to be.
Even I try to avoid it then.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:You got lucky,
well, I went by at a pretty good clip.

:lol: I did, however, in the pass above, see the biggest live bull elk ever, a few feet from my car. that was amazing. then a bunch of cows, at least three different age groups. they ghosted by and disappeared while the matriarch glared at me on the roadside like a crossing guard...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
There are some big elk on the res.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:You got lucky,
I wouldn't go most places after midnight. Nothing good happens after midnight. For some reason, I don't get messed with when I'm out, no matter where....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I think you need this knife here http://www.gbeauchamp.ca/francais/coute ... owie3.html Okay, it is made in Canada and is a little more expensive ($2,000 plus shipping) than something you'd get at the dollar store, but that damascus steel blade and Mammoth molar handle is something else. If you don't like the Mammoth molar handle, he can make you one out of Mammoth tusk ivory, the real deal.

Here is another set of knives that are good for the back of the truck or the toolbox .... made to be used, abused and tossed aside when used as a pry bar. They are, I believe, made in the USA. http://www.mountainhollow.net/knife-bowie.php :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Kirk, I like 'em a lot, but I leapfrogged over that toothpick stuff and got the real deal:

This has a permanent wound channel of about 3 inches and thru penetration. Also works as a great pruning machete with a short shaft, which is the indoor setup.

for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMkgwxObis

lots of wasted whispering time, but eventually death happens
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The spear always seemed like knife throwing...you have just this one weapon, and throw it away :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That's a boar spear, meant for stab-and-hold, not throwing.

The Benchmade Griptilian line is as noted, excellent, I have several.

The Paraframe, for the cost, in either straight, half/half or serrated a good 'disposable' knife. I've given several as presents to non 'knife people'.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a boar spear, meant for stab-and-hold, not throwing.
Cold Steel is not convinced of that...their demo video spent a lot of time throwing them.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yeahbut, he's right, it is a hang-onto type, not smart to throw it away, a throwing spear is the samburu, so you would have several of them and the boar spear, or assagai for close quarters. the boar spear is in the lineage of hewing spears. a number of norse saga accounts have them spliting victims "to the shoulders" and "killing two men at once" with a pass thru a shield, the shield owner, and the guy behind him. obviously not that boar spear design, which is set up to make sure you can retain possession of the tool. I think you don't want a ticked-off bear or boar running at you with your spear bouncing along side...

the samburu people kill lions to prove to the lions that they can. they keep the tails for show and tell.

it's funny to see all the hoopla about firearms, which only result in 10% fatalities I've read. If someone is run thru the boiler room with any of these spears, center mass, it is highly unlikely they will survive. bleedout would be massive and how could it be stopped?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Last edited by bdhold on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Any of the stabbing spears going through history had a real high chance of the stickee being DRT. Large head, massive wound if you hit right. One reason spears were the primary weapon for infantry for millenia, they got the job done at a distance. Pikes and sarissas, etc just made the range even more.

Halberds, glaives and similar kept the good points of the spear and added the joys of being able to hack and hammer or other options. The halberds carried by the Swiss guard are the do-it-all serious injury causers of their time, with a spearhead, axehead, hammer or spike (for armor) as well as a butt spike. Dangerous in every direction with a trained user.

The Norse liked stabbing spears alternated with the large two handed "Danish" axe, axemen could chop through a shield wall and spearmen could stab under/over/around it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

If you know what to look for, ebay is good starting point.

Case still makes some reasonably priced knives.

I like the Great Eastern line of knives, but they are not cheap.

If you loose knives, then I would probably buy cheap knives. China makes some good knives for the money. I have a few Rough Riders that really quite well made and hold an edge good enough. Also the Dozier Design knifes are good knives and have pretty good metal.
NRA Life Member, Patron
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Do you want a Made in America one so it's made in America? Or a Made in America one, so it's not made in China? I ask because you can still get some of the Boker line still made in Germany for very nice prices. I bought a Boker German made Canoe a few months back and it's a beautifully made knife.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A few years ago, I was in small, out of the way gun store and the guy had all these different Old Timers, USA made, in a drawer. He said he had them for years, and years, and still had the old prices on them. I asked him what he wanted for them now, and he said just like they were marked. Needless to say, I bought about 10 IIRC. This monster is interesting for how big it is. I really don't like these too much, I'd rather have a nice locking folder with an assist. It's an LCP to show the size. I'll hold on to this one in case I need milk money someday. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cas, it's my contrary streek I guess. I have a chicom shotgun that saved me lots of bucks and probably can't be improved stubstantialy with any amount of money. I rue the fact that I missed out on the norinco 1911s, the ones rumored to be made from railroad rails. my joke is that I like the idea of shooting them with guns they made, when they come to take away my grandkids...

I am looking for American made to have something made in America. I had a Buck 501 that I lost in Alaska. The hinge pin was nearly worn out from flicking it open. I appreciated the ability to get it open and closed with one hand, and I like the locking mechanism better than the frame locks. I could find a canoe or barlow that would serve, but they aren't one-handers. I'm not drawn to the current one-handers because they are gimmicky, raise the cost, and often have two-handed liner locks.

The knife I recently lost was a 13$ Gerber that had a blade less than two inches, was so slim I could lose it in my pocket, and never notice it. it went thru the wash, wound up in spare spare-pants, fell in between the cracks in the car console, etc.

It did everything I needed a folder for. Anything it couldn't do I have a gaggle of Mora carving and belt knives to do real work. But that little folder was perfect size for field dressing deer. I can slit the hide, then choke up the blade and sever the diaphragm without knicking any organs. With a hot hide it's all I need to get the skin off. It's kind of a short blade for boning, but it can be done. Big huge blades are much easier to cut myself with and I use a recip saw for the heavier duty deconstruction chores.

well, I see I've been typing and drinking coffee at the same time

Grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine

that's a keeper-in-the-drawer knife for sure. good score. I was never smart enough to buy up knives when they were "cheap". plus the ones that wound up in the drawer were broken or rusted out or didn't hold an edge or otherwise unserviceable.

my current "pocket knife" is a mora fixed blade in a plastic fitted sheath because it's handy for the wood working chores I find to do. problem with that is that if I forget it, and carry it off of the property, and it's discovered, then I get charged with a felony....

which proves my point about edged weapons being more dangerous than guns.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:Blaine

that's a keeper-in-the-drawer knife for sure. good score. I was never smart enough to buy up knives when they were "cheap". plus the ones that wound up in the drawer were broken or rusted out or didn't hold an edge or otherwise unserviceable.

my current "pocket knife" is a mora fixed blade in a plastic fitted sheath because it's handy for the wood working chores I find to do. problem with that is that if I forget it, and carry it off of the property, and it's discovered, then I get charged with a felony....

which proves my point about edged weapons being more dangerous than guns.
I loved those knives you showed me....simple, classy.
Here's another rescue from the gunshop drawer. It's the Mongo version of the little Sharp Finger. Carry this one in Seattle, and they hang ya from the nearest lightpost....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Mescalero wrote:I am looking at my spyderco native right now.
It is the only non-serrated spyderco's I know of
It has etched on the blade
Golden Colorado USA Earth
I have 3 Spyderco Natives - probably the most ergonomic knife ever made. My favorite of the three was made in Seki City.
The Byrd models, which are not marked Spyderco, are the only China-made knives designed by Spyderco, and they're a great buy at around $25.

I have a CRKT M16 Compact that came from China and is not worth owning, but my earlier US-made M16 Compact is a great knife, though you can only find them from collectors now.
Tycer wrote:Benchmade.... I've got a couple of the larger Axis Lock for specific uses...That Axis Lock is the bee's knees for me. They get stronger as they wear. You'll never have one accidentally fold on you. I usually pay $60 for them on ebay. I have gotten used ones for $40
Heavy knife, but a heck of a tool.

Though if you're buying a knife for a shop tool, buy a china-made Byrd - you will be amazed at the quality.

you want a US-made pocket knife - the yellow-handle Moore Maker "working knife" are a good buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOORE-MAKER-KNI ... 1358490796
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProdu ... _id=737728
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProdu ... _id=737728