Interesting notation on old box of 25-20 ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting notation on old box of 25-20 ammo

Post by Borregos »

Recently an old Marlin 27-S pump in 25-20 found its way into my gun safe. Getting brass for it has not been easy however.
I was discussing it at the club the other night and one of the guys produced an old box of Dominion 25-20 and gave it to me.
I thought the notation on one of the inside flaps was interesting :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting notation on old box of 25-20 ammo

Post by vancelw »

Wouldn't that be because they are HV92 equivalent loads? Too much pressure for the old revolvers?

I know my Accurate Arms reloading manual has two different load levels and warns against using the hotter ones in old handguns.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

What revolver was ever chambered in 25-20? 32-20 yes, but 25-20?
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

jdad wrote:What revolver was ever chambered in 25-20? 32-20 yes, but 25-20?
That was what I was wondering too.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've either had too much coffee or not enough today! :oops:

My eyes saw .32-20
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Somebody somewhere must have though, unless this is hypothetical???
.25-20 Pistol Rifle.jpg
EDIT:
An internet search seems to only reveal experimental versions, Bowen SAA versions, or S&W conversions.
Chuck Hawks even mentions a rifle/pistol combo on his pages about the .25-20????
Chuck Hawks wrote:The .25's being factory loaded at this time include the old .25-20 Winchester rifle/revolver combination cartridge....
http://www.chuckhawks.com/25caliber_cartridges.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A couple of years ago a friend stopped by to show me a gun show purchase. It was a beautiful 4 3/4 inch single action 25-20, Case colored frame. I don't recall the maker but it was a nice gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I couldn't post the picture but there is a photo of a box of Remington-UMC .25-20 here that is marked Not for use in Pistols on the side label.

http://www.oldammo.com/august09.htm
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Bruce,

Here it is (click on the link, for the fullsize image):

http://www.oldammo.com/RemUMC2520HV.JPG
Winchester introduced the high velocity loading of their .25-20 cartridge for their Model 1892 rifle around 1905; other ammunition makers would have been expected to offer their versions of this cartridge soon after. This box by Remington-UMC with its split UMC and Remington logos on the label would have been produced during the first year or so after the merger of the two companies in 1911. As early as 1913, the top label would include the combined company logo, and by 1916, the company name would appear on boxes as Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Co, Incorporated. The top label and side sealing label on this box both mention the Winchester Model 1892 and the Marlin Model 1894. These cartridges are loaded with a full metal jacketed bullet, which was much less common than the soft point bullet in the high velocity cartridges. The 'U' marked primer was used by the company for smokeless ammunition. Note that the side label indicates that the cartridges were not intended for use in pistols.
RemUMC2520HV 995 high.jpg
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage