RIP Dick Cabela

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

RIP Dick Cabela

Post by Blaine »

He and P.T. Barnum will have plenty to talk about. (And, I mean that in a very respectful way 8) )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: RIP Dick Cabela

Post by jkbrea »

May he rest in peace. I read where he and his brother got their start selling fishing flies in newspaper classifieds. Great businessmen. I know some of their stuff is a little pricey but they usually have what you need and their customer service has always been great, at least to me. I once needed hunting boots( I know...never buy shoes without trying them on), and returned them three times before getting it right. They paid all the shipping back and forth. I've returned things over a year later that I didn't use or have the receipt for and never a problem. I just wish they had a store near here. We have a BassPro but it ain't the same.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jkbrea wrote:May he rest in peace. I read where he and his brother got their start selling fishing flies in newspaper classifieds. Great businessmen. I know some of their stuff is a little pricey but they usually have what you need and their customer service has always been great, at least to me. I once needed hunting boots( I know...never buy shoes without trying them on), and returned them three times before getting it right. They paid all the shipping back and forth. I've returned things over a year later that I didn't use or have the receipt for and never a problem. I just wish they had a store near here. We have a BassPro but it ain't the same.
I used to buy firearms (rarely, when I bought new) at a Local Toy Store, but, when the crisis hit last time, the LTS gouged the heck out of stuff. Tripling the price of popular guns, and ammo. Cabela's didn't raise their prices, and fairly meted out the ammo they had available. Same with guns. Any price increase was strictly from the distributors/manufactories. They now will have all my business (unless, WallyWorld starts having ammo again)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I find their prices higher on many things but between their promotions, getting 5% back on Cabela's Purchases, and using the Cabela's bucks I have earned buying elsewhere I find they are as competitive as anybody, they have a lot of stuff I can't find elsewhere, and as mentioned their customer service is second to none in my experience. I am glad the don't have a store in Ca. That way I don't have to pay CA sales tax on purchases which supports a government hell bent and making my life miserable.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have materially contributed in no small measure to the quality of Dick Cabela's life. In just the past few months I have bought two Model 1860 Colt revolvers, a Pedersoli Enfield, a MEC Sizemaster in 16 gauge and other goodies from Cabela's. Their black powder firearm prices are just about the best, and with the Cabela's return policy, I'd be a danged fool to buy anywhere else.
RIP, mister. Ya done good.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

When I was a kid, I always sent in the card for a free Cabelas catalog. Did it for years without ever buying anything - but would sit for hours and dream about all that gear.
In the last 15 years, I've more than made up for all the free catalogs they sent me :lol:
Rest in peace Mr. Cabela.