levers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

levers?

Post by Mutt »

After being away for a spell ,I notice there isn't as much talk about lever guns once was.
..................................Mutt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: levers?

Post by AJMD429 »

We go through cycles.

Many/most of us on the forum have MANY interests, with the common theme being 'leverguns'. Typically, that means we also like:
  • Single Action Revolvers.
    U.S. History.
    Medium & Big Game Hunting.
    Ballistics.
    Pro-Second-Amendment Material.
and many other things, like:
  • Welding.
    Horses.
    Gardening.
    Boats.
    Tractors.
    Motorcycles.
    Vintage Automobiles
    etc...
Sometimes we even go way off topic and discuss:
  • Church Missions.
    Humorous Stories.
    Computers.
    Women.
There are "gun" forums which restrict all topics to the particular brand/design featured, and even break up all the 'gun' posts into sub-topics, to be sure nobody interested in 'reloading' has to be offended by seeing a post on 'holsters', and I've participated in some of those forums, but. . . they are usually boring, repetitive, and hosted by know-it-alls.

The variety of 'associated' topics is what I like about this forum.

But yes, we DO sometimes get our acts together and delve deep into the topic of actual 'leverguns'... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:We go through cycles.

Many/most of us on the forum have MANY interests, with the common theme being 'leverguns'. Typically, that means we also like:
    U.S. History.
    Ballistics.
  • Welding.
    Horses.
    Gardening.
    Boats.
    Tractors.
    Motorcycles.
    Vintage Automobiles
    etc...
  • Church Missions.
    Humorous Stories.
    Computers.
    Women.
There are "gun" forums which restrict all topics to the particular brand/design featured, and even break up all the 'gun' posts into sub-topics, to be sure nobody interested in 'reloading' has to be offended by seeing a post on 'holsters', and I've participated in some of those forums, but. . . they are usually boring, repetitive, and hosted by know-it-alls.

But yes, we DO sometimes get our acts together and delve deep into the topic of actual 'leverguns'... :wink:

well said! :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A BIG AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! Brother Doc AJ. Yes well said.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Don't forget the weather:

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

ARE YOU TERRY MURBACH REINCARNATED?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't forget honey badgers.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Hey, MUTT, welcome back to the Forum! Not a lot has changed; it's just February!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome Back Mutt!
JerryB wrote:A BIG AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! Brother Doc AJ. Yes well said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Mutt wrote:After being away for a spell ,I notice there isn't as much talk about lever guns once was.
Whenever I mention it, I get called "reactionary.." Maybe not exactly, but that is the gist of it.. :-/

A lot of the younger/newer guys are not so steeped in levergun tradition as some of us older fellers.. They also tend to believe that we are just as intrigued by their new snow-blower as they are.. (or whatever their new "toy" of the moment may be...)

I compensate for the lack of levergun talk, by ignoring the majority of posts that pertain to other things.. I'm still interested in families, and read and respond to prayer requests and such, even if I may not post a reply.. There have been times when ignoring extraneous subject matter has left me with an entire page of nothing I cared to read.. But... I keep coming back, in the almost vain hope of finding a subject worthy of discussion, from a levergun perspective..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Mutt wrote:After being away for a spell ,I notice there isn't as much talk about lever guns once was.
Whenever I mention it, I get called "reactionary.." Maybe not exactly, but that is the gist of it.. :-/

A lot of the younger/newer guys are not so steeped in levergun tradition as some of us older fellers.. They also tend to believe that we are just as intrigued by their new snow-blower as they are.. (or whatever their new "toy" of the moment may be...)

I compensate for the lack of levergun talk, by ignoring the majority of posts that pertain to other things.. I'm still interested in families, and read and respond to prayer requests and such, even if I may not post a reply.. There have been times when ignoring extraneous subject matter has left me with an entire page of nothing I cared to read.. But... I keep coming back, in the almost vain hope of finding a subject worthy of discussion, from a levergun perspective..
I'm pretty much with Buck, though I have a slightly wider interest -- I'll also read anything relating to motorcycles. But guns and motorcycles get slighted this time of year: they'll both pick up considerably in the coming months as the days get longer. Maybe through the winter we should formally assign (If Hobie asked, they'd probably do it) range reports to our southernmost brethren?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

U.S. History.
    Ballistics.
  • Welding.
    Horses.
    Gardening.
    Boats.
    Tractors.
    Motorcycles.
    Vintage Automobiles
    etc...
  • Church Missions.
    Humorous Stories.
    Computers.
    Women.

You forgot the nonavailability of .22 ammo. :roll: :D
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Some of the people prefer the meandering route and side roads as opposed to the straight shot.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

U.S. History.
    Ballistics.
  • Welding.
    Horses.
    Gardening.
    Boats.
    Tractors.
    Motorcycles.
    Vintage Automobiles
    etc...
  • Church Missions.
    Humorous Stories.
    Computers.
    Women.

Errrr....what about small game? Hmmmmm!

:lol:

Say I get Buck's point!
I have tried to broach many a discussion of a Win94 interaction at the lever link to bolt pin loadings when locked up!
Usually all I hear back are tumble weeds! :(

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm just as interested in The People here as I am in their leverguns....I stopped buying Gun Magazines because the same subject matter was always recycled about every six months. :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:I'm just as interested in The People here as I am in their leverguns....I stopped buying Gun Magazines because the same subject matter was always recycled about every six months. :)
You read the articles? I just look at the pictures.

You know what they say about guns...once you've seen one...you want to see them all.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I'm just as interested in The People here as I am in their leverguns....I stopped buying Gun Magazines because the same subject matter was always recycled about every six months. :)
That is a very good comparison; thanks for posting it that way.

It isn't exactly like Leverguns are new-fangled things we haven't worked most of the 'bugs' out of, so we tend to 'recycle' the same topics, too. Not that it's bad, but - like the Gun Magazines - it would be pretty boring if all it was on here was a bunch of 'Marlin vs. Winchester' and '45-70 vs. 444' threads.

Leverguns are a part of all our lives here on this forum, and a part that gives us something in common. It also happens that we have lots of other stuff in common that is fun to jabber about, too. Even when we get to arguing about stuff, it's still more interesting than 'Marlin vs. Winchester' for the 99th time.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...from Junior's excellent site, a lever-plus:
Model 94 disassembled.jpg
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Welcome back, what is your main interest in levers? Hunting, reloading, older traditional levers, new hammerless levers, or maybe scoping them? I'll start up a thread to welcome you, I'm always asking questions often just for fun and an education.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Canuck Bob wrote:Welcome back, what is your main interest in levers? Hunting, reloading, older traditional levers, new hammerless levers, or maybe scoping them? I'll start up a thread to welcome you, I'm always asking questions often just for fun and an education.
Good idea...!

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Like I said .....tumble weeds :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I agree with Buck Elliot too. We've lost so many of our original members the roots of this forum are pretty much gone. So all we're getting is fluff and chaff. Very little wheat.
I stick around here because this is the only forum I know of like this, and I do know most of the members.
However it just keeps loosing it's foundation and will eventually crumble to nothing. Sad to feel that way, but I've been here from the beginning and that is what I'm seeing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Complaints in this vein pop up on every internet forum, not just this one (specific to the forum subject of course). The amusing thing is that there is an easy way to fix it - start talking about the subject one feels is under-represented rather than complaining about it :lol:

Tell ya what though, I will go take some pics to post up this afternoon. Should have done that a couple months ago anyway.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:Some of the people prefer the meandering route and side roads as opposed to the straight shot.
That's why there's Facebook...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since there doesn't seem to be a forum that is 'strictly leverguns', whatever levergun stuff there is likely already here, just diluted down by all the 'fluff'. Some of it is no doubt on MarlinOwners, or Rossi-Rifleman, or Winchester-Lovers or whatever, being similarly diluted.

Perhaps some of our programmers on the forum could write some sort of a 'bot' for you guys that dislike reading posts about things other than leverguns, and it could scan for REAL leverguns posts.

Then you wouldn't have to be so depressed about how the forum has turned from being a wonderful source of levergun-inspiration, free of all distractions, into a cesspool of whining posts (whining about 'too many 'OT' topics excepted, of course :wink: ), repetitive posts (repetitive posts about 'too many 'OT' topics excepted, of course :wink: ), and posts about stuff like politics, which doesn't affect "leverguns" at all (other than potentially getting them banned, and being largely the biggest driver of the social changes which have resulted in "not enough levergun posts").

It would be nice if there were ten times as many levergunners, because then there would be ten times as many people wanting to post 'levergun' topics on here, and many of them would be interesting, and perhaps new, and reading them all would leave the rest of us too busy to post about our new tractors, or working up a handload for our revolver, or just 'life'. The problem is that the nature of our real world these days is that there are NOT as many levergunners, and it is NOT the fault of the FORUM.

I know there are some brilliant hard-core levergunners who have left the forum because there are "too many off-topic posts", but - I'll wager there are far MORE amateur levergunners who don't participate, because they get tired of the whining about "not enough levergun posts", or some of the condescending responses when they DO post a 'dumb question' about a levergun. I know I'm just an 'amateur', but I often learn just as much when some 'newbie' dares to ask a 'stupid question', as I do when SOME OF THE 'OLD GUARD' STARTS IN AND RE-PLAYS THE SAME SAGELY ADVICE OVER AND OVER, REPLETE WITH SIDE-TRACKS ABOUT HOW EVERYONE WHO IS UNDER AGE 60 IS JUST A FOOL AND HAS NO BUSINESS PLAYING WITH GUNS AND HOW THIS FORUM HAS BECOME A WASTE OF THEIR PRECIOUS TIME... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Buck Elliott, you tend to still give good advice, worth listening to, and I probably have read every one of YOUR posts, and I know what you mean about 'FaceBook' (this is probably a forum serving somewhat of a 'FaceBook' function for us guys who wouldn't be caught dead on the real 'FaceBook' - when I'm on here, sometimes my wife actually says "Are you on 'GunBook' again...?" :D ). However, there are some who post here whose 'sagely advice' I miss out on, because their posts are so polluted with rants about how the rest of us heathens don't deserve their time because we haven't devoted 24 hours a day to studying leverguns vs. having anything else in our life, that I just skip past them.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What AJMD429 said. :P
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Yup.

Maybe it's time to post some levergun porn.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm fresh out of ideas....perhaps the disillusioned ones can start a few interesting lever threads. I keep hearing about how bad it is, but, where are the grand masters when we need them?....Wait, I know....sewing machines :P Quityerbitchin' and post something, you malcontents :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wait, I know....sewing machines :P

:) :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

J :P e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

This forum is in a rapid nose dive and it goes beyond non levergun topics.
Slow is just slow.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

What's facebook?

You guys want to hear a knock knock joke?

Knock knock
-who's there?
Orange!
Orange who?
Orange you glad you're not a potato?
----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My wife recently ordered me a new gun mag. I was SHOCKED! I gave them up long ago and for the same reason!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I might suggest we only need to start posting levers more often.

One thing I like to do is ask questions to expand my education. As an experiment I'll start more such threads and see how the forum responds.