Anyone have a Browning BLR in 300 WSM

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone have a Browning BLR in 300 WSM

Post by madman4570 »

Thinking about grabing a new one of these guys?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a Browning BLR in 300 WSM

Post by CowboyTutt »

Madman, I say go for it. If memory serves, that is one of the most powerful cartridges in a levergun available today. At 60-63 thousand MAP, I don't think there is another levergun action on the planet that could withstand that operating pressure. The only caveat would be that the recoil in a lightweight BLR will be quite snappy!!! :lol: I went with the 358 Winchester myself in my own BLR. I wanted the ability to run a heavier bullet weight.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

How about the 325 WSM instead?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... &f3=&msrp=

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

CowboyTutt wrote:How about the 325 WSM instead?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... &f3=&msrp=

-Tutt
Yep, another possibilty.
What was really weird was I shot the 300 WSM in the BLR and it did not kick bad at all ?
Why my XTR Win 70 in 300 Win mag kicks much more I just can't figure out?
The 300 WSM in the BLR felt like my 7mm Rem in my Win M70

I will look into that 325 WSM further.
Thank You Sir :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No thanks needed my friend! I'm always thrilled to help another man spend his money on firearms or a Harley Davidson motor upgrade!!! 8) I like my 358 Win BLR a whole lot. The trigger that Mic put on it is simply amazing, and the gun is sick accurate (although Mic did alter the barrel bands and some other things!) That being said, the 325 WSM would probably be my choice if I had to do it over again. Its supposed to be a very accurate cartridge.

As to recoil, well, that's always a personal thing. I'm a tad masochistic myself.... :lol:

-Tutt

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I got rid of my BLR in 300 WSM. It just wasn't that pleasant to shoot. The 308 is just the right recoil in the BLR for me. A few months ago Zanders was trying to move BLR's in 325 WSM and 270 WSM for about $100 less than the other calibers. I took a look in the current Zanders flyer and they have takedown BLR in 325WSM for $699 wholesale.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've heard similar using the 300 Win Mag in a bolt action. Short sharp recoil. The same person thought his 375 H&H bolt gun was less painful to shoot because its more of a long push. -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here's a really cool pic of the inner action and locking lug design of the BLR Lightweight '81. The bolt locks into lugs cut into the steel barrel itself, so even though the receiver is made of aluminum, the lockup on these rifles is extremely strong. Setting cartridge head space however, becomes a problem as you have to re-machine the locking lugs in the barrel. Not so easy. The barrels are also "Individually machined, precision button-rifled, heat-treated chromoly steel. Crowned muzzle. Barrels are triple checked for interior finish, straightness and air-gauged for uniformity." Wow.
blr-gear-mech.jpg
Getting a good trigger on the BLR LW '81 floating trigger design is not so easy either. Mic tinkered mine to death as a favor to me. We NP3 plated the internals but the tolerances were so tight he had to hand fit everything afterwards. After that, he really hasn't wanted to work on any more of them. The trigger is the best one in my collection with the possible exception of my 454 Puma that Mic re-built for me. That rifle also has an incredible trigger. When I compare them, I am hard pressed to decide which is better but I have to give the slight nod to the BLR.

Very few people know this, but Mic McPherson has seen plans/schematics from John Browning himself that appears to be a front-locking levergun. The patents have expired, so anyone could actually make one of these. Wouldn't a front-locking lever gun designed by John Browning himself be a dream come true??? It would be both authentic AND strong!

-Tutt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Here's a really cool pic of the inner action and locking lug design of the BLR Lightweight '81. The bolt locks into lugs cut into the steel barrel itself, so even though the receiver is made of aluminum, the lockup on these rifles is extremely strong. Setting cartridge head space however, becomes a problem as you have to re-machine the locking lugs in the barrel. Not so easy. The barrels are also "Individually machined, precision button-rifled, heat-treated chromoly steel. Crowned muzzle. Barrels are triple checked for interior finish, straightness and air-gauged for uniformity." Wow.
blr-gear-mech.jpg
Getting a good trigger on the BLR LW '81 floating trigger design is not so easy either. Mic tinkered mine to death as a favor to me. We NP3 plated the internals but the tolerances were so tight he had to hand fit everything afterwards. After that, he really hasn't wanted to work on any more of them. The trigger is the best one in my collection with the possible exception of my 454 Puma that Mic re-built for me. That rifle also has an incredible trigger. When I compare them, I am hard pressed to decide which is better but I have to give the slight nod to the BLR.

Very few people know this, but Mic McPherson has seen plans/schematics from John Browning himself that appears to be a front-locking levergun. The patents have expired, so anyone could actually make one of these. Wouldn't a front-locking lever gun designed by John Browning himself be a dream come true??? It would be both authentic AND strong!

-Tutt
Great info, Thanks!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Thanks for the picture Tutt, have always wanted to see the inside of the BLR. Just never got around to it.

My suspicions have been validated, it is a gear driven M95 Steyr bolt assembly.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Just get the 325 WSM and call it a day....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: .358 :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Time Hunter, I'm no expert on bolt actions but that makes sense.

86er, I tend to agree that the 325 WSM or 358 Win would be the way to go. But all 3 cartridges (300 WSM, 325 WSM and 358 Win) are all very accurate.

One of the things I like about the 358 is that I can use premium 308 cases from Lapua and Norma. These cases are made so uniform that it saves me a lot of time with case prep because they don't need much. So you easily get a match grade case with little effort.

Add a good handload and your done.

Madman, do you handload? I don't remember. 358 Win loaded ammo is VERY scarce so the 325 or 300 WSM might be better if looking for factory loads.

Really any of these cartridges can get the job done well, I just prefer using heavier bullets myself.

Cool thread! 8)

-Tutt

arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

If for some reason you get the 300wsm, I'm pretty sure I know someone with dies and brass :wink:
Byron