Mod71-Hunting loads...or not ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Mod71-Hunting loads...or not ???

Post by guido4198 »

I load these cast bullets for my Winchester M-71, .348 WCF from a mold I inherited from my Dad. The mold is IDEAL 350447. A hollow point gas check design. The hollow point is 0.480 in. deep. I cast them from 50/50 wheel wt/lead. They run 183 gns or so. Loaded over 37.0 gns. WC846 I get a real mild "practice" load I can shoot a lot of, which groups real well. According to my chrono., they are running 1800 fps, for a muzzle energy around 1295 ft-lbs. I haven't searched for a hotter load with this bullet using another powder. The object of the exercise initially was to find a mild load using the WC846, of which I have quite a bit.
To date, these have been my "practice loads"...the rounds I take out to punch paper, and keep my skills with the rifle current before hunting. Hunting load is a much hotter 200 gn Hornady flat point. These days, I'm hunting S.E. Georgia. The deer are on the small side...125 lb being a real decent body size, many are smaller. I also take a hog now and then. I'm only interested in smaller hogs..125 and down. I have no interest in shooting "Hogzilla"...as those big ones don't make for the best table-fare.
Recently I got to wondering if my mild, pleasant "practice" load might be sufficient for my hunting needs. Ranges are close...25-100 yds.
What say you guys...???? Just looking for opinions.
Thanks.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Mod71-Hunting loads...or not ???

Post by elmo123 »

They should work great on deer.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Everyone knows you should never ever attempt to shoot game animals with cast lead bullets. If you aren't using a super premium bullet, you are just stunt hunting. Not a good thing.

Seriously, I used to hunt Georgia deer. Unless things have changed a lot in the last 20 yrs, I might feel overgunned with a slingshot. :)

If you shoot'em where it counts, those bullets are way more than sufficient. I would slow them down to about 1500 fps and be happy.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

I can't see why you couldn't kill a deer with that load. I'd try to keep the shot broadside through the boiler room, but other than that they should work just fine. Deer are easy to kill.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Uh - I got a 360DW that looks very similar ballistically and it works just fine. .360 diameter, 185 grain, 1800 fps. Hmmm - you shouldn't have any worries.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member