Daughter got a new rifle for her birthday - Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Daughter got a new rifle for her birthday - Pics

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Savage Rascal single-shot .22. She likes purple and penguins.

The top one is her older sister's. The serial numbers are consecutive.

Edit:
Might as well add all of the photos to the first post.

Savage Cub Mini and Savage Cub T belonging to their two older brothers. This is the model that predated the Rascal.

Not all of my kids rifles have bright colors, unless you count case colors:
They have a variety of old Stevens single-shots; Favorites, Little Scouts, Marksman, Maynard Jr. Those rifles are cheap and it is fun for them to find and buy them (with my money, of course), and it gives them an appreciation for historic firearms.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Daughter got a new rifle for her birthday - Pics

Post by jkbrea »

That's awesome. I can't wait till my granddaughters get a little older.......and my soon to come grandson. Great gun to start with. I assume you did the customizing? That's something they'll keep forever.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If it encourages young girls to take up shooting I'm all for it, excellent graphics.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:If it encourages young girls to take up shooting I'm all for it, excellent graphics.... :D
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

:D :D :D Very cool ! Make sure she tells her friends that she has a gun with penguins on it , not a penguin gun. :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Extremely cool! :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I want one, Vargas style. Maybe larger calibers.

Those are really cool.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Those guns are something else!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

those are bright. Way to go, dad.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

jkbrea wrote:That's awesome. I can't wait till my granddaughters get a little older.......and my soon to come grandson. Great gun to start with. I assume you did the customizing? That's something they'll keep forever.
Yeah, I did a lot of looking at all of the youth-sized rifles. In my opinion, nothing beats the little Savages for a starter rifle. I know the Crickets have a cult following, I don't know why, the name, maybe? Or the association with the old Chipmunk?
But the Savage Rascal (and the older Savage Cub) are by far superior rifles for not much more money.

Even if they were twice the cost, they would be worth it. You only get one opportunity to start your kids shooting, and the right rifle makes a big difference. The trend that I see is for guys who have no qualms about buying a very expensive rifle for themselves to buy junk rifles for their wives and kids. I think this is unfortunate.

The Savage Rascal has the accutrigger, which gives them a great trigger to learn with. Some of the other youth rifles have extremely poor, heavy triggers, sometimes as heavy as 12 or 13 lbs. (A safety? feature.)

The Rascal is small and light and short. It has very nice sights. I have found them to be very accurate. The action works just like a normal bolt action rifle, with no extra cocking knobs to pull, and a traditional safety. The kids can learn the proper manipulation of the action and use of the safety. This also makes the rifle safer to unload - there are some safety issues with some of the pull-to-cock youth rifles.
It is also pre-drilled for optics if you choose.

I have found the single shot rifles also are good for the very young children because it slows them down and makes it easier to teach things like follow-through. With a repeating rifle, they tend to get exited and try to rush into the next shot before they have a chance to follow through and evaluate the first.

How old are your granddaughters?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Their brother's rifles.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very nice....Clearly, labors of love 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Yesterday I was downloading photos from the camera, and she saw photos of the rifle disassembled.

She said, "Did you paint my rifle?"
I was surprised and said, "Yes, of course I did. Did you think I didn't?"
She replied, "Yes, because penguins are very hard to paint."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! I love custom-guns for kids!!! 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Beautiful job on all four of those!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I had a Crickett for my girls (red, white, and blue laminate, of course....THEIR choice :D )
It was a great little rifle. They were surprisingly accurate with it. The rear peep helped with that.

Only problem was the extractor kept falling off. Luckily I kept finding it in the grass and prairie dog towns. Finally sold it and got them a Savage Mark II bolt so I could scope it and let them reach out and get those p-dogs.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

7.62 Precision wrote:
jkbrea wrote:That's awesome. I can't wait till my granddaughters get a little older.......and my soon to come grandson. Great gun to start with. I assume you did the customizing? That's something they'll keep forever.
Yeah, I did a lot of looking at all of the youth-sized rifles. In my opinion, nothing beats the little Savages for a starter rifle. I know the Crickets have a cult following, I don't know why, the name, maybe? Or the association with the old Chipmunk?
But the Savage Rascal (and the older Savage Cub) are by far superior rifles for not much more money.

Even if they were twice the cost, they would be worth it. You only get one opportunity to start your kids shooting, and the right rifle makes a big difference. The trend that I see is for guys who have no qualms about buying a very expensive rifle for themselves to buy junk rifles for their wives and kids. I think this is unfortunate.

The Savage Rascal has the accutrigger, which gives them a great trigger to learn with. Some of the other youth rifles have extremely poor, heavy triggers, sometimes as heavy as 12 or 13 lbs. (A safety? feature.)

The Rascal is small and light and short. It has very nice sights. I have found them to be very accurate. The action works just like a normal bolt action rifle, with no extra cocking knobs to pull, and a traditional safety. The kids can learn the proper manipulation of the action and use of the safety. This also makes the rifle safer to unload - there are some safety issues with some of the pull-to-cock youth rifles.
It is also pre-drilled for optics if you choose.

I have found the single shot rifles also are good for the very young children because it slows them down and makes it easier to teach things like follow-through. With a repeating rifle, they tend to get exited and try to rush into the next shot before they have a chance to follow through and evaluate the first.

How old are your granddaughters?[/quote]

Haha. Still a little too young.....7 months and the younger one a mere two weeks. A grandson due in July. My first round as a G/dad. :D
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

jkbrea wrote: Haha. Still a little too young.....7 months and the younger one a mere two weeks. A grandson due in July. My first round as a G/dad. :D
My wife's parents said if they had it all to do over again, they would have skipped children and gone straight to grandchildren.

Make no mistake; It will be no time at all before those little ones will be claiming your guns. I lost an SKS, CETME, and four colored Cav Arms AR lowers to my kids that way so far. They all want my wife's Rossi 62 with the wood burned puma kitten on the stock, but she won't give it up. I have to buy them guns just to keep mine now.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Great looking rifles for the little ladies.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not all their rifles are brightly colored, unless you count case colors.

They all have old Steven's rifles, and like them at least as much as the newer Savages.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon what are the thoughts going through that little fellers head???? Maybe "when will I be big enuff to do this for real?"
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Nope. As far as he's concerned, he is big enough to do it for real now. He never considers that there is anything he can't just do. The other day, I put him in the Suburban, and thought my wife was strapping him into his seat. She thought I did. I ran back to the house to get something while she was putting one of the other kids in, then she went back to the house, too, thinking I was on the other side of the vehicle. He promptly climbed into the drivers seat, put it in gear, and drove it into another Suburban.

I let him sit on my lap as I moved the Suburban the other night in my driveway (it is a 1984, no airbags). I braked to a stop, and he reached out, put the vehicle in park, turned it off and removed the key. The kid pays attention to everything.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice gift. Have you thought about chambering it 22 Mag?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

That is neat. Your very lucky. I think that Federal value pack is the best ammo for the money, less FTF, most accurate. I bench tested it against most of the other brands using 5 guns including one handgun.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Have you ever had anyone request Kalishnikitty?

HOWEVER.... This one is more MY style...
:?:
:!:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

^ I wonder if Mikhael Kalishnikov saw that version before he checked out?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I can't touch Hello Kitty. The owner of Hello Kitty is ruthless in protecting their intellectual property. I won't even bother to attempt to secure license to do Hello Kitty themes after seeing the experience of others - it is clear that it would not be granted.