Feedback wanted regarding new Mossberg lever-action .30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Feedback wanted regarding new Mossberg lever-action .30-30

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I know that it has been covered in previous threads, but I am wondering about the impressions that forum members have with the new Mossberg lever action .30-30 carbine. It has gotten surprisingly little discussion on this forum. I am in the position of having too much available room in the safe, and i need to get something to fill it up. I was at a gun shop yesterday and saw a late model Win 94, high serial number but pre-button safety, and it had a nice peep site and red tru-glo front site, and I just might have to go back and grab that rifle if it is still available after work tomorrow. BUT, I was sort of thinking that maybe instead of buying a used post-64 Win 94, maybe what I really need is a new Mossberg. I just can't tell which one I need. So, I'm asking for feedback from the forum members. Anyone got a new Mossberg, or anyone heard anything from their friends, relatives, gun shops, etc? Any feedback appreciated.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think the opinions I've read so far have been sorta mixed. Nobody has really fallen in love with it yet. And I don't remember if anybody has actually done a range report.

For myself, I'm curious too. But I've not seen one in IL yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Price seems to be a factor.I have handled one at Dick's.Nice looking gun design and fit and finish.But at $399 it is a hard sell against a brand new Marlin 336C with a checkered walnut stock for the same price.The Mossberg I handled the stockwood was plain jane un-stained yellow beech.The bluing was very good.The local Wallyworld has marlin's 336W for$318 (with the checkered walnut stained beechstock and gold trigger).Although I have been debating get'n a Mossberg most people will pick the Marlins on looks and cost.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Same observation. I handled one the quality was good. But the wood was the drawback . You can get a Marlin for less money in the stained hardwood or for little more get a Marlin with walnut.

But I would have no problem owning one. I like the design.
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

yes i have been wondering about this rifle i read on here were someone bought one but they didnt do a range report
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I think the Mossberg rifle appeals more to the Winchester crowd, than trying to compare it to a Marlin. I personally like the lines more than the Marlin, but I know the Marlins strength, as yet unknown on the Mossy.

I looks like a Winny, plus it has the straight stock configuration, you can't get in a Marlin. Not new anyway.

The price I see is MSRP, what are the street prices on them?
encore4me
Levergunner

Post by encore4me »

I saw this gun at a local gun store and found it not nearly as nice as a Marlin or Winchester. It just didn't feel tight and the fit and finish were not there.

Matt
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I'm waiting on Wally World to get one ,the price might compare to the Marlin then.It seems like the Marlins that Walmart has are a little cheaper than the gun shops around here
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

handirifle wrote:The price I see is MSRP, what are the street prices on them?
The lowest price locally I have seen from a dealer for the Mossberg was $370+tax.Dick's Sporting has one on the rack for $399 next to a Marlin 336C for $399. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have always thought the Mossburg products were entry level and a beater gun for youngsters. Have never giving them a second glance or look.

If I had my choice between a Winchester, Marlin or Mossburg, this would be a no brainer for me.

I would hold out, unless you need one now. There are alot of closet guns coming on the market thru garage sales and estate sale and such. A friend of mine just bought a like new Winny 94 in the box made in 1954 for $200.00. After inspecting the piece we think it had less than a box of shell fired in its lifetime so far.

The world War II vets, are passing away at a rate of 10,000 per month. My Father was one of them.

Lots of toys out there Pards.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Lefty Dude wrote: The world War II vets, are passing away at a rate of 10,000 per month. My Father was one of them.
Thats a sad statement right their. My Grandfather was one of that number 5 years ago. :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Well, if Mossberg's lever is anything like thier 12g pump for rugged abusability, I'll give it serious consideration.
Mossberg 500 in the security seven shot with a 20in barrel is the perfect shotgun, in my book. When I found out they were making a lever, I got real curious.
I don't think they can really compete with Marlin and Winnie for classy-looking, and they shouldn't try. But if they can make a levergun you can beat the snot out of, and do it in enough calibers to cover the market, they'll have something, especially if it isn't priced too high.
Crossin' my fingers and hoping.

Gryphon
bang.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The one here is decently built in terms of workmanship. Wood-to-metal fit is generally better than recent Win 94s I have. Wood rides a trifle high around the tangs, but I can't see daylight between wood & steel like I can on two Winchesters in the vault.
Rear sight has no step-adjustable sliding elevator, you make elevation adjustments by raising or lowering a small insert in the flat-topped folding semi-buckhorn.
Action is smoother than the above Winchesters, trigger pull could be lighter, but it's clean on the break.
Intensely dislike the huge sliding tang safety, it's uncomfortable in the hand. Would prefer a steel part, too.
Birch stock was well-finished, passable rubber buttpad.
Accuracy OK, best 5-shot groups held under four inches at 100 yards off the bench with five out of six factory loads tried.
It does have several MIM parts internally, which may be an issue for some.
No function problems whatever.
Denis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Heres hoping for a 25-35Winchester model, long barrel PLEASE
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

DPris wrote:It does have several MIM parts internally, which may be an issue for some.
Denis
What does MIM mean? (Pardon my ignorance!)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

claybob86,

Metal Injection Molding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding

"Metal injection molding or (MIM) is a manufacturing process which combines the versatility of plastic injection molding with the strength and integrity of machined, pressed or otherwise manufactured small, complex, metal parts. Competing processes include pressed powder, investment casting, turning and machining.

The process involves combining fine metal powders with a plastic binders which allow the metal to be injected into a mold using standard plastic injection molding machines. After the part is molded and before the binders are removed, the part is referred to as a 'green part'. The next step is to remove the binders with solvents and thermal processes. The resultant metal part is sintered at temperatures great enough to bind the particles but not melt the metal. The products of metal injection molding are up to 98% as dense as wrought iron and used in a broad range of applications (including medical, dental, firearms, aerospace, and automotive just to name a few.)

The window of economic advantage in metal injection molded parts lies in the complexity and small size of the part. Tolerances as small as +/-.003" per linear inch can usually be held without secondary processes. The difficulty of fabrication through other means may make it cost inefficient or even impossible to manufacture otherwise. Increasing complexity for traditional manufacturing methods typically does not increase cost in a metal injection molding operation due to the wide range of features possible through injection molding (threads (both internal and external), miniaturization, branding).
"

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I handled one at Academy yesterday.

The fit and finish were, well, Mossberg like. Not great, but definately serviceable. This one had walnut stained stocks.

I had to ask them to remove the strap around the lever to cycle the action, but they kindly obliged. It was SLICK.

The trigger was as bad as I would expect, rough and creepy. It is probably comperable to the last configuration USRA was using.

I don't suppose there would be any way to interchange old half-cock trigger assemblies on these like I did on a couple of my newer Winchesters. I bet the parts don't mix well.
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

i cant beleive there hasnt been any reports wrote on this gun by someone.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Well somebody has bro! Jon Sundra (bless his little heart) did a revue in the 2008 annual Mossberg puts out as their catalogue for free. You call get a subscription for $12.00/yr (4 issues). This is also the dues for the Mossberg owners club. They have a soft cover book/yrs. dues for $35.00. The book is called "My first gun was a Mossberg." I'm going to join myself. The magazine is worth the price alone.

I have a 500 20 ga. with a plastic stock. It works just fine for me. Fast, slick & built on a 20 ga. platform rather than a 12 ga. like the 870. I like the gun just fine.

Sundra gave a good report for the rifle after taking an 'lope on a texas hunt. He said putting on the scope was as easy as a boltgun. Recorded under 2" groups with Hornady pointy ammo. Here's his last paragraph:

"All in all I have to say this new Mossberg 464 is a welcomed addition to the traditional lever action carbine scene. It may look a lot like a
"Winlin", but that's more than likely a good thing and truly, it has more than enough original design features, coupled with a highly affordable price, to put it in a class by itself."

I think it looks pretty good myself.

LeverBob
Good shootin' boys!!!