Corrosion Test: BP vs Pyrodex vs 777

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Corrosion Test: BP vs Pyrodex vs 777

Post by Old No7 »

I didn't run this test, but I'd thought about doing it... Then I just found the posting below and figured it's be interesting to some of the gang here.

I guess the main lesson from all this, regardless of whether you shoot real blackpowder or one of the Hodgdon alternates, is to be sure to clean and oil/protect the gun when you're done shooting!

Corrosion Test of Blackpowder vs Pyrodex vs 777

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Corrosion Test: BP vs Pyrodex vs 777

Post by AJMD429 »

I use either SR-4759 or 5744, and have had NO problems even when I don't clean promptly, but as I understand it, those powders ARE similar enough to use for BP, but the only firearm that I know of whose manufacturer will SAY it is ok to do so is Savage, with their ML-10 series.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

AJMD429 wrote:I use either SR-4759 or 5744, and have had NO problems even when I don't clean promptly, but as I understand it, those powders ARE similar enough to use for BP, but the only firearm that I know of whose manufacturer will SAY it is ok to do so is Savage, with their ML-10 series.

Ummmm…..ummmm…. uhhhh…. that's… no… uh… no don't.

That's like blueberries and baseballs and planets are all round so they're almost the same.
What you wrote can be misconstrued and misinterpreted in so many ways. Yikes.
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cas wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I use either SR-4759 or 5744, and have had NO problems even when I don't clean promptly, but as I understand it, those powders ARE similar enough to use for BP, but the only firearm that I know of whose manufacturer will SAY it is ok to do so is Savage, with their ML-10 series.
Ummmm…..ummmm…. uhhhh…. that's… no… uh… no don't. That's like blueberries and baseballs and planets are all round so they're almost the same.
What you wrote can be misconstrued and misinterpreted in so many ways. Yikes.
I wouldn't use those powders in anything other than the Savage, just 'because', (even though I'm not convinced that there is any magical mojo about the Savage ML-10 that makes it a whole bunch stronger than any other modern muzzleloader). However, not having to deal with hygroscopic powders was a big reason I decided to go with the ML-10 vs another brand.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

AJMD429 wrote: However, not having to deal with hygroscopic powders was a big reason I decided to go with the ML-10 vs another brand.
Of course, if you had stuck with real blackpowder, you wouldn't have to worry about hygroscopy either. It is a well known misunderstanding that blackpowder is hygrocopic.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Unable to see the page. Have to login. What's it say?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tycer wrote:Unable to see the page. Have to login. What's it say?
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BrentD wrote:Of course, if you had stuck with real blackpowder, you wouldn't have to worry about hygroscopy either. It is a well known misunderstanding that blackpowder is hygrocopic.
Good point. I guess what I disliked was having to use hot water to clean the gun, and unless I did it perfectly every time, there would always be rust started somewhere.

I'm the first to admit I've been spoiled, with modern steels and finishes (especially stainless), non-corrosive ammo, and so on; I have smokeless-powder firearms I've not "cleaned" in over a year, despite thousands of rounds - just a bore-snake now and again.

I am probably just too lazy to really be a 'black powder shooter'. . . :?

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Cleaning the filthy, smoky, stinking dirty ol' muzzlestuffer is half the fun , especially if you are in the middle of it in the kitchen when the wife comes home from work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Hot water" isn't a requirement. A nice "enhancement", yes; but not necessary. Just as soap is. All hot water does is make the drying process easier, possibly more efficient. If my guns are going to back into the safe for storage, (i.e. not shot for months), I use a rendered animal fat to treat the metal, same as I would for seasoning my cast iron skillets, etc.; a soaked patch, then a dry patch to get any excess out. Then for loading, I use another dry patch to remove any accumulated grime. In fact I tend to just use lukewarm water... comfortable enough to immerse my hands in, as this tends to minimize taking the "seasoning" previous treatments have made to the steel.

IMHO, cleaning BP guns is often made overly complicated & mystifying. However, fouling changes with atmospheric conditions and powder/load specifics; and so too does the ease of cleaning, along the importance of when you clean and/or the blowing thru the barrel to remove any embers and soften the fouling. For both cartridge guns and muzzleloaders.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cleaning a sooty black powder gun is the dirtiest thing I can do and not get filed for divorce!
The smell is great and the black dribbles gets the ole' girl all fired up n' rev'in lol. Don't know where she would be with out me, clean home, a new home maybe!
I could come drunk every night I tell her! That drops the output some lol.

Every day men I get a little closer to dropping the suppository guns I tell ya!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh and thanks for the link...I agree with the results....from my experience.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Using Blackhorn 209 will give you the smoke and some of the smell without any of the corrosiveness. Just like regular smokeless powder when cleaning becomes necessary.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Black powder £17/lb, Pyrodex £32/lb, 777 £44/lb. Why would I even think of using substitutes?
As for cleaning, I have an ultrasonic bath that takes a complete stainless Old Army, minus the grips.
Stick it in there with some hot water and a spoonful of Micro and by the time I've downed a pint of Old Peculiar it's cleaner than new.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

perry owens wrote:...by the time I've downed a pint of Old Peculiar...
Great idea -- that's the next "test" to run! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

perry owens wrote:As for cleaning, I have an ultrasonic bath that takes a complete stainless Old Army, minus the grips. Stick it in there with some hot water and a spoonful of Micro and by the time I've downed a pint of Old Peculiar it's cleaner than new.
That's why I still use black powder in my stainless 1858 Navy replica; easy gun to clean, and black powder IS 'more fun'.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Black powder doesn't have to be all that "dirty".

If you sift out the fines it can be really pretty clean shooting. (back in the archives I posted a fairly extensive test of this...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Trusting 86'er here. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never had any problem with BP or Pyrodex. I use hot water and never use petroleum products (oil) just that T/C No 13 cleaner is it and the bore butter for a protectant.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

can not see the link :(