Ubertis revolvers, .45 Colt; new thread

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Ubertis revolvers, .45 Colt; new thread

Post by Bill in Oregon »

First thanks to Centennial for posting the chart in the other thread on SA revolver cylinder and frame dimensions.
Now as to the suitability of a Uberti clone in .45 Colt as a hunting revolver, we know from John Linebaugh's fine Web site that he considers a 260-grain Keith at 1,000 up to the task for deer and antelope at sixgun distances, and that even a Colt SAA can handle this load.
Can we safely load slugs up to 300 grains to the 1,000 fps mark in a modern Uberti?
Given the sight system, are these revolvers capable of hunting accuracy with this kind of load out to 80 yards or so?
Just thinking it would be satisfying to take game with such a revolver.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ubertis revolvers, .45 Colt; new thread

Post by jd45 »

I like Ubertis, I have an 1873 Sporting Rifle in .45 Colt, but I have to say I think what you're asking of an 1873 SA is a little beyond its capabilities, both strength & sight-wise. This is not to say that a 300gr@1000fps load would instantly cause a Kaboom, but would punish it & shorten its life quite a bit. For this use you'd be better off with a Ruger Blackhawk.........It'll take the stress with ease & it's got adjustable sights. jd45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I respectfully submit that a traditional 45 Colt load is more than enough for game at 50 - 100 yards.....If you can make a good hit, down it goes.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

BlaineG wrote:I respectfully submit that a traditional 45 Colt load is more than enough for game at 50 - 100 yards.....If you can make a good hit, down it goes.
Yep...handgun hunting has never been my thing, but back in the day I killed a number of whitetail deer with 240 grain Keith (452423) going only about 800 fps out of a Colt Gold Cup 45 auto. I got through and through penetration and very dead deer. I can't imagine why anybody would need a 300 grain bullet going 1,000 fps to kill a deer.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What those fellers said +1
No need to push those bullets that hard. 250 gr @ 900 fps. (or so) does a fine job and the gun will appreciate it also.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My "Bear Load" for my Beretta Stampede is 325 grain CPB LFNPB over 21 grains H-110.. Hornady lists that load at 1109 fps @ 18,100 CUP, and my chrono results bear that out, in my 7 1/2" gun...

This is a subject that John Linebaugh and I have discussed many times, between ourselves, and with others, and John and I are in complete agreement that it works in the guns we shoot. john has even fired a number of such loads in Colt SAAs, with no ill effects.. We have gone as far as 24 gr H-110, but recoil has become "stout" at that point, and there is little improvement in penetration over the 21 grain load. Not everyone needs or wants such heavy loads, but then, not everyone lives or travels where we do.. I am not advocating this load for everyone, especially for general usage, but just pointing out the possibilities..

YMMV...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

BlaineG......I agree that a .45 caliber 250GR@900FPS will thump em real good, but don't you need good sights to reach out to 100YDS? My .45 7-1/2" USFA SA has a flat-bottom rear sight, matching perfectly the flattopped front sight & I can hit a 6" gong at 50YDS 8 of 10 times, if I do my part. Never shot beyond that distance tho.
Charles, your story reminds me of the scene in the movie, "Hoffa", where Danny Devito pulls out his 1911 & shoots a nice whitetail buck in a wooded clearing, while Jack Nicholson as Hoffa & Armand Assante as a mob guy discuss business.
Buck, I guess I stand corrected as to how strong the Uberti SAAs are. I'll make note of the data you mentioned & thanx, jd45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jd45 wrote:BlaineG......I agree that a .45 caliber 250GR@900FPS will thump em real good, but don't you need good sights to reach out to 100YDS? My .45 7-1/2" USFA SA has a flat-bottom rear sight, matching perfectly the flattopped front sight & I can hit a 6" gong at 50YDS 8 of 10 times, if I do my part. Never shot beyond that distance tho.
Charles, your story reminds me of the scene in the movie, "Hoffa", where Danny Devito pulls out his 1911 & shoots a nice whitetail buck in a wooded clearing, while Jack Nicholson as Hoffa & Armand Assante as a mob guy discuss business.
Buck, I guess I stand corrected as to how strong the Uberti SAAs are. I'll make note of the data you mentioned & thanx, jd45
The Original Poster mentioned 80 yards.....My handgun hunter is a 629 with a Burris Speeddot...100+ yards with a nice, solid rest....With open sights, I'd be pressed to hit at 50 with a rest...No matter the bullet weight, I try for about 1000fps even with the .44 mag....don't need anymore....850-900 would suffice.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hey Blaine,
If you ever get pizzed at me, tell me we can talk it out; some people are dangerous just by being.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Hey Blaine,
If you ever get pizzed at me, tell me we can talk it out; some people are dangerous just by being.
I'm just a big old Huggy Bear....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah right,
My half brother is charter member # 36 of the IHMSA.
We shot rams at 200 meters with big bore pistols.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I don't know how some can shoot those 325 grain/1100 FPS loads from a 37 ounce gun. I had to change grips from stag to smooth walnut just so the 200 grain at 950 FPS wouldn't eat up my hands(hate carry gloves around). Y'all must have arms built like cannon barrels and hands like a Oneida no. 6 bear trap. ;)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Buck, thank you for sharing. I can't imagine a guy would want to run that load all the time, but it is good to know what the Ubertis are safely capable of. I know how strong and suitable the Blackhawks are for heavy sixgunning, but having owned a couple of dozen of them over the past 40 years, it can be refreshing to go back to the simplicity and trim grace of the original Colt lines.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Centennial wrote:I don't know how some can shoot those 325 grain/1100 FPS loads from a 37 ounce gun. I had to change grips from stag to smooth walnut just so the 200 grain at 950 FPS wouldn't eat up my hands(hate carry gloves around). Y'all must have arms built like cannon barrels and hands like a Oneida no. 6 bear trap. ;)
My 7 1/2" Uberti/Beretta Stampede weighs in (empty) at 43 oz, with smooth walnut, one-piece grips... I'm certainly not a big guy, but I do have strong hands and wrists.. I've also been shooting heavy sixgun loads for nearly 60 years, including a long affair with the .454 Casull, and some of each of John Linebaugh's heavy hitters.. Suffice it to say - there is an art to it, beyond just Brute strength..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...