Thanks For The Memories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks For The Memories

Post by Pete44ru »

Bob Hope, on "life".............................

On turning 70 : "I still chase women, but only downhill."

On turning 80 : "It's the time in your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing."

On turning 100 : "I don't feel old. In fact, I don't feel anything until noon - when it's time for my nap."

On giving up his early boxing career : "I ruined my hands in the ring - The referee kept stepping on them."

On never winning an Oscar : "Welcome to the Academy Awards, or, as it's called at my home - Passover."

On Presidents : "I've performed for 12 US Presidents, but entertained only six."

On receiving the US Congressional Gold Medal : "I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it."

On his six brothers : "That's how I learned to dance - Waiting for the bathroom."

On his failures: "I wouldn't have had anything to eat, if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me."

On going to Heaven: "I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."

On his death bed, at 100 tears old, he was asked where he wanted to be buried.

He said. "Surprise me."

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat May 31, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Thanks For The Memories

Post by gamekeeper »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Army Band I was with had the honor of being the House Jazz Band at his 75th Birthday Gala at the convention center in Indianapolis. The main event was the Dukes Of Dixieland, and of course, Bob Hope....What a gentleman; He came over and hung out with us for several minutes. Very gracious.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of the best.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:One of the best.
I disagree; THE Best! Even if his jokes had all been used and we knew them as well as he did; he brought THE Best lookin' women with him!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:
Old Savage wrote:One of the best.
I disagree; THE Best! Even if his jokes had all been used and we knew them as well as he did; he brought THE Best lookin' women with him!
He didn't have to be there. Yet for three wars he was. That says it all.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I saw a bumper sticker the otherday, with some BOB HOPE in it.
IN THE 80S WE HAD
RONALD REGAN
BOB HOPE
AND JOHNNY CASH
NOW WE HAVE
OBAMA
NO HOPE
AND NO CASH
This might not fit this thread, but I thought it true both ways
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even when he wasn't "funny" he managed to be funny, kind of like Johnny Carson.

Plus, like said above, he went above-and-beyond to entertain and support the troops. WAY more help to the U.S. military than had he just grabbed a Springfield and joined the shootin' - he had a gift/talent/calling, and he used it. More of us should emulate that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Thanks for this reminder of Thanks For The Memories. Here's to Bob Hope.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

He has his own display at the Airforce Museum in Dayton. He won't be forgotten anytime soon.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsh ... sp?id=4319

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote:

Plus, like said above, he went above-and-beyond to entertain and support the troops. WAY more help to the U.S. military than had he just grabbed a Springfield and joined the shootin' - he had a gift/talent/calling, and he used it.

AND, Mr. Hope wasn't even an American citizen ! (He was British, AFAIK)

(IDK if he ever became an American citizen through naturalization.)

Maybe he did what he did, because he couldn't enlist in the US Armed Forces ?

Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My best friend's father moved down from Newfoundland to join the Marines and said he was by no means the only Canadian in the Marines. He was an unbelievable shot with any firearm I ever saw him shoot, and he ended up a tail gunner in Dauntless divebombers. He used to say they only had two seasons up there. Duck season, and waiting for duck season.

Don't know what restrictions there were on joining the US military, but I wonder if citizens of the UK (not their territories) were restricted by their own government.

Post by BAGTIC »

I enjoyed Hope but I never deluded myself into believing the jokes were his. Like all other professional comedians the jokes are written by professional writers while the comedian only delivers them or are were supposed to believe that actors actually create the line they deliver on stage or on film?

What soured me on Hope was the disclosure that he was a lifelong serial adulterer. He used the starlets on tour in more ways than one, both to further his career and to sustain his debauchery.
jruppert2
Levergunner

Post by jruppert2 »

Early in life I always held the man in high esteem but a show at the 1983 University of Florida Homecoming (Gator Growl) started to give me second thoughts. The show was held at the very full U of F stadium at night. At the beginning of the show he rode out onto the field in this beautiful old green convertible car. I'm guessing but it might have been like a 1930's Cadillac. It looked very nice with all the stadium lights on it. Very glamorous entrance. He got out of the car and took the stage to begin the show. He said that this show was going to be part of his tv special later in the year containing a number of college campus shows he had been doing. He only did a couple of lines when from off stage he received a message that somehow the camera shot of his entrance in the car had not worked correctly. He then proceeded to come off stage, get back in the car, rode back to the tunnel and asked everyone in the stadium to cheer and clap again as if he was coming out for the first time. Then he rode back onto the field and started the show again.

You might imagine how this went over with a stadium full of college students. Needless to say, the show went down hill from there. It become obvious to everyone present that night that entertaining the paying audience was second to gaining film footage for a tv show. It made me start to question his ultimate motivations for all the "Bob Hope Specials" that I watched when I was growing up. It was a saddening experience for me that night.