Choose one rifle for me to carry on extended backpack trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Choose one rifle for me to carry on extended backpack trip

Post by bluesman423 »

Very typical "choose one gun" topic applied to a realistic situation.

I am looking for your opinion on which rifle to carry on a 90 day pack trip into rough terrain. This rifle will be used for hunting small to medium game and (hopefully not) possible protection against smallish black bears, mountain lions and hogs, maybe people. It must be capable of mounting a scope in the traditional position due to eyesight issues.

My thought is to carry a Marlin 357 mag lever rifle with a 1 - 4X scope mounted. My plan is to use standard velocity 38s for small game and carry 180 gr 357s for anything else, adjusting the scope for differences in trajectory.

What are your thoughts?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Choose one rifle for me to carry on extended backpack tr

Post by Grizz »

444 or 45/70 or Savage 99 in .308. The things that bite are not to be trifled with.

If I were to take my .357 it would be full of 185gr or 200gr hard cast, but I'd not be too happy about it.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I like the Marlin in .357 or .44mag. Light with enough punch for most critters, and spl. loads definitely will help fill the belly.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I think as long as you're not in grizzly country a .357 is perfect. I was planning a similar hike, although not near that long :shock: . I carry my Winchester .357 Trapper in a Voodoo Tactical brand scabbard. It says its for a shotgun but it fits the trapper perfectly and they're inexpensive and attaches to a packback if needed, or just sling it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Sounds like a fun trip. Where ya going if you don't mind me asking?
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/314029 ... cm_vc=U112
I believe it would still fit with a smaller low profile or red dot style scope.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd probably go for a Rossi 16" since they're even handier than the little Marlin 357's, if you don't mind the kind of mount (B-Square No-Gunsmithing 'QD' side-mount) they use (works fine for me but took a tad of getting used to). I like the 'Rossi' version because you can ALSO use the irons without removing the scope or mount (actually, makes sighting-in fast - just adjust the crosshairs to aim where your sights are aimed). The scope is above the chamber area like 'normal', but slightly to the left of the bore axis, so you just don't tilt your head to the right like usual.

I know you might want an 'optical' scope vs. the holographic one, but this photo gives you an idea of the mount. The thread is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31062

The Rossi's come in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull, so pick the one that you like the chambering in. FYI the 454 is NOT particularly 'bad' to shoot recoil-wise, and of course you can load ANY of these cartridges down to 'small game' levels; however if the biggest thing around is black bear, those who know more about black bear than I do say you don't need much to stop one, in the rare event one does decide to be aggressive. Although all chamberings are the same size and close in weight, the little 357 Mag Rossi I have is just SO handy I could carry it all day... 8)

Here's a picture from another 'Rossi Shorty' thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55112)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

jkbrea wrote:I think as long as you're not in grizzly country a .357 is perfect. I was planning a similar hike, although not near that long :shock: . I carry my Winchester .357 Trapper in a Voodoo Tactical brand scabbard. It says its for a shotgun but it fits the trapper perfectly and they're inexpensive and attaches to a packback if needed, or just sling it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Sounds like a fun trip. Where ya going if you don't mind me asking?
I will be in the Kiamichi mountains on the border between Arkansas and Oklahoma. I have camped and hunted there many times but never packed in where I had to rely on my skills to feed myself for every meal for more than a week.

There are no grizzlies there, a few black bear and mountain lions and a lot of hogs.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

One thing I forgot about, (or aboot for our brothers up north) is you can carry a heck of a lot of 38-357 cartridges for an extended trip.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think you want something bigger than a 357. 44 Mag or something like a Rem Model 7.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'd opt for a carbine sized 357 magnum with a short stock. The Win 94 or 92, or Rossi/Puma with 16" bbl would do it. A TD '92 would be very cool, but not accessible for any kind of defense if apart.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

bluesman423 wrote:Very typical "choose one gun" topic applied to a realistic situation.

I am looking for your opinion on which rifle to carry on a 90 day pack trip into rough terrain. This rifle will be used for hunting small to medium game and (hopefully not) possible protection against smallish black bears, mountain lions and hogs, maybe people. It must be capable of mounting a scope in the traditional position due to eyesight issues.

My thought is to carry a Marlin 357 mag lever rifle with a 1 - 4X scope mounted. My plan is to use standard velocity 38s for small game and carry 180 gr 357s for anything else, adjusting the scope for differences in trajectory.

What are your thoughts?
90 days, rough terrain, hogs? Those three things are hard to put into one place for me. Must be California I guess. I don't know what medium game legal game for 90 days. Sounds like a very unusual set of conditions to me. I would probably choose a Marlin 39a or my 1890 Winchester pump. Both .22s of course. Or even more likely my take-down H&A 722, also a .22 and weighing less than 4 lbs. Protection from black bears is not something I've ever needed and I've spent plenty of time in black bear country. I wouldn't worry much about lions either. Unlike a handgun, you probably won't have the rifle handy if you should suddenly need it anyway. The .22 will kill any small game if that was really something I felt necessary.

Brent
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

86er wrote:I'd opt for a carbine sized 357 magnum with a short stock. The Win 94 or 92, or Rossi/Puma with 16" bbl would do it. A TD '92 would be very cool, but not accessible for any kind of defense if apart.
Yep. The only time I'd have a TakeDown rifle in that scenario would be if I felt zero need for self-protection, or if I also separately packed a handgun.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd take a 'real' rifle, i.e a .30-30, .243 or better for the medium game, two-legged game or etc.

And a single shot .22 like a Cricket or the new Savage equivalent, which weigh nearly nothing, for the small game and some medium game.

Either that or a .22 rifle and a serious caliber pistol (.357, .45 Colt or .44 Special, or a 10mm Auto).
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

TRAPPER 357 OR 44 MAG.....WITH SAME CALIBER PISTOLA
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A Marlin .357 with a small scope mounted will do fine.. Flat, relatively light, and easy to carry, slung or in a scabbard..

The .357 becomes even better in a carbine, and will do for whatever you should reasonably encounter.. Just make sure that your 180-grain loads will feed thru the gun without a hitch..

Shucks, my usual "carry" rifle, up here in the thick of grizz country is a '73 in .45 Colt...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I do quite a bit of backpacking, both for recreation and in correlation with hunting out west, as well as when I'm fly fishing sometimes. I'm by no means one of the "ultralight" backpacking guys, but weight is a significant factor in what I choose to pack. I'd much rather carry just a pistol if you could get away with it and feel comfortable. I'd carry a .45 Colt with different loads for small/medium game and bigger game/personal protection. I'd almost rather carry two different pistols than a rifle on a backpacking trip. I'd take a Single Six to keep in the pack except when in use for small game, and the .45 Colt on my person for bigger stuff and protection. If you're worried about bears/cougar/people, a pistol will be much quicker to get to than a rifle in a scabbard. That's just my .02.

As to the question at hand, if it has to be a rifle, I think a 16" levergun would be the best choice. Either a Marlin or a Rossi/Winchester/Browning 92 in either .357 or .45 Colt. I'm a .45 Colt fan through and through, but the .357 should be adequate from a rifle for just about anything, and maybe a bit more versatile with the ability to shoot both .38 and .357 depending on the game situation.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

For that length of time you are going to need to be able to reliably take game for food. From a practical view I'd take a lightweight combo gun like one of the discontinued Savage 24's. Takes down, easy to pack and came in a variety of calibres. I'd pick a 20ga/22M but they were also available in 30/30 and 357, however the centrefire versions are a little heavier. You can fit a scope too if you need to. A model Savage called the 'Camper' would be ideal with its shorter barrels.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sounds to me like the only real "need" for a rifle is for an opportunity shot at hogs. Rifle-shooting a Cat would hardly be a defense (or defensible) shoot in the eys of the fishy-game cops (compared to using a pistol) and foraging for small game is just as handilly done with a good revolver as with a rifle.

With a revolver you can keep it loaded with whatever defensive load is most appropriate ready at first index (snake shot or cat whompum) and keep some forrager loads handy for small game

That said, there's nothing wrong with shooting piggies... as many as possible.

I'm with the .357 rifle crowd, but carry something else for Cat/Snake/People defense...

Remember, One is None, Two is One.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

bluesman423 wrote:
I will be in the Kiamichi mountains on the border between Arkansas and Oklahoma. I have camped and hunted there many times but never packed in where I had to rely on my skills to feed myself for every meal for more than a week.

There are no grizzlies there, a few black bear and mountain lions and a lot of hogs.
I used to hunt the Clayton/Neshoba/Honobia area, got family there, quite often. I used to carry my Browning .357 when I was scouting....until I got put on top of a rock by a mad sow after I'd shot her twice, I had unknowingly got between her and her babies. The .357 158gr JSP's didn't penetrate to the vitals fast enough to stop her. The one in the head fired from the top of the rock did. I was a lot younger then and extremely agile and quick...especially with a 300 plus pound snapping hog on my heels.

I have no doubt in the .357's ability to stop a hog in a hunting situation where you have time to pick your shot, but not up close when you startle one and they charge. Same with the small black bears in that area, but the one's I saw were always running away from me. If your wanting a scoped lever gun I'd look for a Marlin in .35 Remington if you can find one, or a Browning in .358 Winchester. A .30-30 would be better than a pistol cartridge IMHO. You might even contact these people about inserts for a small game cartridge. http://www.mcace.com/Insertsindex.htm They custom made me some for my .35 Whelen to fire .38 Special, they might be able to do the same for either of the other two .35's.

BTW/FYI, a lot of that county is considered open range and a lot of the hogs you'll see in that area that you and I would consider feral are NOT considered feral by the locals and you won't have time to look for ear notches if the hog is charging until after it's down. The people in that area are not especially friendly to strangers.....especially if you've just shot what they claim is there prize boar or your walking too close to their cannabis patch or whiskey stil. Just so you know. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Re: 158 JSP not working:

That's why several folks already mentioned 180s. I'm fond of the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 180gr WFN or handload eq, which, out of my Rossi zips right along @ 1800fps. (hits 1200fps out of my 2.5" SP101)

That's .30-30 level performance from a 20" rifle and will most certainly punch a hog's ticket.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would be perfectly happy with your choice. But I would also carry an accurate 22 handgun of some sort.
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like a fun trip. I engaged in much the same many times but farther north, along Spavinaw Creek and it's tributaries and never more than 3 weeks. Only carried my Winchester 74, 22 LR. Existed mostly on squirrels and fish. Saw a couple of bears and a cougar once, even had a mad old sow put me up a tree. 'Course I had just killed one of her little pigs for my supper.
I found that there were other people out there living just as I was. Maybe 3 or 4 guys in say 300 square miles. I took almost nothing with me, knife, matches, a little salt and 22 ammo and sometimes a poncho. I was a young man then and I guess mostly looking for myself. Not sure I ever found me.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

To reply to several posts at once let me first say that I have a 16" Rossi 357 and a 20" Rossi 45 Colt, unfortunately, I will be selling both due to eyesight problems. I have had 10 major eye surgeries, mostly on my retinas and consider myself lucky to have the limited vision that is present in my left eye. I am blind in the other. I must now use a scoped rifle and do not like the side or scout mounts available for the Rossi rifles so it is now solid tops only for me.

I have been looking for a Ranch Dog 175 gr mold for my 357 Marlin but have had no luck so I believe I will go with the 180 gr soft point Hornady for now.

I must carry enough gear to live in conditions that might reach as high as 100 degrees or a low as 15 in the 90 day stay. Therefore I cannot afford the extra couple of pounds of weight for a handgun or even a small 22 rifle. Ounces count, especially when I am packing in over the rough terrain that I choose. I have used the same campsite for years now just off the Pashubbe trail and love it due to the extreme remoteness of it.

While I have had two run ins with mountain lions, killed one that had been stalking my goats, I have never had a bear encounter. Hogs are a different story. One of my best friends lost the use of his legs after a 100 pound boar got to him when 5 shots from a a 22 mag in the head didn't even slow him down. I normally now hunt hogs with a 444 but am going to be limited to one firearm on this trip due to weight considerations.

MM Wright ............ I live just down the road from you in Chelsea ............... we should get together sometime over a glass of tea and swap stories.

I thank you all for your points of view and am interested in hearing any more that come along.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

What about one of the O/U rifle shotguns.
Savage 24, Baikel MP-94 or Remington SPR-94 (same gun as the Baikel)?
They come in various caliber/gauge combos.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

williamranks wrote:What about one of the O/U rifle shotguns.
Savage 24, Baikel MP-94 or Remington SPR-94 (same gun as the Baikel)?
They come in various caliber/gauge combos.
I thought about the combo guns pretty hard but I already have the Marlin 357
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

10 eye surgeries did not happen over a period of ten days, I am guessing years.
You must also be retired ( the ability to be gone for 90 days )
So I am thinking an older gentleman, about to embark on a bold endeavor.
Try to keep a journal of the experience, I would read it.
Good Luck.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

Mescalero wrote:10 eye surgeries did not happen over a period of ten days, I am guessing years.
You must also be retired ( the ability to be gone for 90 days )
So I am thinking an older gentleman, about to embark on a bold endeavor.
Try to keep a journal of the experience, I would read it.
Good Luck.
I was totally blind for little over 2 years .............. during that time I did a lot of thinking and this trip is one result of that thinking. I have always been an outdoorsman. Have camped, hunted, fished trapped, etc for nearly 50 years. I have done quite a bit of packing during every season and weather type but never for this long I chose this particular spot for it's ability to present me with good food and water choices.

Yes I am older, turning 55 tomorrow, and retired. I think I will keep a journal, thanks for the idea.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

bluesman423 wrote: I have been looking for a Ranch Dog 175 gr mold for my 357 Marlin but have had no luck so I believe I will go with the 180 gr soft point Hornady for now.
I would be happy to send you some of my 185 gr. cast wide flat nose bullets to try out. They are from a custom run of a Lee mold that a few of us here have. I've had very good luck with mine, but I will admit I haven't tried them in a Marlin yet. They shoot very well in my Rossi and a OM Blackhawk. I can tell you they will kill a deer just fine, and they are a penetrating fool out of that Blackhawk.

PM me your address if you are interested.

NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:Try to keep a journal of the experience, I would read it.
Good Luck.
Same here...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Personally, I'd find an iron sighted .22 rifle to carry, and have a shorty .44/45 on my belt for protection.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

.30-30 Trapper config with a red-dot or holo sight.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Personally, I'd find an iron sighted .22 rifle to carry, and have a shorty .44/45 on my belt for protection.
Yep - I'm thinking the little Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a Williams FP receiver sight and a bunch of ammo, for actual food-gathering, and it can be taken-down and packed up deep as necessary. Then most likely my Charter Arms 44 Special (or if bears likely, my 45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk) 'at hand' for things that need thumped quickly. Just a dozen or so rounds for the revolver.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Personally, I'd find an iron sighted .22 rifle to carry, and have a shorty .44/45 on my belt for protection.
Yep - I'm thinking the little Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a Williams FP receiver sight and a bunch of ammo, for actual food-gathering, and it can be taken-down and packed up deep as necessary. Then most likely my Charter Arms 44 Special (or if bears likely, my 45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk) 'at hand' for things that need thumped quickly. Just a dozen or so rounds for the revolver.
See, this is where I have an issue with .22s.

With a Lee Loader, a 35mm film canister of primers and a small supply of 2400 I can load anything from subsonic game getters to near top end whompum. Stocks of ammo can be tailored (or Tim Taylored) to the local fauna as needed.

A guy has got to have something to do around the campfire if hes by himself...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I know it's not a rifle, but I was thinking maybe along the lines of a Rem. 870 20gauge youth with a shotgun scope mounted on it. Short, light great for small game and with the right slugs passible for bigger game or protection. A shotgun can be comforting at night. The drawbacks are, ammo takes up a lot of space and is fairly heavy, and it's not a levergun.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Too many "answers" here have avoided the parameters established by the man asking the question..

He already has a .357 Marlin levergun.. Economics must be considered..

Because of vision concerns, he wants a low-power scope..

Will the .38 Spl/.357 Mag accomplish his desired goals? Absolutely.. Are there other combinations that would do as well? Probably, but that is what he has..

My considered suggestion would be to cut the Marlin to 16 inches, for ease of carry in a light weight scabbard on his pack..

Just my $0.02 worth.. Again...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I'm going to go completely off the reservation here. Have you considered taking a 20 ga pump shotgun? Short barrel, rifle sights.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Buck Elliott wrote:Too many "answers" here have avoided the parameters established by the man asking the question..

He already has a .357 Marlin levergun.. Economics must be considered..

Because of vision concerns, he wants a low-power scope..

Will the .38 Spl/.357 Mag accomplish his desired goals? Absolutely.. Are there other combinations that would do as well? Probably, but that is what he has..

My considered suggestion would be to cut the Marlin to 16 inches, for ease of carry in a light weight scabbard on his pack..

Just my $0.02 worth.. Again...
Ah, dang, Mr. Elliot....don't spoil all our fun of spending the man's money.

OI: If he's going to spend 3 months feeding himself, it's going to take more than a 35mm film canister full of primers...A brick of .22, and one box of 50 centerfires will take up much, much less space than fixin's for enough .357 to last 90 days.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have a marlin 357 mag. I think it would work, I have a leopould 1x4 available for it and works just fine.
Can shoot 38 special loads at smaller game, or even some of the lighter weight bullets
I think BUffalo bore has some stouter heavier loads for bears, cougars and hogs.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:OI: If he's going to spend 3 months feeding himself, it's going to take more than a 35mm film canister full of primers...A brick of .22, and one box of 50 centerfires will take up much, much less space than fixin's for enough .357 to last 90 days.....
He's not going shooting, he's foraging.

500 Primers fit into a single 35mm canister. 500 primers, a pound of 2400 (about 500rds av), a lee loader, a single cavity mold and a melter/dipper fit into a space not much larger than a Brick of .22. Add a pound of lead (about 40 158gr boolits, or a big pile of .358 RB for foraging) coupled with recovering Low Velocity foraging boolits, and 50 pieces of brass, and a guy can go for a LOOONG time - and still be more efficient on the top end than a .22 can ever be.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:OI: If he's going to spend 3 months feeding himself, it's going to take more than a 35mm film canister full of primers...A brick of .22, and one box of 50 centerfires will take up much, much less space than fixin's for enough .357 to last 90 days.....
He's not going shooting, he's foraging.

500 Primers fit into a single 35mm canister. 500 primers, a pound of 2400 (about 500rds av), a lee loader, a single cavity mold and a melter/dipper fit into a space not much larger than a Brick of .22. Add a pound of lead (about 40 158gr boolits, or a big pile of .358 RB for foraging) coupled with recovering Low Velocity foraging boolits, and 50 pieces of brass, and a guy can go for a LOOONG time - and still be more efficient on the top end than a .22 can ever be.
Dude, you be trippin'....You don't "need" more than a .22 to forage....He wants to minimize, not carry a complete reloading/casting outfit. No one has mentioned a dozen small fishhooks, and a small, 100 yard spool of line....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:...Dude, you be trippin'....You don't "need" more than a .22 to forage....He wants to minimize, not carry a complete reloading/casting outfit. No one has mentioned a dozen small fishhooks, and a small, 100 yard spool of line....
You don't carry that in your wallet? Heck, I carry more than that under the seat of my Bike...

But, no, you don't "need" more than a .22 to forage... but the .22 is about useless as an "Oh Freg!" anti Big Critter too, but I can load a .357 down to a seriously useful, dead silent (unlike a .22) small game getter, AND load it up to Bear/Cat Medicine...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

If I have room for reloading equipment then I have room for more loaded ammo, less stuff to get wet. I think I would waterproof a cloth roll up gun case, it might come in handy if you should have to stroll into town for resupplies. Maybe wrap them around a old pair of extra glasses. Dang now I think I've got to go on a trip too, Get away from family.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:...Dude, you be trippin'....You don't "need" more than a .22 to forage....He wants to minimize, not carry a complete reloading/casting outfit. No one has mentioned a dozen small fishhooks, and a small, 100 yard spool of line....
You don't carry that in your wallet? Heck, I carry more than that under the seat of my Bike...

But, no, you don't "need" more than a .22 to forage... but the .22 is about useless as an "Oh Freg!" anti Big Critter too, but I can load a .357 down to a seriously useful, dead silent (unlike a .22) small game getter, AND load it up to Bear/Cat Medicine...
I'm carrying a .44/45 on my belt....I don't need to mix up my rifle ammo....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Nope, neither do I... which is why my revolver can handle my Rifle loads (and only drop from 1800 to 1200fps in the process...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

This is a lever guns forum but a lightweight AR or Mini 14 would do the trick. They are easily scoped, lightweight, rugged, easy to convert to .22, light weight ammo, and have all the power you will ever need for game in the Arkansas/Oklahoma mountains.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Nope, neither do I... which is why my revolver can handle my Rifle loads (and only drop from 1800 to 1200fps in the process...)
I meant having several different loadings of the same calibre....You're going to look simply amazed when you're not loaded for bear, and mad mama charges :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recon the .357 rifle will work, but I would want a backup .22 revolver, you could go pretty small and light like a Ruger Bearcat and a few boxes of .22's.

Possibly a better option would be a .22 rifle, and a .357 pistol.

I would not take just one shooting iron, unless I took a few spare parts, like a extra firing pin, and tools to change it out. I have seen too many guns break down, even though usually they don't.

I know it's heavy, and the ammo is heavy, but a good shotgun, side by side would be my choice, because there will be days when game is scarce, and a single squirrel might be all that is seen, and with a sight problem to boot, I could fire one of my precious loads of #6 and I would eat that night. A good double trigger side by side can be carried with a load of #6's on one barrel and load of buckshot or slug in the other, and the loads could be changed out at night, for both barrels of buck shot or slug and buck. That coupled with a .22 revolver might be my choice. I would leave something else at home, instead, if I couldn't carry it all. Besides you're probably going to have a base camp, and wouldn't have to pack everything all of the time.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

For me...it would probably be my '94 Trapper chambered for the .44 Mag...then I could also carry my pistol chambered for the same.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well.. There ya go, Bluesman..

A Ton of "free" advice..

Most of it is worth exactly what you paid for it, and a lot less than it will cost you to follow a lot of it..

The choice is ultimately up to you.. You know what your needs and limitations are, even if many respondents didn't pause to consider them. would be interested in your final choice..

"Some people speak because they have something to say.. Others speak because they just have to say something.."
Regards

Buck

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

bluesman423 wrote:Very typical "choose one gun" topic applied to a realistic situation.

What are your thoughts?
Your plan sounds perfect to me. Good luck and have a great trip.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

samb wrote:

What are your thoughts?
Your plan sounds perfect to me. Good luck and have a great trip.
My only question about your plan is, do you intend to keep the magazine tube loaded with your .357 bear/hog/rapscallion loads and single load the .38s when you want to plug a squirrel or rabbit? Wouldn't be time-wise to try and load up with defense rounds in the heat of the moment. Would be faster to change into your running shoes.
I like the Marlin .357s. Have had two of them. But I think, for a 90 days walkabout, I would have to find something lighter.

Post the highlights when you get back.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle