Pedersoli Lighting ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Pedersoli Lighting ?

Post by hightime »

I've been asking about test rifles for my 357 mag. loads. Rossi '92's. Baby rolling block, and such have been on my mind. Now I've taken an interest in the current repro of the Colt Lighting made by Pedersoli. Does anyone have experience in these?

Owen
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pedersoli Lighting ?

Post by Pete44ru »

Keep in mind that the repro Lightnings (there's about four different brands, IIRC - Beretta, Pedersoli, Taurus &Uberti) are fairly-faithful replicas of a 130 year old, early pump/slide action design - and, therfore, won't run as smoothly with modern configured ammo as you may be used to (like a M92 levergun, i.e.).

There's a special method to both loads & shoot one, and IIRC, the ammo cannot be replenished unless the gun is empty.

They're pretty sucka's, though - for sure !

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

You might want to look in to how Pedersoli does it's warranty work in the U.S. I tried to own two Pedersoli lever guns last year and neither one would function as received, brand new in the box. The warranty shop was in Kansas and the gunsmith who did the warranty work lived in another state and traveled to Kansas when the stock of repairs built up enough to make the trip worthwhile. This could lead to days, weeks, or months of wait time. I ended up sending both of mine back to Cabela's, and to their credit they gave me a full refund. After the second defective gun I ended up buying a Miroku/Winchester and had no further problems. FYI, Pedersoli will sometimes answer your emails and sometimes will not....even when they are polite and sincere. They seem to be unconcerned after the sale. Just my experience, others may have fared better. One other thing....their 1874 Sharps replicas shoot great and function great and you can get parts and service at other places. Not so with the lever guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Depends on what you're testing.

I bought and kept for awhile a Handi-Rifle in 357 Mag, just specifically to see how accurate I could get my loads. Sub-MOA was kind of easy, since I mounted my 10-40x scope on the little Handi. I did the same thing with 44 Mag too. I realized that the same loads wouldn't necessarily be different in my Marlin and Rossi leverguns, but at least I proved to myself there was a potential far beyond what most people expect of those 'pistol' rounds. After the experimenting I sold both the rifles to pay for a Marlin 357 Mag... 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Avoid the Taurus version.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Avoid the Taurus version.
By all means... Especially the early ones..... Guess how I know?

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Avoid the Taurus version.
From what I understand, the Taurus version was different internally from the Colt Lightning (like a different design) is this true?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I think Pedersoli, Uberti and Berreta are all the same.

Owen
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Took me a long time to figure this one out.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

So,,, tell us what did you come up with in the final analysis?????
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The Uberti and the Beretta are the same gun, with possible, minor cosmetic differences..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I have the U.S.F.A. Version. One of the prettiest guns I know.

Jams ... but I have to work on that, it has hardly been shot.

Reloading with open action (?) and being forced to use one round less than possible for LA´s s*cks!!

Hermann
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I have the Beretta version of the Uberti, it had to go back to the factory before I ever got to shoot it. But I guess they got it right the second time around. The Beretta version came out before the regular Uberti and has painted on "case colors", wish I had waited to get the Uberti model with real case hardening.

The breech has to be open to put shells thru the loading gate as the lifter/elevator blocks the gate when the action is closed, but you can top off the mag with a shell on the lifter. I strongly suggest you make a cartridge pusher, I made mine out of a slender, curved, 7" or so long piece of deer antler with a thong thru the base end and the tip ground off, to help properly seat the last cartridge you load. If you don't get a cartridge far enough in and it slips under the lifter it's a real PITA to get it forward into the magazine. A set of thin, curved needle holders are a great tool for this. The best solution is to avoid the problem with a cartridge pusher.

A buddy had the Taurus and had all kinds of fits with it at first, I'm pretty sure he finally got it ironed out now but he wound up spending more with the initial cost and gunsmithing than I did on the Beretta. It's my understanding that Taurus has got the bugs worked out now, at least for the main part.

Not counting the Taurus I've been around and handled 3 Beretta or Uberti Lightnings. All of these guns are EXTREMELY sensitive to bullet shape, case length and especially OAL of the cartridge. Once you get it sorted out they're plenty accurate and faster working, in the right hands, than any lever gun ever made. These guns do not like to be babied when you work the action, pump it like you mean it. You don't have to try and pull the forearm off, just don't baby it. PM me if you want the specs on what works well in mine.

I don't know anything about the Pedersoli but I'll probably look at the American Western Arms 51D Lightning in .38 Special for my wife. They also manufacture the rifle in .38-40 and .44-40, two of the original cartridges, which should eliminate some of the feeding problems that the .38/.357 and .45 Colt straight-wall cartridges have and will better satisfy the traditional shooters.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.