Where did Browning manufacture their 1885 in the 90's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Where did Browning manufacture their 1885 in the 90's?

Post by FatJackDurham »

I was looking at a Browning High-Wall and the serial number indicates it was made in 1998. Was this domestically produces back then, or was it made in Japan?

What is the quality like on the gunes from this era?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Where did Browning manufacture their 1885 in the 90's?

Post by vancelw »

FatJackDurham wrote:I was looking at a Browning High-Wall and the serial number indicates it was made in 1998. Was this domestically produces back then, or was it made in Japan?

AFAIK, Japan and they are excellent quality (despite what the Belgium fanatics say)

I own probably a dozen Japan made Brownings (including two BPCR versions of the 1885) and Winchesters (Miroku) and they are all great firearms.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
FatJackDurham wrote:I was looking at a Browning High-Wall and the serial number indicates it was made in 1998. Was this domestically produces back then, or was it made in Japan?

AFAIK, Japan and they are excellent quality (despite what the Belgium fanatics say)

I own probably a dozen Japan made Brownings (including two BPCR versions of the 1885) and Winchesters (Miroku) and they are all great firearms.
I had an 1886EL that gave light strikes, and needed a COL shorter than normal.....Nice rifle, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

The rifle you saw was no doubt made in Japan, and the quality of the Japan made 1885's is excellent. I don't know if the rifle in question was the BPCR version, but I do own a Browning 1885 BPCR in .40-65, and so I purchased Wayne McLerran's excellent book "Browning Model 1885 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle". Per this book, the BPCR version of the Browning Model 1885 was introduced in 1996, and the entire Model 1885 line was officially discontinued in 2001. There have been a very few limited runs since then made by Browning in Japan for Davidson's.
The book is small and very spendy, but it covers every detail of the Browning 1885 BPCR, right down to the box it was shipped in!

Here is a link that may help someone shopping for a used Browning 1885:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Purchasing_Use ... _BPCR.html

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
vancelw wrote:

I had an 1886EL that gave light strikes, and needed a COL shorter than normal.....Nice rifle, though.
I had a model 71 that did that...the firing pin had a slight bow in it. I was able to straighten it and never had an issue after finally getting that puzzle put back together.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only domestically-produced (USA) "Browning" rifles were the originals, made from 1878 until John Browning licensed Winchester t make the design as the Winchester Model 1885.

The Connecticut-made Winchester Model 1885's in various configs were made from 1885 until discontinuation in 1920.

ANY Browning rifles made after 1964 were made under contract with the Miroku Gun Co (Japan), which stamped the rifles at first as "Browning", then later as "Winchester".

Winchester owned a piece of Miroku at the time, and Browning was owned by FN Herstal - and now FN owns both the Browning & Winchester names.

Miroku's fit/finish/quality has been better than Winchester's ever was, excepting for the Winchester Custom Shop guns.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:
The only domestically-produced (USA) "Browning" rifles were the originals, made from 1878 until John Browning licensed Winchester t make the design as the Winchester Model 1885.
The Connecticut-made Winchester Model 1885's in various configs were made from 1885 until discontinuation in 1920.
ANY Browning rifles made after 1964 were made under contract with the Miroku Gun Co (Japan), which stamped the rifles at first as "Browning", then later as "Winchester".
Winchester owned a piece of Miroku at the time, and Browning was owned by FN Herstal - and now FN owns the Browning name... but pays a royalty to Olin Corp for USE of the Winchester name.
Miroku's fit/finish/quality has been better than Winchester's ever was, excepting for the Winchester Custom Shop guns.
Fixed that for ya...

Yes, my 45Colt Browning 1885 from that era is a really well-made firearm. I love it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I have heard from more that one person that the Miroku HiWall they owned developed chamber rings. Has anyone had that issue? Something to do with using a synthetic filler with smokeless powder?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FatJackDurham wrote:I have heard from more that one person that the Miroku HiWall they owned developed chamber rings. Has anyone had that issue? Something to do with using a synthetic filler with smokeless powder?
What I've heard about using a synthetic filler causing problems wasn't limited to Miroku guns. More of a general... "hey don't do this if you're half-azzed smart!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

While these rifles are well made and finished they do differ from the originals, even outwardly. The early Browning had no top or bottom tang. In later models they added a top tang in different lengths, but still no bottom tang. The reason the top tangs were added was to enable fitting tang sights and the longer tang was required accommodate a large target tang sight.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JFE wrote:
While these rifles are well made and finished they do differ from the originals, even outwardly.

The early Browning had no top or bottom tang.

The 1970's Browning B-78 also had no upper tang, the bottom tang extended only far enough to carry the trigger group.

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Pete44ru wrote: ANY Browning rifles made after 1964 were made under contract with the Miroku Gun Co (Japan)...
Early BLRs were made in Belgium... are they the only exception?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My B-78 in 30-06 and tapered octagon barrel was made in Japan in the 1970s. One of only a few new guns I've bought. Very well made, very well used and quite accurate I might add.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

FatJackDurham wrote:I have heard from more that one person that the Miroku HiWall they owned developed chamber rings. Has anyone had that issue? Something to do with using a synthetic filler with smokeless powder?

What Griff said. Incorrect use of filler can ring ANY chamber.

Dennis.