Best target design for shooting groups?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Best target design for shooting groups?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am setting out on grouping my 223 bolt. I have no real experience with scopes. What target design gives you the best group with a "standard" hunting scope at 100 yards? For me it is a Leupold 4X Duplex reticle but I don't ever see anymore than 6X and standard reticles.

I have a bunch of printer paper recycling and hope to print my own once I get a design worked out. I see everything from circles, squares, crosses, and others?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best target design for shooting groups?

Post by jnyork »

The smaller the better, I just use a 1" square black sticker on plain white paper.

All the fancy designs, grid marks, etc that you see on commercial targets are kinda like the fancy fishing lures designed to catch fishermen, pretty but not of much practical use.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

First decide how much your cross hair covers up at 100 yd.. If it covers 1 1/2" at 100 yd. a 1" square wont even be seen. I like to shoot at a round bullseye with hunting scopes. I can center it up as well as any other.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too have several scopes with 4X and duplex reticals. When sighting in I use a 2" square. I can see a little of each corner out past the hairs. I get repeatable results with this target.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I prefer a diamond shape (4 pts). Line up the crosshairs on the vertical and horizontal points and you have dead center.
Something like this: Image

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimage ... 231404.jpg
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Being a cheapskate, I use a paper plate with a quarter-sized bright red hand drawn circle. Or, at the office stores they sell those stick on circles for file ID....If you buy them from a gun store they will make a mint off you....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I made my scope targets using a 2" black square in the middle of a grid with 1" spacing. Makes is real easy to center up the crosshairs with most scopes, and the grid makes it easy to measure group size. I don't have it on this computer at work, but I can email you a copy of it to print off if you like. It also has room and lines at the bottom for relevent load data for your records.

NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

66GTO wrote:I prefer a diamond shape (4 pts). Line up the crosshairs on the vertical and horizontal points and you have dead center.
Something like this: Image

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimage ... 231404.jpg
I use targets similar to these. Buy them in bulk at the gun show.

They are great for sighting in scope. In addition to being able to line up the crosshairs, you can tell at a glance how far off of Point of Aim you are,as those are 1" squares. I sight my scoped guns in for MPBR and they usually need to be 2 to 4 inches high at 100 meters, depending on the caliber and vital zone size I calculate for.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Some pretty cool stuff here..... ten pages that cover most of what we need......http://www.targetz.com/targets01.htm
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

With scopes, I prefer one similar to what 66GTO posted; for iron sights, I prefer a plain black square. But a lot depends on what your eye likes, and that might not be the same as mine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's what I print up at work on our photocopier (cheaper than an ink-jet that I print the 'original' on), and keep on hand.
I just used the 'table' setting on my word processor (shareware/free Open Office clone of MS-Word), and set the square size to one inch. The 'fill' setting allows different shades of grey to fill in the center squares; I like them grey but not black, so I can see the bullseye clearly with open sights, but can also see bullet holes with a scope.

The dots on the left are guides for three-hole notebook punching.

The back side has 'Range Rules' so everyone knows the deal...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like the one 66GTO posted. I have one I downloaded from the Remington site that's similar, but yellow diamonds. It's a bit harder to see in low light, but great in direct sunlight.
.45colt wrote:Some pretty cool stuff here..... ten pages that cover most of what we need......http://www.targetz.com/targets01.htm
Good site with lots to choose from.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, I found a bunch of printable free target sites so no need for yours Ted, thanks. By the way nice shooting, very pretty cloverleafs. That is minute of deer all the way to the other side of the pasture!

I'll print a couple of comparable designs and do some testing. I never considered that the crosshairs might be too wide for some scopes. It turns out my two scopes have ordinary Leupold Duplex reticles.

I also like the greytone to help spot the bullet strikes.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Smsllest group I ever shot was shooting st a 6" black bull.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I just use a 2" orange dot on printer paper or a paper plate. Works fine with my scope and I can see it with receiver sights or irons.

Eric
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Old Savage wrote:Smsllest group I ever shot was shooting st a 6" black bull.
How tough was the steak!! :lol:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

One other style that shows up on the free target sites s the framing of the crosshairs with L and reversed L lines that capture the crosshairs.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I like the 2" square and I use a 6 o clock hold. I put the cross hairs on the bottom of the square but adjust where point of impact is centered in square.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Canuck Bob wrote:Thanks guys, I found a bunch of printable free target sites....
Please post links to the best of the printable free target sites you found. :D
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

mod71alaska wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:Thanks guys, I found a bunch of printable free target sites....
Please post links to the best of the printable free target sites you found. :D
The only free target sight I ever need to use. 8)
http://mytargets.com/
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Thanks, Mike. :D

Good Shooting!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Some links
http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/thr ... ne-Targets -a whole bunch of links
http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printable ... -a/136.htm - a full size deer target
http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html - a whole bunch of serious targets for competitors
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

The target that 66gto shows is quite good. The only problem I had with them was trying to line up four points on the cross hairs and spending too much time doing so, thus messing up my breathing pattern.
Now I just put a row of staples on plain paper and aim at them. Accuracy was a fair bit better, and I only concentrate on the center of the cross hairs.
P.S. here is a good tip. When you find a target style you like, you can get it custom made on a rubber stamp, and use an inkpad.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just tore this out of the current issue of "recoil".

May not be the 'best' target to sight in on, or shoot for groups... but looks like it'll be fun... about 17"x22", so it should be good for either 100 or 200 with a good scope.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When shooting for the smallest groups I like a standard bullseye target and use a 6 o'clock hold. The scope is then adjusted so your point of to impact is in the X ring. when shooting for groups if your point of aim and point of impact are the same you will shoot away your point of aim before the group is done, then what?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Try the benchrest style target with the square above the target. http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
There are two printable sizes. The small is 1'' square for 100yds, and 2'' for 200yds. Try them both at 100yds. If you are shooting 3 or 4 shot groups you can hold directly on the bull. If you are shooting 5 or 10 shot groups, you can aim at the square, and adjust your point of impact to the bull, that way you will not obliterate your aiming point
You can set your horizontal cross hair on the upper line of the box, and the verticle line running through th bull below. Staying on the horizontal line and moving left or right allows for easier windage adjustment. This target is very versatile, and can be used in many ways.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For open sights I like a solid black square on white paper.....4" sq. @100 and 8" sq. at 200.

For scopes I like a 4" black sq. with 2" clear circle in the middle of it.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD