So, When We Reach TEOTWAWKT......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

So, When We Reach TEOTWAWKT......

Post by Blaine »

What will people be talking on? CB, the little FM 2 ways, 2 meter voice? How would you shield a box to keep them from burning out with an EMP?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: So, When We Reach TEOTWAWKT......

Post by Grizz »

whatever works... most radios will be useless

put radio in metal canister with tight fitting lid and tape lid tightly with duct tape

without the tape the microwaves can slide right under the lid and zap the contents.

put the canister into a 30 gallon steel trash can and tape that lid tightly.

most stuff stored that way will survive.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

BlaineG wrote:How would you shield a box to keep them from burning out with an EMP?
Steel ammo box, using tin foil as a crush seal to ensure complete lid contact. Ground to earth with something a few feet in depth.
That'll protect you from the rogue terrorist EMP strike. If you're dealing in solar max stuff, you're going to have to leave them in the box for a long time since they may risk getting spiked every other day :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mescalero will still contact you via smoke signals........ 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Two cans & a string should still work.
Just better have your 500 round mini machine gun on hand to
protect your cans & string from the street mob that wants to steal it :P
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like to think my old GE transistor using the old square 9-volt battery will be pulling in ghost signals from KJR, Seattle, Channel 95, with new stuff from Motown, the Beatles and the Doors ...

8)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

casastahle wrote:Two cans & a string should still work.

My thoughts exactly.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If things get that bad, I'll let my AR's and 1911's do the talking.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I need to reach out & touch someone, I have tools for that. If you wanna talk, approach on foot, arms raised over your head, hands splayed open. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Like the guy that hangs out at the golf course said very recently,
"I have no strategy for this situation" :?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What's in my Jeep .... Well, golf clubs and an 8 gallon stock pot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

TUBE radios, folks........

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:What's in my Jeep .... Well, golf clubs and an 8 gallon stock pot.
I wasn't referring to you OS. :wink:
I was referring to the guy we pay very well to live in that big white house.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote:What will people be talking on? CB, the little FM 2 ways, 2 meter voice? How would you shield a box to keep them from burning out with an EMP?
An old microwave. They are faraday cages.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:That'll protect you from the rogue terrorist EMP strike. If you're dealing in solar max stuff, you're going to have to leave them in the box for a long time since they may risk getting spiked every other day :)
Why would any terrorists smart enough to figure out how to detonate an EMP be stupid enough not to detonate another a few hours later to destroy all the gear people un-packed after the first one. . . ?????
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote:
Panzercat wrote:That'll protect you from the rogue terrorist EMP strike. If you're dealing in solar max stuff, you're going to have to leave them in the box for a long time since they may risk getting spiked every other day :)
Why would any terrorists smart enough to figure out how to detonate an EMP be stupid enough not to detonate another a few hours later to destroy all the gear people un-packed after the first one. . . ?????
Because he burned out all his stuff with the first one. :lol:
Last edited by harry on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

casastahle wrote:Like the guy that hangs out at the golf course said very recently,
Mike, your on a roll! :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tycer wrote:
BlaineG wrote:What will people be talking on? CB, the little FM 2 ways, 2 meter voice? How would you shield a box to keep them from burning out with an EMP?
An old microwave. They are faraday cages.

that can work if you tape it up with metalic duct tape, otherwise the microwaves can skip right into it. good reason not to have your head near the unsealed door when you toast your cinnamon. the little buggers can go into a 30 gal steel trash can thru the lid interface if it's not taped . . . . . .

there's a very good utubeUniversity video where a professor made tests to determine what will protect from emp, basically what I said in my first response. fun to watch though.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, TEOTWAWKI, means all people are dead. So, no one will be around to communicate.

Seriously, I'm much more concerned with natural disasters. In my area, earthquakes, fires and if it's a really, really, really big one tsunamis. All are short term/localized events. Mostly, I'll just sit tight. If the house falls or burns, I'll live out of my vehicles (folks do it everyday). If the structures stand, I'll have power till I run out of gas and the sun don't shine, water as long as the sun shines, food for months, and if the sewer lines don't collapse toilets (I live on top of the hill, s**t flows down hill even when the pumps at the bottom of the hill stop working).

The only problems I foresee is the potential for unwanted human intervention (both governmental and private). As long as the ammo holds out (and that could be a very, very, very long time) and I'm still upright I can deal with that too.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:The only problems I foresee is the potential for unwanted human intervention (both governmental and private). As long as the ammo holds out (and that could be a very, very, very long time) and I'm still upright I can deal with that too.
That's the BIG issue everywhere, really.

If it were 1915, and nearly everyone had the skills needed to 'live off the land', the 25% who didn't have land would move in with friends who did, and the 10% who knew nothing would do likewise and learn quickly. A few would turn to stealing and be quickly eliminated through evolutionary criminology.

However nowdays, fewer people have land, and although the non-land-owners still could theoretically all move out with friends or relatives who did, there are far more people who lack the skills to make anything themselves, including food, shelter, etc., so there would be millions of people out looting - far more than any one homesteader could fend off. In the worst-case scenario you'd have a few weeks of needing to be on-duty 24-hours a day patrolling ALL your perimeter, which for a rural homestead could require at least a dozen individuals organized and well equipped working on each shift, perhaps assisted by as many or more dogs (lots to feed) - so maybe you have 50 talented friends like that willing to relocate to your place, and already with some sense of teamwork and cooperation...?? Sure, in a big catastrophe, there would be rapid attrition of the weak, unhealthy, and unlucky, but that would still leave you with the strong, healthy, and lucky ones who would rule the day in caravans of violent raping and pillaging. Unfortunately, books like Forstchen's "One Second After" and those by James Wesley Rawles paint what I think is a realistic picture of TWOTWAWKI... :|

It isn't really 'new' stuff - that kind of anarchy has happened many times over the centuries. When we can create well-behaved governments, we give them enough money and power to stop that kind of lawlessness, but the 'cycle' is always that some of us (citizens) find it easier to have government 'help' us than make our own way in the world, so we start in with the selective-taxation and regulation stuff, and pretty soon the government is as damaging as the thugs we wanted them to keep under control. If we had just the right level and balance of technology so that the honest citizen could be impervious to attack by the 'wandering hordes', and yet not have an over-reaching government able to destroy citizens who are 'inconvenient' to their economic or social engineering, it would be nice.

It seems like the 18th and 19th century saw a glimpse of that, with the ordinary citizen having access to potent firearms and the printing press, but once stuff like satellites and jet planes came along, the balance shifted again, and now that everyone communicates in ways that are easily monitored, censored, and shut-down on a moment's notice, the bad-guys are once again empowered relative to the ordinary law-abiding citizen.

Widespread availability of independent transceiver radios would be a step towards restoring the ability of the common man to live in a safe and stable society.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:
casastahle wrote:Like the guy that hangs out at the golf course said very recently,
Mike, your on a roll! :lol:
Thanks Mike,
hopefully no one ever takes me to serious.
I never intend to hurt any feelings for sure. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tube Type Radios are the best... I can build a Crystal Radio in a matter of hours (including scrounging). A Spark-Gap / Arc Transmitter is so powerful (and simple) that they are banned by the FCC.

That said, my Ebay/Chicom 5w handheld VHF trancievers (with scramble) are well isolated from EMP in their Faraday cages. At $80/ea everyone should ferret a few away...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

AJMD429 wrote:
I'm kinda thinkin' most Americans are living day to day without stuff to pull out. And why bother with two? You're a disgruntled faction with a statement to make. Terrorism is a death of a thousand cuts, not a one hit TKO. Planes falling out of the sky, hospitals without power and supply chains grinding to a halt makes all the statement one could ever want. The casualties would make 9/11 look would look pretty tame over the long term.

But honestly, an event like that would take serious backing and planning. You can't just lob a nuke into the ionosphere over the eastern seaboard on a whim. Solar max would worry me more than this.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mathew 6: 27 (Who of us can even add 1 hour to our lives)

The number one killer of men is still heart disease, and number two is
still some form of cancer.

There's a very high probability that all the cool survival toys in those bags
and the little machine guns and shotguns that are kept in trucks and
scattered around our homes for the 'what if' thing will just be 'stuff'
our wives & children have to deal with in the end.

Bottom line :|
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

This is about as high tech as I plan on getting.
As long as primers still detonate and actions still cycle, I'm pretty squared away I guess.

The Princess (my wife) is a little worried, but I assured her its no problem getting around the woods with 4" heels and an alice pack.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

casastahle wrote:Mathew 6: 27 (Who of us can even add 1 hour to our lives) :|
+1
Well said! I guess all my guns and gadgets are simply to ensure that I protect and provide for my family until that day God choses to take me home. Hopefully I will hear him say, "Well Done, thou good and faithful servant"!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
casastahle wrote:Mathew 6: 27 (Who of us can even add 1 hour to our lives) :|
+1
Well said! I guess all my guns and gadgets are simply to ensure that I protect and provide for my family until that day God choses to take me home. Hopefully I will hear him say, "Well Done, thou good and faithful servant"!
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

casastahle wrote:Mathew 6: 27 (Who of us can even add 1 hour to our lives)

The number one killer of men is still heart disease, and number two is
still some form of cancer.

There's a very high probability that all the cool survival toys in those bags
and the little machine guns and shotguns that are kept in trucks and
scattered around our homes for the 'what if' thing will just be 'stuff'
our wives & children have to deal with in the end.

Bottom line :|
I think He wants us here on earth. He's given us choice. I don't think He would force us to make a dumb choice because He wants us home sooner rather than later. :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV