32S&W long reloads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

32S&W long reloads

Post by gcs »

A couple weeks ago I mentioned the 32 S&W revolver I "found" and I need to do some reloading for it.
I know Mescalero said he had a load for the 85 gr. XTP?, but I'll probably end up loading lead.
I can get both the 98/100 gr. WC and round nose flat points, (similar to, but not SWC). Anyone have a thought on which THEY would use?

For the amounts I'd probably use I'd rather buy loaded ammo, but, can no longer order ammo and when you mention 32 long,you get funny looks, but the law says I can order all the reloading components I want, go figure. Anyway, as always comments and ideas appreciated.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: 32S&W long reloads

Post by piller »

Sorry, I don't have anything to help you with here. You may have to buy the reloading dies and some bullets from a good manufacturer. The .32 Long is a small cartridge, so use caution in loading it. I am sure you know that the powder selection and being very close to the intended grain weight is important in a small case like that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz recomends the Buffalo Bore heavy for caliber SWC.
I have not tried it yet.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Find a box of the Hornady .32 wadcutters, sold 400 to the box. They also offer a 90 gr. SWC. I find that I use far more of the wadcutters in my .32H&R. Check the Hornady manual, but a light charge of either Bullseye, Red Dot or Titegroup should take care of about any chore you might have for a .32 and be a barrel of fun at the same time. Slower powders have not proven to work as well at .32 Long speeds.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My 85 gr. XTP load uses 700X.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

For self defense loads, I would use the wad cutters over round nose.
I haven't loaded for the 32 S&W Long, but had Reed's ammo load me some up a while back when ammo was scarce. 100gr wad cutters.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I would go with the RNFP.

Load bullets that are the same size as your cylinder throats.

Use a soft lube.

With WC's you will most likely need a custom expander, and a powder measure that will throw sub two grain charges accurately.

If your gun has fixed sights I would stick with 98 to 100 gr bullets .

-------------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Skip the Buffalo Bore stuff, if someone really needs more power they should get a bigger gun, take it easy on those ol' timers and they'll last a few more lifetimes. I'd go with the SWC's.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Goto reedsammo.com and order what you need very reasonably.