Attention all .410 shooters.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Attention all .410 shooters.

Post by Nath »

I got me a rating gun, a Webley&Scott 2&1/2" single shot. I worked the stock for better fit and refinished it. Wow does it shoot! Lots of rats on a local farm have fallen, pigeon and also a pheasant.
I have even reloaded the cases with H110 and 1/2oz of #7 and with no crimp just a glued top card they are top performers (apart from a chambering issue), fast but dirty.
It is good to own a .410 again.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Attention all .410 shooters.

Post by 2X22 »

Great report, Nath!

I absolutely adore the .410. My safe has plenty of 12's, 16's and 20's, even a 28. But my 410's take the most game for me, which is ruffed and blue grouse. My Savage 24 22/410 is used the most on my little farm, but a dandy Turkish made little Gazelle O/U is what I hunt with.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm likin' those .410's, too !

I gave my break-open H&R/Bay State .410 single-shot to my oldest Grandson this past Summer - but I kept my .410 Remington 11-48 autoloader for tree rats.

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ve got a win/9410 and it s one of my favorite rabbit guns
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hmmm. I don't have a 410, and have always wanted one. I also don't have any bolt-action shotguns in my collection.

By jove old boy - you are onto something here! :D

Just won an auction on gunbroker for a Mossberg Model 183, a 410 bolt-action shotgun with an external adjustable choke. Thanks for the great idea Nath (another enabler!). :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Hmmm. I don't have a 410, and have always wanted one. I also don't have any bolt-action shotguns in my collection.
Latch onto one of those 22 LR over 410 Shotshell breakopens by Savage. . . they are the perfect 'kid learning to hunt' gun, but when you get old like me, you find them a refreshing break from the 500 S&W's and AR-15's and 338 Lapuas and other cool but 'maxed-out' stuff.

Hunting rabbits with a 22LR/410 breakopen is close to perfect. On one hand I wish I'd not given my son the one I have/had, but on the other hand, he's far more likely to take that gun afield and appreciate it than I'd have the time to do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Rossi Rio Grande .410 is a good one too.

My old Damascus 16 hammer double works great as a .410 too.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I foolishly sold the 410 single shot I had to a friend who wanted to hunt with his nephew,and only have a set of inserts for the 12 ga now. Its not the same for sure. I may have to fix that.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I always had trouble hitting with the .410 barrel of my model 24.
When I mounted a 1.5x pistol scope I found out why.
With the .22 barrel dead on at 25 yards, .410 patterns and slugs centered in the lower left quadrant of the scope.
I mounted the scope in see-thru mounts and sighted-in the .410 barrel and use the irons for .22.

At a local gun show I recently purchased a Mossberg 183 with a two round blind magazine and full and modified choke tubes.
I also purchased this brochure http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Brochu ... /00BBX410/ and components from Ballistic Products. It looks like it will be fun to play with.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have three 410's at the moment !

The first one is a little Iver Johnson SxS "Skeeter" my mother gave my father for Xmas about 40 years ago . Think is was made in the 40's .

Second is a little Begium O/U that was made in the 50's I believe . We got it about 20 years ago after a old gunsmith friend had passed and his wife wanted to liquidate some stuff .

An the latest is a Crescent Arms SxS my father got me to buy at an auction two years ago . This thing was made in the late 20's early 30's I think . I thought it wasn't anything to get evcited about , so I wouldn't bid much and we still got it . After we got it home and I did some research near as I can figure I got it for about a third of it's value .

I used to have a lovely Krieghoff 32 O/U with Kolar tubes . That thing was a dream to shoot with the 410 tubes . I never ever shot an actual 410 shotgun at skeet as well as I did with that K-32 and tubes installed .

I bought one of the Marlin 410's new about 8-10 years ago . I kept it for awhile unfired , but finally took it to the club and shot two rounds of skeet . I was very lucky that day as I broke 45 out of 50 I think and of the 5 birds I missed each was the second bird on doubles . That thing was not slicked up at all and sometimes the lever would stick messing up me being smooth on the second bird .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My first shotgun was a Mossy 500 in .410. I still have it
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have three 410s, a H&R Topper single, a Remington 870 with a barrel rib plus an extra barrel plain, both full choke, and my favorite, a Savage 24 22 long rifle over 410. My 12s just languish in the safe..once in awhile I get blood in my eye and drag out a 20 but mostly enjoy the light recoil/report of the little 410s..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a shop teacher in high school that taught me a lot about guns. I'll always remember him telling about a Savage M24 he bought that had the plastic stock. He said he scoped it so he could use it for the upcoming squirrel season.On the first day of the season he was in the woods and put the stalk of a fat little gray. He thumbed back the hammer and drew bead on the first one he saw. When he squeezed the trigger the .410 barrel went off. He missed the squirrel but the thought that the 410 barrel missed after being spot on with the .22 he got so made he threw the whole rig down the hill and stomped off for home.
When he got home his wife was fixing supper in the kitchen. She looked over her shoulder and asked, where's your new gun. After he thought about it for a while he went back and recovered the gun took off the scope and sold it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a shop teacher in high school that taught me a lot about guns. I'll always remember him telling about a Savage M24 he bought that had the plastic stock. He said he scoped it so he could use it for the upcoming squirrel season.On the first day of the season he was in the woods and put the stalk of a fat little gray. He thumbed back the hammer and drew bead on the first one he saw. When he squeezed the trigger the .410 barrel went off. He missed the squirrel but the thought that the 410 barrel missed after being spot on with the .22 he got so made he threw the whole rig down the hill and stomped off for home.
When he got home his wife was fixing supper in the kitchen. She looked over her shoulder and asked, where's your new gun. After he thought about it for a while he went back and recovered the gun took off the scope and sold it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The price of those old Webley b/a .410s has increased a heck of a lot lately, I suppose because they are solid, reliable little game getters.
.410s are very underated, in the right hands they will perform remarkably well, I use my Cooey .410 more than any of my other shotguns and I have lost count of the squirrels it has bagged.
After carrying my Anschutz 9mm garden gun around for the past few weeks and not getting within sure killing range (10-12 yds) of a squirrel, :oops: I now consider my .410 even more capable than before..... :o

BTW Selling my Savage 24 was about the dumbest thing I ever did ...... :cry:

PS really nice photo Nath.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:The price of those old Webley b/a .410s has increased a heck of a lot lately, I suppose because they are solid, reliable little game getters.
.410s are very underated, in the right hands they will perform remarkably well, I use my Cooey .410 more than any of my other shotguns and I have lost count of the squirrels it has bagged.
After carrying my Anschutz 9mm garden gun around for the past few weeks and not getting within sure killing range (10-12 yds) of a squirrel, :oops: I now consider my .410 even more capable than before..... :o

BTW Selling my Savage 24 was about the dumbest thing I ever did ...... :cry:

PS really nice photo Nath.
And me Gamekeeper. Savage 24's are great.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My win9410
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

barbarossa wrote:Image

My win9410
A picture worth a thousand words!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Image
And yet MORE talkin' with words!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nath, it is always great to see your pics. The .410 has definitely experienced a rebirth on this side of the pond in the past recent years. For me, it started when Stoeger came out with a nice .410 double that I ended up buying for my daughter for her first gun. Then Taurus came out with the JUDGE revolver and the ammunition companies have been producing excellent .410 defensive ammo. It was also nice to see Rossi and Winchester put out some levers in a .410 as well. I recently was lucky enough to pick up a youth NEF .410 Pardoner Single Shot, CHEAP, that I am putting back for a grandkid.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

410 has also got busy again over here.
Those 410 leverguns turn me green :mrgreen:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!