Prayer request. . . for a . . . goat...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Prayer request. . . for a . . . goat...

Post by AJMD429 »

:?

Much 'livestock' is just raised for meat, and gets an ear-tag number for monitoring. Lifespan a year or two maximum. Dairy goats are different - they are not 'consumed', and they are docile, and unlike a herd of cattle, are typically hand-milked and often just kept as pets or irregular-terrain grazers long after their lactating career has ended.

Unfortunately, the combination of moving one electric fence charger to replace a defective one, not telling my wife I did that, and her putting the goats in a place for the day they usually only go when our dogs are put in their fenced-in area, is probably why when my daughter went out this evening to herd them back to their normal pasture, she found them mauled, with holes exposing internals, and ears/tails chewed off down to bone. They were huddled in a hyperventilating pile of stress. These are animals my wife spent 10-12 years taking their ancestors to 4H shows and breeding with other quality animals so we had show-winners, and just generally beautiful and healthy animals.

We no longer milk them due to our schedules and her arthritis, but they are wonderful pets and ways to keep swampy or hilly areas clear of weeds and brush. She commented a few weeks ago that they were one of the few 'beautiful' things in life that hadn't been stripped away from us by our own personal financial downturns and the whole country's downhill slide.

So, tonight I had to go out and shoot two of the three in the head. We will see if we can salvage the third, but they are so social and obsessive-compulsive that any change in routine (death of both the other lifelong companions) often harms them as much as physical injuries do.

Thankfully our ever-so-gracious masters still allow some of us to possess suppressors, so there wasn't any 'executioner noise' back at the house for wife and daughter to hear.

Anyway, I'm praying that the remaining goat recovers from the injuries, and that we can afford the vet bills (I'll do what I can myself). Mostly, I guess, really praying that my wife and daughter aren't set back too much by all this. The visuals of seeing loved pets mauled to the point of needing euthanized are not ones most people do well with.

Still, I know that worldwide, dozens of people probably came home today to find not their pets, but their own families, in similar states, either from war, terrorism, or just some neighborhood pervert. Pray most of all for them, but maybe toss in a word or two about the goat... :|

> Click on for Video of Baby Goat

======== Update part way down page ========
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Prayer request. . . for a . . . goat...

Post by Blaine »

They were still valued members......I'm sorry for your loss.... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I've always liked goats, and they do become like part of the family.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry for your loss, I hope and pray the survivor survives.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Prayers up !
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Doc......I'm with you and your family. When a pet is lost, it does tear at the heart.

I know whats its like to shoot a beloved animal.....We had "Sugar", our quarter horse for 28 years and when one of her organs shut down....I was told it was the pancreas, or however you spell that word, ,...........I had to draw the imaginary "X" from her eyes to ears and plant a 400 gr 45-70 at 1000 to silence her bawling. I can see it right now as plain as it was 4 years ago.

What was it, wild dogs?------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

It's not your fault dad so don't blame it on not telling about the fence. It was nobody's fault. It just. Was. :(
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, I walked the fence this morning, and there had been a large pine tree that fell last year and pushed the 60" fence down about a foot, and 44MagHunter and I had cut it off the fence, but evidently later on another pine fell and pushed the fence down to within 12" of the ground. Judging from the vine growth and leaves on the fence, and so on, it had been that way for at least a month. With the needles remaining on the other pine for quite awhile, we didn't notice the second tree which was sort of behind it out of view from the house and driveway.

On the hillside (not in the pasture) above it, there was much leaf-stirring and multiple piles of goat-poop (easy to tell from deer-poop). One leaf with obvious blood stain on it.
Fence Down.jpg
So.....whatever happened, happened outside the pasture, where the goats shouldn't have had access, but did, and whatever the predators were I still don't know. Could have been our dogs, but none of them had blood on their fur or claws, and I'd think if they were attacking or worrying the goats, they would still have been in the pen when my wife got home.

Sure wish dogs could talk; they would either have a confession to make, or a tale of coyotes or wild dogs attacking the goats, and our dogs helplessly watching, maybe trying to intervene.

We will never know, but either way it is clear that the goats were not in their pasture when attacked. Wasn't the lack of fence charger or that they were in the wrong pasture; they weren't in any pasture - they were in the woods next to their usual pasture...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Heartbreaking. A friend lost all 20-something of his family's sheep and goats to a cougar in one night. The mess encountered the next morning traumatized his young boys.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pray most of all for them, but maybe toss in a word or two about the goat...
Prayers UP

sorry for the trauma
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Sorry for the loss, before MOM died she had the same problems with some neighbors dogs running the area. After I killed two of them in the act and the neighbor had to pay for the goats the problem was stopped before the others were killed.
It is not the critic who counts
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sorry for the loss of your pets, Doc.

I hope the family finds a way to deal with the trauma, and that your remaining goat heals up right.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I'm very sorry to hear it Doc, I have a soft spot for goats - in spite of their sometimes difficult nature they are very friendly animals. Like a dog, they are impossible not to like if you like animals.

We had one that came with a dairy calf as company, we later gave him to a cattle rancher who also keeps goats. Last I heard he sold his whole herd but six, ours was one of the ones he kept. Probably even calls him by name when no one's around - Whiskey - great name for any goat :lol:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sorry for Your loss Doc...When I was young three stray dogs got into the Farmers sheep across the street from our house. several were all tore up dragging their guts around the pasture. they had to be put down.
Fortunate for the Farm owner His Hired Hand Bill Palmer was on the job that day, Bill was a Crack Shot and killed two of the dogs right there. the other went home. We all knew whose dogs they belonged to. soon the owner shows up having a fit.
Too bad for Him that the owner of the Farm was at the time also the Mayor, and the Police Chief took care of all of the court stuff. cost the dog owner a bundle.
Bill was a small Man in stature, but was a WW2 Combat Vet and He could shoot any firearm well.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

FWiedner wrote:Sorry for the loss of your pets, Doc.

I hope the family finds a way to deal with the trauma, and that your remaining goat heals up right.

:(

+1
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.45colt wrote:Sorry for Your loss Doc...When I was young three stray dogs got into the Farmers sheep across the street from our house. several were all tore up dragging their guts around the pasture. they had to be put down.
Fortunate for the Farm owner His Hired Hand Bill Palmer was on the job that day, Bill was a Crack Shot and killed two of the dogs right there. the other went home. We all knew whose dogs they belonged to. soon the owner shows up having a fit.
Too bad for Him that the owner of the Farm was at the time also the Mayor, and the Police Chief took care of all of the court stuff. cost the dog owner a bundle.
Bill was a small Man in stature, but was a WW2 Combat Vet and He could shoot any firearm well.
Once when I was sent to Korea , I gave my husky to a fellow soldier whose parents had a farm. The dog made it about a day when he started killing chickens. "Boom" and I would have pulled the trigger myself....no excuse for that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I had a dog I cured of killing chickens. The main thing is that the dog has to value your pleasure over his own, not all do. After that its just a question of communicating your displeasure :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I hate to hear that Doc ---- i just did a hail claim on a rural acreage and they had goats and sheep -----

silly things followed me all around that property -- trying to pull my notepad out of my hands ! :lol: ---

I had fun for sure ---

I like em, --- it doesnt sound like it was your pooches, so i hope you find the perpetrators and extract your pound of flesh ----
----- Doug