Since We've Gone Tactical <|:-)~ (Need Glock Opinions)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Since We've Gone Tactical <|:-)~ (Need Glock Opinions)

Post by Blaine »

I've just got around to noticing that my G30S has a dovetail(?) under the muzzle.... Since this is a SD weapon, do I want to: (A) Put nothing there. (B) Get a narrow-beam supper-sizzler flashlight. (C) A good Laser.

FWIW, I like the factory Crimson Trace on my LCP, but it's not strong enough for bright daylight. If I could find a flash that defaulted to strobe when it turns on, that would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Since We've Gone Tactical <|:-)~ (Need Glock Opinions)

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I am not super big on a light mounted on the pistol for most users while carrying, and one reason is just discipline. The temptation is there to use the light to find the seatbelt when you are buckling a kid into a carseat, or to see what the dog is barking at, or to find object that rolled under the bed . . .

Also holster become more difficult and often break the lights since they generally retain on the light, not the holster.

On the other hand, on the nightstand, if you also have a separate light, a mounted light is not a bad idea.

Lasers and lights work well - I used to be trained to distrust the usefulness of lasers and lights, until I actually used them, and realized the benefits.

Whatever you do, if you are getting something that goes on a pistol rail, get something that is standard. There are lots of Chinese and off-brand lights and lasers out there - some of which work great, I'm sure, but just try to find a holster that fits . . .

Holster manufacturers have to make choices - it is hard enough covering all of the models of pistols - to cover all of the possible pistol/light/laser combos is not even close to a possibility. So the holster manufacturers look for what is standard for professional users. We get continual calls and emails from people who cannot find a holster for their Viridian laser or off-brand light, but it is impractical for us to cover those products that are not used by LE or military users, so we cover StreamLight and Crimson Trace, etc., and only specific models that are heavily used.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Surefire is pretty much the only pistol light I'll use, the X300 and X300U.

They won't fit a 30 (i own one) as far as I remember.

Streamlight's TLR-1 is decent. For a house gun at night, they have their uses. Having just recently shot a night qual, once again the superiority of a pistol mounted light for FIGHTING at night is without doubt. But you still need a handheld for searching and other things.

For most CCW type purposes I carry a smaller Surefire handheld, because you can scan, "blink" and strobe light at things long before they need to be shot, and sometimes just the really obvious "I SEE YOU" zap with a Surefire can cause scumbags to choose to be elsewhere.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd put a bayonet on it . . . 8) :shock:

Seriously, MAYBE a laser (I like Crimson Trace grips!). The under-barrel ones are still kinda bulky though, and not as automatic as the Crimson Trace ones (don't know any CT option for Glocks but you could check their website).

I agree with 7.62 on the light issue, with one possible exception....
7.62 Precision wrote:I am not super big on a light mounted on the pistol for most users while carrying, and one reason is just discipline. The temptation is there to use the light to find the seatbelt when you are buckling a kid into a carseat, or to see what the dog is barking at, or to find object that rolled under the bed . . .
I have a magazine-mounted light that fits on extended 1911 single-stack magazines, so the part that sticks out of the gun with an 11-shot or so magazine winds up with a small light clamped to the side of it, and it can SWIVEL up or down. I'll go out to do chores and slip it in my waistband cross-draw style, swiveling the light to point forwards. If I do pick up the gun to 'investigate' something I have the option of either just using the light with the gun pointing 90 degrees away (if it is a bump-in-the-dark thing I'm checking out), or just pulling out the magazine and using the light without the gun waving around at all. If I need to take a shot at a possum in the henhouse, all I do is swivel the light to aim forward. It seems to stay put despite recoil, if I keep the screws tight. Dunno brand (none stamped on it) but it was a cheapie from CheaperThanDirt I think - they may make them for Glocks.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd put a bayonet on it . . . 8) :shock:

Seriously, MAYBE a laser (I like Crimson Trace grips!). The under-barrel ones are still kinda bulky though, and not as automatic as the Crimson Trace ones (don't know any CT option for Glocks but you could check their website).

I agree with 7.62 on the light issue, with one possible exception....
7.62 Precision wrote:I am not super big on a light mounted on the pistol for most users while carrying, and one reason is just discipline. The temptation is there to use the light to find the seatbelt when you are buckling a kid into a carseat, or to see what the dog is barking at, or to find object that rolled under the bed . . .
I have a magazine-mounted light that fits on extended 1911 single-stack magazines, so the part that sticks out of the gun with an 11-shot or so magazine winds up with a small light clamped to the side of it, and it can SWIVEL up or down. I'll go out to do chores and slip it in my waistband cross-draw style, swiveling the light to point forwards. If I do pick up the gun to 'investigate' something I have the option of either just using the light with the gun pointing 90 degrees away (if it is a bump-in-the-dark thing I'm checking out), or just pulling out the magazine and using the light without the gun waving around at all. If I need to take a shot at a possum in the henhouse, all I do is swivel the light to aim forward. It seems to stay put despite recoil, if I keep the screws tight. Dunno brand (none stamped on it) but it was a cheapie from CheaperThanDirt I think - they may make them for Glocks.
I'm thinking about that flash option with the 870 Tactical. That's what I really want to go outside the house with (with someone living in every direction) if I have a choice. If it lights up a target, I'll prolly hit it....The G30S would be for carry (not everyday) into ZombiLand, or on the trail.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

(A)
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:(A)
:lol: Probably.......

Some Youse persons here are rubbing off on me...... :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Paco Kelly's Tactical Forum 8)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have a TLR-1 on my bed side Glock 17 but I don't think I would like one on a carry gun. I do always have a handheld light in my back pocket if needed.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:I have a TLR-1 on my bed side Glock 17 but I don't think I would like one on a carry gun. I do always have a handheld light in my back pocket if needed.
I have a TLR-1s (also has strobe function) that stays on my Glock 17 most of the time. If I want, I can take it off an put it on an AR or shotgun in seconds.
I believe in having a hand held light, too. But, a gun mounted light that is easily activated/deactivated frees up your hands for intruders, varmints, whatever.

For concealed carry, I wouldn't want one on the gun all the time, nor for duty carry. But I like having it handy to clip on when I need to.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Can you fashion a way to fasten a Ruger Super Blackhawk to the bottom of that Picatinny for backup when the plastic fantastic fails you? :lol: :lol:

(Yuckin' it up as i am the owner of a G29 myself) In all seriousness though, Glock makes a light themselves that doesnt put out the lumens of a $400 Streamlight, but is a nice way to incorporate a light for under a hunsky i think
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I paid about $100 for my Streamlight TLR-1s....300 lumen and 12,000 candela. Pretty bright. Shines all the way from the house to the woods.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle