Public Range can be a dangerous place!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Public Range can be a dangerous place!

Post by TedH »

Went out to the my local public range early this morning to try some new handloads in a few guns. It just recently re-opened after a major face lift where they put a roof over the entire firing line, among several major upgrades. The roof is slanted down in front and comes down quite low, so there is just a small area to shoot through. I suspect their intent is noise reduction and reduced possibility of rounds going over the berms, which they added height to as well.
Anyway, I was shooting through my chrony which I had placed just beyond the roof. After my first group I went around to check the chrony and reset it. The sun was coming up and was directly in my eyes, so I put my head down and blocked the sun with the bill of my cap. Next thing I know something slams into the top of my head, my feet fly out from under me, and I'm laying flat on my back. "My God I've been shot in the head!" was the first thing that entered my mind in that split second. I reached up and felt my head, my fingers came back with blood on them. Only problem was there was no one else around. After the stars left my vision, I realized that I had just walked into the dang low hanging roof. D'oh! Idiot. Live and learn. :oops:

NRA Life Member
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Public Range can be a dangerous place!

Post by Thunder50 »

Wonder how long it will be before there are holes in that overhang??? Glad you are OK.!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There is already holes in it, in more than one place! That's a whole nuther kind of idiot there. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Gun shot wounds to the head can hurt sometimes. I'm glad it healed okay.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad you are ok....
sometimes it pays to be short! :wink:

they did the same thing at our range and added these barriers every 25 yards or so,
8 to 10 off the ground so you can see nothing but the targets beyond....
and of course....some idiot with an ar was shooting through the fascia
and right next to me...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I would gladly accept a head injury for having the range to myself. Every time I go with my son, it's full of goofballs with military type rifles firing off more rounds than I could afford in a year. One time the poor kid was getting hammered in the face with burning hot ejected cases. I didn't realize what was happening until I noticed he was trying to stifle his tears from the pain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

FLINT, that's why I go so early. I get there at the crack of dawn, and I'm usually done by the time the tac-tards crawl out of bed and show up.
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Alpine Gun Range in Ft. Worth, TX also has barriers that I have to duck under. They have holes in them, too. Sadly, idiots are everywhere. We all do some things without thinking, but idiots do everything without thinking. TedH, in your defense, that overhang was new and you weren't used to having to duck. At least, your moment of inattentiveness was not at the time that rounds were going downrange.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:FLINT, that's why I go so early. I get there at the crack of dawn, and I'm usually done by the time the tac-tards crawl out of bed and show up.
Unfortunately, my local range faces due East....

I've gotten to where I just shoot at the house now. I'm only able to do straight shooting...no roaming pistol or anything like that since I don't have enough backstop, but it beats wallowing in the shallow gene pool.

I always worry at the local range, when you go in the outhouse and there are bullet holes all in it :evil:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote:
TedH wrote:FLINT, that's why I go so early. I get there at the crack of dawn, and I'm usually done by the time the tac-tards crawl out of bed and show up.

I've gotten to where I just shoot at the house now. I'm only able to do straight shooting...no roaming pistol or anything like that since I don't have enough backstop, but it beats wallowing in the shallow gene pool.
Hopefully within 6 months or so I'll be out of this town, and have a place where I can do that too.
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I can understand the reasoning behind the low hanging roof, but can the berm/target be seen/fired at from a standing position? If you, or anyone else has to go down range to change targets during a cease fire, can you go from your firing position or must you go to the side of the firing line to go down range? Sometimes good ideas are such a pain, they don't work... :D

"Tac-tards", I like that! I watch "Guns and Ammo TV" on Monday nights and 90% of the "action", or shooting shown is rapid fire, from an "offensive" or "tactical" stance and usually eat up the whole magazine. Bolt action rifles are shot as fast as the shooter can operate the bold, usually in 3 shot 'bursts". The ranges I frequented in L.A. would not allow rapid fire, even the out door ones, so I wonder where the "Tac-tards" go shootin'...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

FLINT wrote:I would gladly accept a head injury for having the range to myself. Every time I go with my son, it's full of goofballs with military type rifles firing off more rounds than I could afford in a year. One time the poor kid was getting hammered in the face with burning hot ejected cases. I didn't realize what was happening until I noticed he was trying to stifle his tears from the pain.
that's why I shoot in the national forest. or on blm land. haven't been to a 'range' in many years.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

mikld wrote:I can understand the reasoning behind the low hanging roof, but can the berm/target be seen/fired at from a standing position?
Does anyone actually shoot standing anymore? I thought that died with Hollywood Westerns
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrentD wrote:
mikld wrote:I can understand the reasoning behind the low hanging roof, but can the berm/target be seen/fired at from a standing position?
Does anyone actually shoot standing anymore? I thought that died with Hollywood Westerns
600+ people do at the Quigley each year :D With antiquated equipment....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

vancelw wrote:
BrentD wrote:
600+ people do at the Quigley each year :D With antiquated equipment....
yeah, I know, but seriously, I see very very few people shooting while standing at any rifle range.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The tac-turd group usually does. :roll:

Makes it even scarier
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

vancelw wrote:The tac-turd group usually does. :roll:

Makes it even scarier

Not in my neck of the woods. they are on the benches too. You're right though, that would be scarier. Much.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrentD wrote:
vancelw wrote:The tac-turd group usually does. :roll:

Makes it even scarier

Not in my neck of the woods. they are on the benches too. You're right though, that would be scarier. Much.
I guess they are emulating Rambo?!?!

I actually do see some off hand shooting. The 4H kids have to do it (the ones old enough and strong enough to hold the rifle up safely) and every now and then a few rifle looneys will be seen shooting for groups. But you are correct, most folks don't practice it and then wonder why they shoot low when they try it on a deer.

But that was my first thought when I saw Ted's picture. Imagining my range facing east, I could well see them wanting a low roof without thinking it through. A select few are always asking the club to build bigger overhangs, but if they did I would have to put my chrono out so far I'd probably shoot it. So....Santa can bring me more berms for the house and I'll be happy.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mikld wrote:I can understand the reasoning behind the low hanging roof, but can the berm/target be seen/fired at from a standing position? If you, or anyone else has to go down range to change targets during a cease fire, can you go from your firing position or must you go to the side of the firing line to go down range? ...

No, there is no means to shoot from a standing position now. Which, I used to do regularly here. :evil:

There are fences now in place that force you to go to the sidewalk on the side of the range to to down to the target stands. :roll:
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BrentD wrote:
About 30-40 of us gather to shoot every Friday morning here in Yuma, all offhand:

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Yes, indeed. But not every range has Glenda to run their matches. :)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I hate to break this to you Ted but I believe you and I are related. ;) i thought this stuff only happened go me!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad o hear you're ok... a crack on the noggin' can either wake you up... or put you to sleep. Don't worry, unless you do it again! :evil: :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I drove through to look at the changes they make to the range a few weeks ago, but didn't shoot. My son shoots there occassionally, but not since the range was 'upgraded.' I didn't realize that you can't shoot from the standing position. That is terrible. I live 40 or so miles east of there and have my own backyard range, so will pass on shooting there. I guess MDC's range designers have to create ranges for the lowest common demoninator. Too bad.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

InTheWoods wrote:I drove through to look at the changes they make to the range a few weeks ago, but didn't shoot. My son shoots there occassionally, but not since the range was 'upgraded.' I didn't realize that you can't shoot from the standing position. That is terrible. I live 40 or so miles east of there and have my own backyard range, so will pass on shooting there. I guess MDC's range designers have to create ranges for the lowest common demoninator. Too bad.
I read in the paper a couple month's ago that this was going to be the "Model" that they were going to use for all the MDC ranges in the state. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Clarkm
Levergunner

Post by Clarkm »

After I bump my head on something, I staple surveyor's tape to it.
It could also work as a wind flag.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Clarkm wrote:After I bump my head on something, I staple surveyor's tape to it.
It could also work as a wind flag.
Doesn't that hurt worse than the bump, and doesn't it make you look silly? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch Ted! Glad you are okay (except, maybe, your pride!) :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah YK, it's a good thing my wife wasn't there to see it, she would still be laughing.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ouch!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

don't look worse for the wear - maybe a bit perplexed.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

So... How'd the gun shoot?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff wrote:So... How'd the gun shoot?
With that dandy receiver sight :wink:, it shot purdy good. I need to get another mold for it because the bullets from the 30-30 molds I have won't chamber without engaging the rifling and it takes a rather firm squeeze to close her up all the way. I could seat them deeper, but I would prefer to crimp in the proper groove. This one apparently has a pretty tight throat. Still, I managed a couple loads that grouped about an inch at 50 yards. I told Santa I would like that Saeco mold you told me about, so we'll see if I've been a good boy this year.
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I don't know of many hunters that take a bench with them when they venture out is search of venison. Some guys practice for what they may encounter in the field; standing, standing with rest, sitting (on the ground not a stool/bench), and prone. I know about tree stands and "concealed" stands, but some still stalk game and will take a standing shot when necessary...

But things may have changed in the several years I haven't been "in the field"...
Mike
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

BrentD,

I always shoot from the standing position:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's OK Ted, it's not easy having a Polish last name. :D

By the way...nice hat.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I'd say the OP needs to add one more bit of safety equipment to his range bag.

http://extremehardhats.com/camo_hard_hats/
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:
Griff wrote:So... How'd the gun shoot?
With that dandy receiver sight :wink:, it shot purdy good. I need to get another mold for it because the bullets from the 30-30 molds I have won't chamber without engaging the rifling and it takes a rather firm squeeze to close her up all the way. I could seat them deeper, but I would prefer to crimp in the proper groove. This one apparently has a pretty tight throat. Still, I managed a couple loads that grouped about an inch at 50 yards. I told Santa I would like that Saeco mold you told me about, so we'll see if I've been a good boy this year.
That's a nice insert you got in it. I was going to put one in the sight, but found I don't have any duplicates.

BTW, I also found that I'd lost the exposed screw to my other'n, and I called William's about ordering a replacement; the guy in customer service just dropped one in the mail. So another fine company to deal with!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: and I called William's about ordering a replacement; the guy in customer service just dropped one in the mail. So another fine company to deal with!
Yes, they are. I had to call them for advise after the gun butcher messed up my 1895 Whelen. They took the time to talk to me about different parts and gunsmithing options. So few companies nowadays take time helping customers.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

jeepnik wrote:Well, I'd say the OP needs to add one more bit of safety equipment to his range bag.

:lol: :lol: I like it!

Griff wrote:That's a nice insert you got in it. I was going to put one in the sight, but found I don't have any duplicates.
I picked that one up from Midway, but I think the apeture might be too small for all but a real bright day. Might get anothern with a larger hole too, or maybe just drill this one out a bit.
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

jeepnik wrote:Well, I'd say the OP needs to add one more bit of safety equipment to his range bag.

Those are cool! Want one...
Mike
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Not only public ranges but private clubs as well.In Pa the Game Comm has several ranges open to the public.Only requirement is you buy a hunting licenses. We have at our club 5yd 12 yd pistol and 25 to 200 yd rifle plus a shotgun patterning board.Rules say no shot fine or buckshot at any but the pattern board.You find lots of 6 shot at the 25 yd .Never find 410 cases so not from a Tauras Judge.The sign stating so is shot full of holes.Also the roof has holes.The metal box for spent cases is full of holes.We got rid of the trash can and made it a carry in carry outrange.took awhile but 99% do it.To much house trash in the containers plus diapers etc.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Tac-tard made me smile!!