Beretta A300 Outlander for dove hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Beretta A300 Outlander for dove hunting?

Post by 66GTO »

I started dove hunting this year for the first time since I was a teenager and "need" a new shotgun. Actually, what I need is more practice, but it's an excuse to buy a new shotgun. I have been using my 870 Express 12 gauge but would like a semi-auto in 12 gauge (I can waste more ammo that way :) ). I have been reading about the Beretta A300 Outlander and would like to get one in the camo finish. They list for about $800. Dick's had one on black Friday for $200 off but now is not a good time financially (property taxes, insurance, Christmas, etc.). Maybe sometime next year before dove season begins. I may also use it to duck hunt.

The gun is made in the U.S., except for the barrel, which is made in Italy. It is supposed to be a conglomeration of parts from previous Beretta models and has gotten good reviews online. It is chambered for both 2 3/4" and 3" shells, 28" barrel, and it comes with 3 screw in chokes.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this shotgun or with Beretta shotguns in general? What is your preference for a dove gun if different from the A300?
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Beretta A300 Outlander for dove hunting?

Post by harry »

I have a stoeger 2000 with the camo stock, less than 500 bucks and the only "draw back" is it wasn't made to chamber 3 1/2 inch shells. I don't use 3 1/2 inch shells so no big deal for me. Also Benelli got the design for their action from Stoeger, when they bought them.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My bird guns are all SxS in 20 or 12.
My teenager 20 for all upland game:

My repro 20 for upland game:

12 ga looks just like big brother to repro 20 - use it on anything with feathers that flies.

Never owned an autoloader - way to complicated for me. :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

crs wrote:My bird guns are all SxS in 20 or 12.
My teenager 20 for all upland game:

My repro 20 for upland game:

12 ga looks just like big brother to repro 20 - use it on anything with feathers that flies.

Never owned an autoloader - way to complicated for me. :wink:
My first shotgun was a Stevens .410 double barrel, so that is what I learned to shoot with. 30 some odd years ago I walked into a gun store and picked up a used Fox double barrel that felt as right as any shotgun I ever shouldered. Didn't buy it and I still regret it to this day.

My problem with doves is that two shots is never enough!
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You can't have more than 3 shots when dove hunting anyway (migratory bird) so why bother with all that extra contraption for one more bullet?
I really like my Baretta s x s double. Looks a lot like the one above in the picture with the pheasant. Mine's a 12 but the 20s they make are really nimble. They are a little pricey but good used ones can be had at reasonable prices.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

From various guns used by family members and hunting buddies, I would avoid guns chambered for 3 1/2" shells. Quite simply they aren't needed. The 3" shells for waterfowl hunting are all you need these days. When the 3 1/2" came out the extra payload was an advantage, but with new powders higher velocities have made the 3" plenty. The 3" guns cycle all the 2 3/4" shells just fine, but I haven't seen a 3 1/2" gun yet that was as reliable when shooting target shells. Plus they're also heavier and to my way of thinking not as well balanced. My youngest bro has one of the Stoegers mentioned above and has been very happy, to the point of planning to sell his SuperX2 3 1/2". Middle bro and I both shoot the 3" SuperX2 and like them. He also has an 11-87 Sporting Clays, very nicely balanced and fits both of us well. My alternate gun is a Citori so I don't always shoot an auto.

Post by 66GTO »

Larkbill wrote:From various guns used by family members and hunting buddies, I would avoid guns chambered for 3 1/2" shells. Quite simply they aren't needed. The 3" shells for waterfowl hunting are all you need these days. When the 3 1/2" came out the extra payload was an advantage, but with new powders higher velocities have made the 3" plenty. The 3" guns cycle all the 2 3/4" shells just fine, but I haven't seen a 3 1/2" gun yet that was as reliable when shooting target shells. Plus they're also heavier and to my way of thinking not as well balanced. My youngest bro has one of the Stoegers mentioned above and has been very happy, to the point of planning to sell his SuperX2 3 1/2". Middle bro and I both shoot the 3" SuperX2 and like them. He also has an 11-87 Sporting Clays, very nicely balanced and fits both of us well. My alternate gun is a Citori so I don't always shoot an auto.
I thought about a 11-87, but with what Remington has done to Marlin quality and the recent safety recall of the 887 for slam fires when the action is racked because the the firing pin is not retracting, I am boycotting Remington.

I don't understand your comments on 3 1/2" shells. The A300 is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3", as I stated in my post.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a 1972 Beretta AL2 ...the great grandfather of the A-300
and a Beretta O/U Sporting Onyx...both in 12 ga....and both great guns...
You will not go wrong with any Beretta, in any model....
My AL-2 has thousands and thousands of rounds through it.....
and not one problem.....
Took it out this past weekend at the skeet range and had a ball!

I also have an 11-87...older model ..early90s....great gun too..
use it for duck and turkey hunting.....never had a problem with it either...
but it is quite heavy.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Most of my hunting buds use an O/U of one brand or another, I like a Browning Superposed myself, but you can't tell a man what shotgun to use any more than you can tell em what type of woman to
Settle down with.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I have a 1972 Beretta AL2 ...the great grandfather of the A-300
and a Beretta O/U Sporting Onyx...both in 12 ga....and both great guns...
You will not go wrong with any Beretta, in any model....
My AL-2 has thousands and thousands of rounds through it.....
and not one problem.....
Took it out this past weekend at the skeet range and had a ball!

I also have an 11-87...older model ..early90s....great gun too..
use it for duck and turkey hunting.....never had a problem with it either...
but it is quite heavy.....
Thanks RIHMFIRE, that's the kind of input I was looking for.

Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"I don't understand your comments on 3 1/2" shells. The A300 is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3", as I stated in my post."

Sorry, I read that on a pretty fast horse, babysitting two VERY active grandkids that day. Then ended up on a couple back to back trips so I've been away from the computer. All my hunting buddies that have Berettas have 3 1/2" guns and swear by them in the most extreme weather. Big thing is if it fits you and shoots where you look. If you can, shoot whatever you want to buy before buying.