Cowboy Levergun Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Cowboy Levergun Silhouette

Post by Griff »

Went to a Cowboy Levergun Silhouette match today. A most humbling experience.

I shot my 1860 Henry in 45 Colt. Load was a 200 grain RFN in front of 5 grains of Clays. This load is approximately equivalent to the loads I shot a couple weeks ago during my accuracy test of five 45 Colt rifles. And it shot accordingly. My misses were close, except in a couple of instances when I knew I pulled the gun off target during the shot... IOWs, my follow-thru sucked! :twisted: But, during the 60 shot match this was only a couple of instances... Also, we weren't quite sure that my bullet was actually making it all the way out to the 100 meter rams! I was striking steel... but where is a big question. The range has a "baffled" overhead, and making holdover problematic with these parabolic trajectory loads on the 100 meter Ram line!

But, when shooting a gun not capable of the precision needed to do well, that was enough to really make my score dismally poor! I have to mention that the guys at the Haltom City Gun Club were really helpful... offering to help with sight suggestions and notes that "...45 Colt isn't really a good choice for this game..." All of which I knew, but... I really wanted to shoot THIS gun. I also need a new prescription for my glasses! They're fine for most activities... but precision shooting isn't among them! :P :P

I had a great spotter... attested by the fact that he was a "Master" class shooter in CLA Pistol Caliber. But, even when I did my job, the fact that the gun (er... I) wasn't capable of holding a fine enough sight picture, meant I had more misses than hits! But... when I did hit... the targets fell over smartly!

I had fun... and will probably return with the EMF Rossi 1892 Short Rifle and a tang sight... maybe even a Lyman 17A front sight! When I break down and buy one... and some slightly hotter loads! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I may drill and tap my 1873 rifle for a tang sight... and use it at some future point. I know I have the skill set to do well, I just need to bring my equipment and loads in line with the requirements of the game.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrentD

Re: Cowboy Levergun Silhouette

Post by BrentD »

I'm not so sure your .45 is all that bad as a pistol caliber silhouette rifle. One of the very best in the game shoots a .44-40 Uberti Henry and has several times cleaned 40-shot matches.

It is not an easy game and I am not very good at it, but it is fun and really the whole reason I stepped into lever rifles. I use a .38-40 for the pistol class and I pretty much suck at it. But I look good tryin'. :)
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

But did you have fun? Sounds like it.

Yes, a match shows up all the little flaws you didn't know where there and don't show up in plinking.

Except when it's cold, I shoot Leveraction silhouette. I use a 94 in 38-55. When I first started I didn't have that rifle and used my Trapper in 45 Colt. Twenty grains of 2400/ 260 grain Keith. Gave me about 1500+ fps.

Our Rams are at 200 yards and those loads have the power to knock 'em down but there is still quite a bit of drop. What were those loads giving you for speed?

The others that I shoot with is really what makes the game fun. What a bunch of good guys. No one takes it seriously, it's all for fun. And fun it is!

Cat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was shooting my regular Cowboy Action loads... probably about 800-825 fps out of the 24-¼" barrel... Yep, they needed speeding up a little... but in the toggle link action I really want to limit them to about 1200 fps; an easy enough proposition. And yes, I did have fun. I find out tomorrow if it was more fun than cowboy action... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I put on NRA Lever Action Silhouette matches for about 4 or 5 years at my local club .

The first year we had a modest but decent turn out . The first year I also ran it as a fun not NRA match . We shot the Big Bore 200 meter course the most but also some of the 100 meter pistol cartridge lever silhouette as well .

The second year my club insisted I run them as NRA Registered matches and it pretty much killed the participation .

The first year when we typically had 10-15 shooters is was right much fun . The later years when I might get one or two shooters it pretty much killed it for me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Griff wrote:I was shooting my regular Cowboy Action loads... probably about 800-825 fps out of the 24-¼" barrel... Yep, they needed speeding up a little... but in the toggle link action I really want to limit them to about 1200 fps; an easy enough proposition. And yes, I did have fun. I find out tomorrow if it was more fun than cowboy action... :P
Yer boolits at 1200 will do just fine , sounds to me like you just need a set of decent sights. I shoot an 1873 in 44-40, aint all that different than your gun, manage to shoot in AAA most of the time.

If it was easy, they'd call if "golf". :lol:
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

6pt-sika wrote: The second year my club insisted I run them as NRA Registered matches and it pretty much killed the participation .

Why? I only shoot NRA registered CLA silhouette and I rather like it a lot. It is a ton of fun.

I'm not much of a fan of matches that are fast and loose with rules and tend make things up as they go.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BrentD wrote:
6pt-sika wrote: The second year my club insisted I run them as NRA Registered matches and it pretty much killed the participation .

Why? I only shoot NRA registered CLA silhouette and I rather like it a lot. It is a ton of fun.

I'm not much of a fan of matches that are fast and loose with rules and tend make things up as they go.
You just answered your "why?". :wink: A lot of people don't like having to play by the rules......

Our club created lever action silhouette back in the 1980's. The NRA came out watched a match then created the "official" game rules......that seem to change every couple of years. :roll:

I'm Master class in smallbore Cowboy class and AAA in smallbore Hunter, PC and BB classes. I haven't competed that much over the last several years due to burnout.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Our club here in Yuma shoots Pistol Caliber and .22 every Friday morning. We average about 30 shooters, some days 35-40. We don't play NRA rules. We don't run the clock, we have no equipment rules other than you have to shoot a .22 at the .22 targets, just shoot what you bring. We don't hand out any prizes or announce anyone's score, there is no first place or last place. We have a grand time.

We have NRA Approved matches once a month, we are lucky to get 8 people out.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:
Griff wrote:I was shooting my regular Cowboy Action loads... probably about 800-825 fps out of the 24-¼" barrel... Yep, they needed speeding up a little... but in the toggle link action I really want to limit them to about 1200 fps; an easy enough proposition. And yes, I did have fun. I find out tomorrow if it was more fun than cowboy action... :P
Yer boolits at 1200 will do just fine , sounds to me like you just need a set of decent sights. I shoot an 1873 in 44-40, aint all that different than your gun, manage to shoot in AAA most of the time.
If it was easy, they'd call if "golf". :lol:
Yeah, I just don't want to mess with the 1860's sights... The 1873 is another story... I might drill it for a Lyman I have in the safe... and then put a 17A front sight on it. And then do another load just for Levergun Silhouette... Interestingly, in looking at .44-40 data for a 200 grain bullet, 5 grains of Clays gets over 100 fps more than it does in a 45Colt case. Maybe I'll chrono mine and see... maybe chrono some of my cowboy BP loads also... They get 28 grains of Goex "Cartridge"...

When I was loading last nite... I found my "Big Blue" (Dillon), tumbler full of 45Colt cases, finished up all the rest of my 'previously-been-fired' miscellaneous cases, then did the last 100 new Starline cases, leaving me with only 150 new Winchester cases to load... until I clean out the tumbler... maybe another 500 cases in there!!! With only another 5-600 loaded rounds... I'M GETTING LOW ON AMMO!!!! :lol: :lol:

jnyork, What you'd really like about this range in Haltom City is that they have resetting targets! Each bank of 5 targets is set up like a falling plate rack, a long nylon cord back to the firing line and you just pull them back up from the bench! No walking downrange, bending over and then trying balance the targets on a rail... They fall over well, even with the guys shooting 40 grain 22Mags.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hoping to try that out this spring.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Relax bro........It's just a game.....I've been doing it for 10-12 years...........and have found that your mind is the key to winning..........any decent open sight rifle will shoot good enough to win......anything else is "in yo head"......................

The targets are big ...it's all a matter of brain control

I've seen the worms win....and the macho guys lose......ITS a head game.

In the end, I tell the guys...We ain't winnin" Cadillacs......enjoy it for what it worth.......then go home!. :D ___________--------the 6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
Relax bro........It's just a game.....I've been doing it for 10-12 years...........and have found that your mind is the key to winning..........any decent open sight rifle will shoot good enough to win......anything else is "in yo head"......................

The targets are big ...it's all a matter of brain control

I've seen the worms win....and the macho guys lose......ITS a head game.

In the end, I tell the guys...We ain't winnin" Cadillacs......enjoy it for what it worth.......then go home!. :D ___________--------the 6
Exactly... I had fun, and at the end of the day... that's what counts! I got to shoot my levergun. But, that 1860 gets HEAVY!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Careful, Griff! Silhouette shooting can get into your blood; believe me, I know! :lol:

I shoot every rifle silhouette discipline there is at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club, and it keeps me very busy, especially in the summer months.

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Griff,
Welcome to the world of NRA Cowboy Silhouette! It certainly is a heap of fun.

Actually, you don't need 1,200 f.p.s. in the .45 Colt for the pistol cartridge category. What one needs is a consistently accurate load and good sight settings and sight picture. After that, as the 6... said, it's in your head or the connection between your brain and trigger finger.

A couple of fellows I know are using 250 gr. bullets in the .45 Colt. One uses 5.8/Trail Boss (800 f.p.s.) and the other, 6.0/Titegroup (1,000 f.p.s.). Both shoot scores in the low 30's (out of 40). One told be that he had tried lighter cast bullets but the accuracy at 100 could not match what the 250's would produce.

You could load those Accurate 45-260F's over 35 grs of Goex FFG which will exit a bit shy of 1,100 f.p.s. and should be very accurate at 100. Not only that, but folks will surely take notice! :mrgreen:

Have fun!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

BrentD,
Are you shooting black powder in your 38-40?

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Topic is interesting to me since I just got the Rossi and my first match is next month. Am I right that for a persons first match whatever he scores is the class he gets? That puts pressure on a guy to do exceptionally well in his first match unless he just enjoys working up from the bottom classes..

I notice in dryfiring daily that some days I am like a granite pillar and can hold very well at the target and then other times I am more wiggly.. Trying to get it all figured out what causes the off days so I can avoid'em. Heavy use of alcohol on previous evening does make me miss some and drinking lot of coffee shortly before shooting messes with the aiming..
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

w30wcf wrote:BrentD,

w30wcf
Not yet, I'm embarrassed to say. But I will be.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Topic is interesting to me since I just got the Rossi and my first match is next month. Am I right that for a persons first match whatever he scores is the class he gets? That puts pressure on a guy to do exceptionally well in his first match unless he just enjoys working up from the bottom classes..
This is true. I know one or two guys in BPCR that shot Master on their first class and have never come close to another master score ever since. I'm crawling up from the bottom on CLA. It's a lot of fun though.

I notice in dryfiring daily that some days I am like a granite pillar and can hold very well at the target and then other times I am more wiggly.. Trying to get it all figured out what causes the off days so I can avoid'em. Heavy use of alcohol on previous evening does make me miss some and drinking lot of coffee shortly before shooting messes with the aiming..
If you ever get it all figured out, please write a book and send me the first copy. Somedays, shooting offhand is so simple and it is almost hard to miss. Others, finding the backstop is a challenge. I have yet to figure it out, but I know it's all in my head. I benefited a lot from reading Lanny Bassham's book on shooting and I'm sure there are others as well.

Brent
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

We don't run the clock, we have no equipment rules other than you have to shoot a .22 at the .22 targets, just shoot what you bring. We don't hand out any prizes or announce anyone's score, there is no first place or last place. We have a grand time
Exactly how we do it. I shot competitively years ago but all I want to do now is shoot and knock over targets.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BrentD wrote:

I suppose you best ask those people who never returned after I was forced to shoot NRA registered only .

To be honest I think a good many of them just didn't want to join the NRA .
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

6pt-sika wrote:
BrentD wrote:

I suppose you best ask those people who never returned after I was forced to shoot NRA registered only .

To be honest I think a good many of them just didn't want to join the NRA .
I and many others like me don't have any choice. My club is NRA all the way.. Well. you have to play the hand that was dealt to you .Very irritating that cant use a rifle that has been re-barreled with aftermarket barrel.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Alphawolf45 wrote: Very irritating that cant use a rifle that has been re-barreled with aftermarket barrel.
It is an odd rule to be sure. And peculiar that it applies only to CLA and no other NRA silhouette competition that I"m aware of. Not really a big deal as you can easly reline one.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

6pt-sika wrote: I suppose you best ask those people who never returned after I was forced to shoot NRA registered only .
I guess I'll never know as I'll never see them.

Their loss though. The NRA nationals competition is a great time and it has lots of folks and is growing a little every year. Fun to see three-generation families at the line for a week of shooting.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:
BrentD wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:The second year my club insisted I run them as NRA Registered matches and it pretty much killed the participation .
...To be honest I think a good many of them just didn't want to join the NRA .
I may be wrong... but I've always understood that you only have to Join the NRA to have your scores recorded and to attend State, Regional or National Championships...
Alphawolf45 wrote:...Very irritating that cant use a rifle that has been re-barreled with aftermarket barrel.
I agree, I have a rebarreled mdl 94 Winchester, it's my most accurate levergun... but that's the very intent of the rule... to keep guys from buying air-gauged barrels and "out-equipping" the "little" guys!
Alphawolf45 wrote:...I notice in dryfiring daily that some days I am like a granite pillar and can hold very well at the target and then other times I am more wiggly.. Trying to get it all figured out what causes the off days so I can avoid'em. Heavy use of alcohol on previous evening does make me miss some and drinking lot of coffee shortly before shooting messes with the aiming..
From my days as a pistol bullseye shooter, my shooting coach... told me to just "...turn the shakes into little circles, and let off the shot as the front sight passed the target... and follow-thru." I've since done that with all my shooting and have never found it to be inaccurate. In fact, I get worried when I'm like a rock...

I stick with caffeine-free diet soda...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Griff,

In my mind as long as it's fun I'll keep going.

Six is right: it's the nut behind the trigger that is by far the biggest factor.

Cat
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Catshooter wrote:But did you have fun? Sounds like it.

Yes, a match shows up all the little flaws you didn't know where there and don't show up in plinking.
Cat
+1
It is not the critic who counts
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It's a fun game and I enjoy it even though I'm pretty hopeless at it.
This week I shot a personal best and a personal worst on the same day.
PB was pistol cal with my 357 and a score of 27/40. Worst was rimfire and I ended up with an 11/40.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gundownunder wrote:It's a fun game and I enjoy it even though I'm pretty hopeless at it.
This week I shot a personal best and a personal worst on the same day.
PB was pistol cal with my 357 and a score of 27/40. Worst was rimfire and I ended up with an 11/40.
Still better'n mine. And no, I ain't tellin'! :twisted: But, knowin' myself I coulda shot a 38 outta 40 and still found need for improvement!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

BrentD wrote:
w30wcf wrote:BrentD,

w30wcf
Not yet, I'm embarrassed to say. But I will be.
Awesome! I was shooting b.p. in my .44-40 at a NRA Cowboy Silhouette match a couple of years ago and after my first 5 rounds, a fellow who looked very concerned for my well being, came up to me and asked me if I blew up my rifle(!). :lol:

I assured him that all was well. :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I ain't quite that adventuresome... YET!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

We have a guy here in our club that pulls .22 rimfire bullets, puts in black powder and puts the bullets back in, has MUCH more patience than I do :shock:

He has an older Marlin model 39 , looks really cool seeing the white smoke coming out of it and the very tiny report. He does alright with it scorewise, and has fun.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

With the exception of Smallbore Standard Class, all the other classes are supposed to be a game of "marksmanship" and not an "equipment" game. This is one of the reasons I stopped shooting Standard class......too many "space guns".

We have a senior Master class shooter, in EVERY class. He proves the point that it's 90% shooter and 10% equipment. He shot a perfect score with an old Marlin 57 and Remington Golden Bullets. He also has about a dozen national records on the books.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I often wonder what it was that Annie Oakley had that let her outshoot everybody else. Eye hand coordination? Far as I know her rifles were standard off the shelf nor did she have sponsors providing specially loaded ammo..
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Alphawolf45 wrote:I often wonder what it was that Annie Oakley had that let her outshoot everybody else.

Confidence
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

While Griff has got us on the subject of Cowboy Levergun Silhouette, some of you might like to know that the 2015 California State Lever Action Silhouette Championships will be June 11-14, hosted at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club east of Burney in the far north of California. This is my home club! :D 8)

I promise the month of June will be a lot warmer than the February in the picture!

For some time the California state matches have been at Pala, way down by San Diego in Southern California, so it will be nice to have them on the north end of the state for a change.
We are awaiting final paperwork from the California Rifle & Pistol Association and the National Rifle Association. Shooter numbers in each discipline by necessity will be limited to about 40. If all goes well, we hope to establish an every-other-year schedule so that people from all areas will have an opportunity to compete on a state level.

If any of you want more details, feel free to contact me by PM.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

BrentD wrote:
Alphawolf45 wrote:I often wonder what it was that Annie Oakley had that let her outshoot everybody else.

Confidence
No I don't believe that.
If confidence alone can succeed then we have no worries for Americas future because Americans are raising hordes of confident youths that have no skills ..---Give that loser a prize to raise his confidence and make him a winner.----doubt that will ever work.. I cant help but doubt that confidence was what gave Little Sure Shot her edge.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

All the shooters that Annie shot against had skills too. But she had more confidence, as does any shooter that wins regularly. They shoot knowing they are going to win.

Shooting is a head game more than anything else.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BrentD wrote:All the shooters that Annie shot against had skills too. But she had more confidence, as does any shooter that wins regularly. They shoot knowing they are going to win.

Shooting is a head game more than anything else.
It's also a frangible skill. If you don't practice/shoot regularly you will see your skill level degrade.
Johnny Moon
Levergunner

Post by Johnny Moon »

So now that you all have gotten this noob interested in Cowboy Levergun Silhouette, how do I find a match? None of the ranges within 4 hours of me in Floridia seem to offer it. Is there a national site or webpage that lists matches, NRA or not? I'm in the Tampa Area.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Mr. Moon,

try this http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-conte ... wnload.pdf

I'm not sure how often it's updated but it's a place to start.

Might be able to find something here. http://www.steelchickens.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Johnny Moon wrote:So now that you all have gotten this noob interested in Cowboy Levergun Silhouette, how do I find a match? None of the ranges within 4 hours of me in Floridia seem to offer it. Is there a national site or webpage that lists matches, NRA or not? I'm in the Tampa Area.
Look starting on page 40 of http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-conte ... wnload.pdf. Closest I see is Hiawassee, GA.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Griff,

For me a well-timed flinch is as good as sound technique :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BrentD wrote:Shooting is a head game more than anything else.
When I shot trap and skeet competitively , once I had attained AA class I felt when you walked out on the field that you needed to believe you were the one others needed to try and beat . You needed to believe you would go 100 straight etc . In essence the only person that can beat you is yourself .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I read an article in Shooting Times maybe 12 or 14 years ago that Venturino wrote about lever action silhouette . That caused me to by a new Marlin 1895CB and several bullet molds . And this and that etc etc .

My desire for the silhouette game has left me as has my intrest in a good many of the cast friendly cartridges . But I still enjoy casting and loading those same cast bullets to kill a few deer each year and to shoot paper at 50 , 100 and 200 yards .
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Which of the silhouettes in Cowboy levergun silhouette are considered the most challenging? The little chickens at 40 yards or ? In the black powder cartridge rifle match that I been shooting the toughest critter is the chicken offhand at 200 yards. But 'course that's a 12 pound rifle...I would guess in Cowboy levergun silhouette that the turkey at 77 yards is generally considered to be the tough one?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Which of the silhouettes in Cowboy levergun silhouette are considered the most challenging? The little chickens at 40 yards or ? In the black powder cartridge rifle match that I been shooting the toughest critter is the chicken offhand at 200 yards. But 'course that's a 12 pound rifle...I would guess in Cowboy levergun silhouette that the turkey at 77 yards is generally considered to be the tough one?
In order, turkeys, chickens , rams , pigs, harder to easier, if there is any such thing. :roll:

YMMV .
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

in NRA-CLA, chickens are at 25 m, Pigs at 50 m, Turkeys at 75 m, and Rams at 100 m for pistol caliber and .22. Rifle cartridge matches are at double those distances.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Here see picture shows the full scale chicken used at 200 meters in BPCR match atop the half scale ram shot at 100 yards in CLA. I like the close targets in Cowboy lever action silhouette b'cause I can see them much clearer than the targets in BPCR.. Old eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

BrentD,

The PC and SB CLA chicken was moved to 40 meters some time ago as some shooters complained of splash-back from the 25 meter targets. The size of the chicken was not increased, however.