Mossberg just gave Ruger some serious competition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Mossberg just gave Ruger some serious competition

Post by Old Ironsights »

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/mossber ... z3PlVeuYFw

I'd be really interested to have a day shooting both rifles...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Mossberg just gave Ruger some serious competition

Post by Blaine »

Those universal mags are going to be popular.....I don't think I'd trade my GunSite Scout on one, but they sure are nice......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would already have one of their MVP's in 223 if I'd have had an income this year. I just like the idea of a lightweight compact 223 rifle in a bolt-action that accepts AR-15 magazines. One in 300 Blk would also be a consideration. 8) However, I didn't have the money, and upon reflection, realized that there was no need for either vs. other firearms I have.

However, one in 308 Win would be sweet... 8)

P.S. any gunmaker that has THIS link on their home page is OK in my book - http://www.nssf.org/gunvote/

Check THIS Mossberg page - http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles ... mvp-series
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The pop up alone was worth clicking on that link. "Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch. HE decides what time it is." :lol: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

They list the weight as 8.75#. That's pretty chunky for a little gun like that.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Semi Bull Barrel.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If they offer it in .260 Rem. , I will be interested.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

BlaineG wrote:Those universal mags are going to be popular.....I don't think I'd trade my GunSite Scout on one, but they sure are nice......
Came so close to buying a Ruger Gunsite Scout last week. The one not having a threaded barrel, and having to remove the rear site to mount a scope in the rearward location swayed me a different direction. Did not really want one in .308 either. The barrel in the action was slightly misaligned, and had a slight mar on the fore stock as well. All that said, I would still take the Ruger and the nice laminate over a Mossberg.

A big x 2 on the .260 as Mescalero mentioned! Even though it would be competing with the 6.5x55.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I may be biased due to owning a GSR, but I don't think Ruger has much to worry about. It has been looked at quite a bit on the scout rifle forum and most share the same opinion.
Also, the GSR is out now with a synthetic stock. This saves another 3/4 pound over the laminate version.......good stuff. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Nothing Moss berg has produced in the last several decades is of any real interest to me.. Sorry, but they just don't get it.. Ref: their "tactard" levergun, for instance..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I agree with the tactard zombie-lever comment, but the "Scout Rifle" concept is sound, and my biggest gripe with the Ruger variant was/is their refusal to design it around universal magazines.

Mossberg met this challenge.

It remains to be seen how well it was implemented, but the concept is sound ad the use of universal mags puts it leagues ahead of the Ruger from the get go.

(FWIW, IMO the 99C with a short barrel is in every practical sense (except a "hi-cap" mag) the ultimate "scout rifle", but then, nobody cares what I think...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:FWIW, IMO the 99C with a short barrel is in every practical sense (except a "hi-cap" mag) the ultimate "scout rifle", but then, nobody cares what I think...
I agree; imagine a compact levergun with a 10-round or 20-round box magazine. The only advantage a bolt gun would have would be from super-prone shooting, if using a small magazine, in that it would sit closer to the ground.

It would be interesting to see two identically-chambered, same length and weight, carbines, where one was a levergun and the other was a bolt action, and see which of two good shooters could hit ten targets faster at 100 yards. I can't imagine that the bolt action would win, even with a good shooter.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The Ruger WAS designed around existing magazines. It uses the AICS pattern magazine used in several bolt action rifles serving in tactical and sniping roles worldwide.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mescalero wrote:If they offer it in .260 Rem. , I will be interested.
Me too. I'm outta the .308 business.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OldWin wrote:The Ruger WAS designed around existing magazines. It uses the AICS pattern magazine used in several bolt action rifles serving in tactical and sniping roles worldwide.
And at $66+ each (Brownells) vs $25-$35 each for M14 mags (also Brownells), WITHOUT the option for 20+rd capacities?

Why would AICS mags be a benefit?

(Frankly, if Mossberg had opted for the HK/CETME mag, it would have been even better... what's not to love about 20rd mags available for <$10?)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Old Ironsights wrote:
OldWin wrote:The Ruger WAS designed around existing magazines. It uses the AICS pattern magazine used in several bolt action rifles serving in tactical and sniping roles worldwide.
And at $66+ each (Brownells) vs $25-$35 each for M14 mags (also Brownells), WITHOUT the option for 20+rd capacities?

Why would AICS mags be a benefit?

(Frankly, if Mossberg had opted for the HK/CETME mag, it would have been even better... what's not to love about 20rd mags available for <$10?)
"Mossberg’s patented Dual Push bolt and patented Dual Latch designs that accept and reliably-feed from both M1A/M14 and AR10-style magazines, a first for bolt-actions!
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

make mine in 7mm-08 with a 8.5x1 twist ... I'd get it :-) 308 nah !!!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The AICS is renowned for being reliable in all conditions.

Ruger, as typical of them, designed for reliability before trying to get the rifle to run on what Joe Ted and Bobby have had stockpiled in their closets for the last 20 years.

Magpul's new P-Mag5 is a $35 (probably will sell for less) AI-compatible magazine.

So you can now feed a Ruger just as cheap, if not cheaper and more reliably, than the Mossberg.

And yes, they're coming out with a 10 round version (the current one is a 5/6 round magazine depending how you want it).
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ruger initially looked at using M14 magazines in the GSR. It wasn't viable for a couple reasons.

1. M14's, being designed as a select fire weapon, and being a 7.62x51 require a very stiff magazine spring. Much stiffer than a bolt action rifle requires. It would have made for a stiff and gritty feeding bolt cycle. Not smooth and quick at all.

2. As I understand it, the angle at which the M14 magazine locates in the action of an M14 caused problems when adapting to a bolt rifle. It doesn't sit straight in like an AR-15/AR-10.

As for the cost, the Ruger polymer 5 & 10 round mags are 35 bucks, as its said the soon to come p-mags will be.

For me personally, Ruger made the right choice, and I own two M1A's and plenty of mags.

I don't think a twenty round mag is an asset in a bolt rifle. Its actually a hinderance as its in the way. A scout rifle is supposed to be "handy". Part of the advantage of a forward optic is being able to carry the rifle around the action. For this reason, I'm not a fan of the ten round mags either.
Truthfully, I'm not a fan of DBM's in a bolt action period. For a scout I prefer a five round internal loaded with stripper clips. This is how my 1903A3 p-scout operates and I find it faster and smoother.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

They had my attention until I got to the part about the 16-1/4" barrel with the birdcage sound amplifier.

Wake me up when a 20" barrel is an option. :roll:

Jack
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

OldWin wrote: I don't think a twenty round mag is an asset in a bolt rifle. Its actually a hinderance as its in the way. A scout rifle is supposed to be "handy". Part of the advantage of a forward optic is being able to carry the rifle around the action. For this reason, I'm not a fan of the ten round mags either.
Truthfully, I'm not a fan of DBM's in a bolt action period. For a scout I prefer a five round internal loaded with stripper clips. This is how my 1903A3 p-scout operates and I find it faster and smoother.
I feel the same way -

I have looked at the Mossberg in 223 thattakes the AR magazines, and it admittedly looks intriguing at first glamce, --- but after giving it a think and looking at the initial accuracy tests, i have to ask
"what the heck does this thing do that any of my AR variants dont do just as well?"

I may look atthe 308 version in a slightly different light - my M1A will lob 'em in at 2 MOA, same as the ruger gsr, - but it is definitely a tad more unwieldy feelingq
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:...i have to ask
"what the heck does this thing do that any of my AR variants dont do just as well?
Allows you to aquire/use AR/Universal mags in a state that has a bias against EBRs...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!