Best way to clean suppressors...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Best way to clean suppressors...?

Post by AJMD429 »

I have three, two come apart and the other is sealed.
  • The dirtiest is the 22 LR one (Thompson Machine Operative) but it comes apart nicely.

The other come-apart can is the LibertyCans Mystic; gets mostly 300 Blk action, but hoping to put it on a 357 Mag levergun someday.

The sealed one is a Gemtech Trek, and it is almost always used on 223 so takes lots of blast but no 'lead' ammo.

How do those of you who own suppressors clean them...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best way to clean suppressors...?

Post by firefuzz »

On my take-a-part .22 LR, TAC65, can I usually try to clean it every 500rds or so by disassembly, soaking the baffles in carb cleaners and scrub with a brass brush, scrub the tube with carb cleaner and a nylon or brass brush, re-assemble with non-seize grease on the threads. Except for the end caps, steel, this can is aluminum and I'm leery of stronger solvents, ammonia, on it.

On my YHM 7.62 SS can I soak it over night in mineral spirits, blow it out and oil the outside, as per factory recommendations. No trash ammo goes down this tube and according to the manufacture it's pretty much self cleaning. YHM will clean them if they get really bad, I assume they take them apart and clean them and re-assemble. There's a homemade solution involving hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, NOT for aluminum cans, they talk about on the suppressor forums, but once it's used it's so poisonous there's no safe way to dispose of it.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I'd have the sealed one jailbraked ( turned into a take-a-part)

I just got in a ultrasonic cleaner just to help with my suppressors,
plan is to do them this week I'll let you know how it works :-)

I'm hoping it will be the cat's meow :-)

tired of scrubbing em clean, carb cleaner works, mine are all
take-a-parts. but scrub scrub scrub ...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I use a automotive style parts washer, it has a pump and seems to clean mine pretty well. Put the pump nozzle into the opening of the suppressor and let it run for half an hour, finish with brake cleaner, then oil lightly.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I put mine, a take apart, into an ultrasonic cleaner from work. I disassemble for cleaning, use the air hose to blow dry reassemble and shoot.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I don't know this from experience but....all the suppressor warn against using an ultrasonic cleaner with aluminum and titanium suppressors due to them possibly pitting or cracking. Never tried it so I don't know, just passing the info along.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Throw them in the cupbourd and forget them! That is my approach :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just don't know... and will probably never find out... my BP loads are probably not conducive to suppressor use... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Turn them around or maybe shoot real quiet ammo through them?