And........ ANOTHER One Bites The Dust !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

And........ ANOTHER One Bites The Dust !

Post by Pete44ru »

A post elsewhere, from a board member who works at Remington, this morning....

"Production just had a meeting, and was told that all orders were cancelled and H&R is officially closed.
I will still be doing repairs until I run out of parts.
If you call H&R please do not mention my name. I could get into trouble.
I just had to give all my online friends here the news."

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: And........ ANOTHER One Bites The Dust !

Post by Griff »

Not surprising. But, sad for those losing their jobs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's what the Americans get for buying Italian and South American junk. Wait until the fallout comes from Americans buying Chinese trash.------that one will be really interesting. Glad I saved my money and paid my debts off.
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah - China might foreclose on the USA's debt................ :roll:

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

It is interesting to note that many of the gun makers that Cerberus bought have been sucked dry and the money redistributed to top corporate officials and shareholders.
And people wonder why I have a bad attitude. :x

Jack
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jhrosier wrote:It is interesting to note that many of the gun makers that Cerberus bought have been sucked dry and the money redistributed to top corporate officials and shareholders.

Jack
Kinda what I was thinking. H&R single shots are very accurate and cost less than a barrel for an Encore. Such a shame to see them shut it down. Not likely to sell it and have a competitor use the brand I bet.... :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is to bad, there is a need for entry level American made guns to start new shooters on. So now my H&R 20 ga that cost $105 new will be an instant collector item?
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Griff wrote:Not surprising. But, sad for those losing their jobs.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Wow, that is surprising news. I didn't think gun manufacturers were on hard times. I've mentioned before, I was once issued and M16A1 that had a 2 stamped over the 1 and was manufactured by H&R, which at that time in my mind was basically Marlin, so to me I had a Marlin M16 :D . No one in my unit understood why I found that so cool, and why I was so proud of it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Dang that's to bad, I have a Handi rifle with a 223 & 243 bbl. both are tack drivers
and bad medicine on PDs & coyotes, makes me wish id kept the other H&Rs I've had in the last 45 years, did the Rossi 3 bbl. set eat there lunch?

ollogger
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I also regret the cessation of production of Handi rifles. At present I own a 45/70 and a 12 gauge. I grew up using a model 148 Topper in 16 gauge.
ollogger,having owned one of the Rossi "Trifecta"tri barrel sets I can say that the .243 barrel's lack of accuracy due to bad chamber makes the whole set totally useless. I sold it real quick.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yes too bad. I have 2 barrels for mine, .223 and 30-30, both more accurate than me (the .223 barrel is how I learned about the different between .223 and 5.56, about '88). One thing I noticed though, in the last several years I have not seen any Handi-Rifles in a store. Just the one I found 22 Years ago. But I have seen the Rossi single shots. Seems like no effort has been made to market the Handi-Rifle...

But, the American way is if a product does not reach a certain profit percentage the first reaction is to dump it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

This all might be part of the grand plan. Combine them under one roof and one by one pull the plug on them.

^
Most people know H&R made M1's and M14's, but are unfamiliar with the M16's.

Slow is just slow.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There have been rumors for quite a while about this. I guess it will be easier to clean up the safe now that I have more collector's items.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sad news, I bought a Hornet to get a Hornet with a 9" twist to try heavier bullets at mid range velocity. Glad I did now.

When I was a kid there was a thriving gun industry in Canada. It is almost all gone now due to regulations and easy access to the US market. Well now we have no domestic industry and the USA almost closed the door to a real ally.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I was thinking of this just the other day. When I was young you had three or more companies that made single shot shotguns of good quality. I had a Stevens 94 12 ga with a store brand poly choke that cost about 50.00 new.
I also was thinking that George Soros was or is a leading stockholder in the owners of these gun businesses and an anti. Why wouldn't he gut them and profit on their downfall. It wouldn't be the first time he has done such a thing.
But the American businessmen may just step up and fill the void if there is a profit to be made. I know a good single like a Topper deluxe with a screw in choke seems like it would be a joy to play with again and a single was a good starting gun for me.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

jhrosier wrote:It is interesting to note that many of the gun makers that Cerberus bought have been sucked dry and the money redistributed to top corporate officials and shareholders.

Jack
+1
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

cas wrote:This all might be part of the grand plan. Combine them under one roof and one by one pull the plug on them.

^

I did mention earlier in this thread that I was issued one of those with a 2 stamped over the 1. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sad to see a classic company go, but look how many car manufacturers are gone in the U.S. vs. 75 years ago.

At least in the firearms industry we have lots of NEW companies spring up every decade.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Unfortunately I'm afraid it was a profit thing. Lets face it, many of us like the H&R (and NEF) guns, but we're hardly the main stream gun buyers that manufacturers are chasing for profits. I hope someone is able to snap up the tooling and rights to make these. I've owned several plus a Rossi Wizard in .44 mag. The Rossi was an impulse purchase due to the price, haven't shot it enough to determine whether it was a bargain or not. Would much rather have an H&R but I rarely saw them on the local racks.

My first H&R was actually a repeater. A bolt action 12 ga that I killed quite a few ducks, geese, rabbits and squirrels. It finally became dangerous, wouldn't stay cocked and had to be retired. Parts and labor to repair were three times what it cost new.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

sore shoulder wrote:
cas wrote:This all might be part of the grand plan. Combine them under one roof and one by one pull the plug on them.

I did mention earlier in this thread that I was issued one of those with a 2 stamped over the 1. :D
I cleaned (what seemed like) a zillion of them at the armory at MCRD San Diego. Five times each! I was trying to remember this the other day....there were 3 prevalent manufacturers I saw then....Colt, H&R, and I can't remember the 3rd, but it was not a company I would normally connect with ARs (I was 19 and uneducated then, so it may be a "Duh" company) Was it GM?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hydra-matic Division of GM
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.