Pressure Warning DuPont #80 - fm E Keith

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Pressure Warning DuPont #80 - fm E Keith

Post by JohndeFresno »

I revisited an interesting thread by Sixgun, "Shooting Elmer Keith's Old #80 Powder", found here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=17878

I am currently reading the early classic by Elmer Keith, "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads," and came across this bit of information (my bold type):
"The .44-40 case is so big that for all really heavy loads either #80 or #2400 are the best powders. The #80 is very sensitive and increases pressures, due to drying out of moisture content when stored for any length of time. This is not nearly as good a powder as Hercules #2400 for any big revolver case in realy worth while, powerful, hand loads."

I cannot cite the precise page where this is found, since I downloaded the book for my Kindle reader, but it is toward the end of Chapter 2, "Handgun Cartridges and their Capabilities."

For what it's worth, if anyone still has that old yellow stuff. Apparently, it won't perform the same as in Elmer's day, and I thought that a pressure warning might be appropriate here.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Pressure Warning DuPont #80 - fm E Keith

Post by arjunky »

That powder was a little before my time. :D
Never had any or seen any.
I did come across 10lbs if Norma 205 that I haven't had a chance to load yet. No idea how old that is either.
Byron
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pressure Warning DuPont #80 - fm E Keith

Post by JohndeFresno »

arjunky wrote:That powder was a little before my time. :D
Never had any or seen any.
I did come across 10lbs if Norma 205 that I haven't had a chance to load yet. No idea how old that is either.
Byron
LoadData.com shows loads for this powder, for starters. Of course, the proviso is that one needs to cross-check that against other sources, added onto your consideration of the stability of that powder. I know nothing about it, or any Norma powder for that matter. Perhaps others here can chime in.