Comedy Central on Stolen Valor- FUNNY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Comedy Central on Stolen Valor- FUNNY

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Comedy Central on Stolen Valor- FUNNY

Post by gamekeeper »

I love the Red Coat spy.… :lol:
I guess wearing military surplus is one thing but actually impersonating a member of the military is pretty low. :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thats funny ! :lol: :lol: --- My best friend is from my Army unit and now lives maybe 15 miles from me -- we get together for coffee from time to time --- All kinds of things get talked about ------

We were speaking of the large framed veteran be-rating the homeless pan handler yelling "Take off my uniform!" etc etc in the middle of the street -- there is a short clip of it in this skit also, but a much longer video elsewhere , -- and also speaking of "Stolen Valor" in general

As vets from the Desert Storm/Somalia/Bosnia era , we both were shaking our heads at this newish phenomenon of the younger generation of vets -- (Notice how most of the people doing the filming and be-rating are younger guys who are 30ish at the most?)

He (my buddy) made the statement that -- "I fought to defend that guy too, even if he chooses to wear a costume all day" -
-- We discussed and agreed that rather than humiliating somebody like that in a public place and venue, - if we ever got the chance, we'd rather try to get that person some help, because they most likely have some deep self esteem and mental issues for the most part.

There are the occasional cases where people are legitimately trying to curry special favor or privilege, - or be looked upon as some kind of "expert" , or even do local politicking with dubious military records --- these guys' can be crucified in the court of public opinion for all i care

Others? Like the chubby schlubs in the video who didnt know where to put their combat patch or were trying to get a 15% discount at Starbucks? --- offer 'em some help if your in a position to do so. It must be like hell on earth to be so displeased with your own identity and self worth that you need to dress in surplus gear to validate yourself

We hear things at gunshows all the time too -- people remarking about their "black ops" backgrounds and things all the time , both sellers and patrons ---

I recall somebody who was trying to sell AR-15 parts at a gunshow, years ago going on and on and on about "hunter-killer" missions and drug busts in Honduras when he was in an A-team ----- i quietly pulled a SERE school challenge coin out of my wallet that i used to carry around and showed it to him. HE stared at it blankly for about 3 seconds - long enough that i knew he had no clue what it was , then i told him what it was . "Oh yeah! - I remember those! I didnt keep mine." was the response and then he kept prattling on.
I then locked it down and moved on -- i decided it wasn't worth any more of my time listening to this mentally ill person going on and on

(For those not familiar with challenge coins -- they are given out for a wide variety of schools, operations, or exercises and are used both by the military and civil service (fire departments, etc) -- they are not official medals , - but anybody who was in a "Sneaky Pete Hunter killer" unit should have had a shoebox full of 'em -- :lol: )
----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I enjoyed the Red Coat the best as well. Personally, I don't consider someone simply putting on the uniform to be committing STOLEN VALOR. I also cringe to see veterans that want to loud talk and shame the offender.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I enjoyed the Red Coat the best as well. Personally, I don't consider someone simply putting on the uniform to be committing STOLEN VALOR. I also cringe to see veterans that want to loud talk and shame the offender.
I live close to an Air Force base now -- the pawn shops outside the base, and the little surplus stores that crop up have all manner of genuine US military kit from all branches --sometimes someone just needs a $5 jacket or pair of pants to keep warm and decent
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's the intent.

Military Surplus is durable. Some of the best stuff you can get for pennies on the dollar at Thrift.

But you take off the patches.

You don't wear Name Tape.

You don't ask for free anything because of the uniform.

The Theft doesn't come from the Uniform, it comes from the Pretense.

And anyone who attempts Pretense whilst wearing a uniform never issued to them needs to be shamed.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:I love the Red Coat spy.… :lol:
I guess wearing military surplus is one thing but actually impersonating a member of the military is pretty low. :evil:
+1 - both counts.

To me, wearing one-piece of BDU's - like the pants - is nothing different than people wearing their favorite sports teams jersey. You have your heroes, I have mine (mine just happen to be real). Wearing more than one piece though makes you a wannabe...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:It's the intent.

Military Surplus is durable. Some of the best stuff you can get for pennies on the dollar at Thrift.

And anyone who attempts Pretense whilst wearing a uniform never issued to them needs to be shamed.
Well put!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I agree. I like wearing Girl Scout uniforms, but I don't wear the merit badges if I didn't earn them! The uniforms are super comfortable, and they blend in well in the woods.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:

Well put!
I don't like to see the posers, either.... It's kind of sad.... By the way, I'm pretty hefty now a days, but if I have on a well tailored military uniforms, it's perfectly legal, so don't go by if he/she is chubby :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

Well put!
I don't like to see the posers, either.... It's kind of sad.... By the way, I'm pretty hefty now a days, but if I have on a well tailored military uniforms, it's perfectly legal, so don't go by if he/she is chubby :lol: :lol:

With the "relaxed standards" i've seen some local National Guard troops employing regarding height/weight compliance --- being chubby may not be a good indicator of a poseur at all -- :lol:
----- Doug
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I’m glad that our latest generation are taking a proactive public approach in shaming those who pretend to be true warriors. Not only does it send a very clear message to others who may want to play dress-up, but, it also gives notice to the “counter culture” types that spitting on and calling America’s brave men and women “baby killers” will NOT be tolerated. That today’s warriors will not let pot smoking cowards demean the service and sacrifice that they and others had given.

The disgusting way that many of our returning Veterans were treated during that time, can never be repeated.

Personally I believe that the US Military is the noblest profession we have in this country. Anybody who demeans or brings disrespect upon this profession, should be publicly humiliated. Seeing a fat slob in a military uniform certainly brings disrespect upon the institution.

I did 20+ years in the Army, both as an enlisted guy, and an officer (retired Field Grade). About half of my career was in Army Special Forces. Since retirement, the only piece of uniform that I have put on is an old worn out pair of jungle boots when I do some farm work, there’s a lot more suitable clothing out there than a military uniform.

What the heck is a SERE challenge coin???? There’s a coin for going thru a school? I only have two coins: one says 5th SFG(A) and one with 7th SFG(A), for being part of a Regiment, not from a school.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mike Hunter wrote:I’m glad that our latest generation are taking a proactive public approach in shaming those who pretend to be true warriors. Not only does it send a very clear message to others who may want to play dress-up, but, it also gives notice to the “counter culture” types that spitting on and calling America’s brave men and women “baby killers” will NOT be tolerated. That today’s warriors will not let pot smoking cowards demean the service and sacrifice that they and others had given.

The disgusting way that many of our returning Veterans were treated during that time, can never be repeated.

Personally I believe that the US Military is the noblest profession we have in this country. Anybody who demeans or brings disrespect upon this profession, should be publicly humiliated. Seeing a fat slob in a military uniform certainly brings disrespect upon the institution.

I did 20+ years in the Army, both as an enlisted guy, and an officer (retired Field Grade). About half of my career was in Army Special Forces. Since retirement, the only piece of uniform that I have put on is an old worn out pair of jungle boots when I do some farm work, there’s a lot more suitable clothing out there than a military uniform.

What the heck is a SERE challenge coin???? There’s a coin for going thru a school? I only have two coins: one says 5th SFG(A) and one with 7th SFG(A), for being part of a Regiment, not from a school.

The younger generation is making themselves out to be loudmouth idiots, much like the open carry brigade ---

Regarding someone wearing a military uniform around -- my buddy Bill said it best when he said, -
"I served to defend that guy too " even if the person makes ill advised choices --- most of these guys are mentally ill with deep self esteem issues and no sense of self worth.
If they want to pretend to be me (or someone i was 20 years ago) - more power to 'em . Someone's masquerade does not diminish what i have done in the least (Just my humble opinion and your mileage may vary )

Challenge coins may not have been as common an occurence in your era as mine --- here's a couple of examples . Not a medal per se' , just a token of appreciation i guess, or like a completion certificate, if you will ---- I have them from schools, training exercises, deployments etc.

----- Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Unless a person is using their false veterans status to get monetary or medical benefits, who cares? A free cup of coffee? A theft is theft, and a lie is a lie.

If you're not a motivational speaker, swapping lies with your old team-mates down at the Globe-and-Anchor, or in a PTSD support group, pounding your chest lacks dignity.

Veterans have a right to take pride in their accomplishments, but many make too much of their service. Men do their DUTY. Thanks. Why do people think that they deserve special treatment just for doing what any man should do? (And no, I am not referring to those brave men who come home from war and REQUIRE more.)

It's my opinion that "stolen valor" loudmouths have just as many low self-esteem issues as the yo-yos who feel the need to play dress up. Truth is, I think that they are an embarrassment to the veteran community. Outing thieves is one thing, harassing bums, street freaks, and kids is another.

I sometimes wear surplus military fatigues or use surplus military gear while hunting. It's clothing that provides an appropriate camouflage and concealment in the woods, takes dirt, blood, and wears well. I've been the object of some kidding because of it.

That's fine. If you think it's odd, I don't really care. It works for me.

If you don't like it, FU.

... and I mean that in a friendly there-it-is kinda way.

:| :wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

FW -thought I would give give your post above due respect as I read it, however you lost me with those three little so current 'PC" words, ...low self-esteem! Seems you may be more co-opted and in vogue than you realize. Whatever the h--- happened to the concept of "self-respect". Are THOSE two words deep in the recess of your vocabulary vault, or have you deep-sixed them in favor of the "self esteem" term. One that requires others to see to it that another person is nurtured, coddled and massaged to assist in securing personal "esteem" for the recipient? In my opinion that ain't working so well in our culture today.

Guess I'm more of a relic of a past time in our history than I'm willing to admit. My folks made sure I knew what was important for me, our family and others. That was to accept personal responsibility for my actions, deeds and dealings in life all of which leads to a healthy self respect. No one made me what I am today, for better or for worse, except me. Even confessing that I sometimes find myself shifting blame to others for my failings in life, I understand with whom the responsibility ultimately lies.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

GoatGuy wrote:FW -thought I would give give your post above due respect as I read it, however you lost me with those three little so current 'PC" words, ...low self-esteem! Seems you may be more co-opted and in vogue than you realize. Whatever the h--- happened to the concept of "self-respect". Are THOSE two words deep in the recess of your vocabulary vault, or have you deep-sixed them in favor of the "self esteem" term. One that requires others to see to it that another person is nurtured, coddled and massaged to assist in securing personal "esteem" for the recipient? In my opinion that ain't working so well in our culture today.

Guess I'm more of a relic of a past time in our history than I'm willing to admit. My folks made sure I knew what was important for me, our family and others. That was to accept personal responsibility for my actions, deeds and dealings in life all of which leads to a healthy self respect. No one made me what I am today, for better or for worse, except me. Even confessing that I sometimes find myself shifting blame to others for my failings in life, I understand with whom the responsibility ultimately lies.
OK... the terminology was used in an earlier post, yet you choose to take me to task for moving the conversation down that line.

Whatever.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

FWiedner wrote:
GoatGuy wrote:FW -thought I would give give your post above due respect as I read it, however you lost me with those three little so current 'PC" words, ...low self-esteem! Seems you may be more co-opted and in vogue than you realize. Whatever the h--- happened to the concept of "self-respect". Are THOSE two words deep in the recess of your vocabulary vault, or have you deep-sixed them in favor of the "self esteem" term. One that requires others to see to it that another person is nurtured, coddled and massaged to assist in securing personal "esteem" for the recipient? In my opinion that ain't working so well in our culture today.

OK... the terminology was used in an earlier post, yet you choose to take me to task for moving the conversation down that line.

Whatever.

:roll:
Gee, I suppose I should take personal responsibility in not noting you were merely "moving the conversation down that line". Guess I will. Wow, now I've regained my self respect. Thanks for the help. However, I am surprised you of all people didn't take the earlier poster to task for use of that "self esteem" claptrap.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

LOL -- I did that -- (the self esteem vs self respect terminology) ---

--- I look at them as six one, half a dozen the other those terms -----

I worry a bit about a segment of a generation who wakes up one day and thinks in general --- "Boy - I am now 37 years old and have worked in a cubicle since i was 22 -- i have never realized my dreams, met my fears head on, or loved and lost like men used to" -----
We are focused on Stolen valor in this thread -- but there are other things - guys that dress up as policeman, - masquerade as firemen, other things ---

---- We are running the gamut of things that little boys say to their teacher that they want to be when they grow up --- Firemen, Soldiers, Police, Fighter pilots , Baseball players, (almost any sport, really and you will hear guys' pontificating about their time in the minors or "college ball" something ). brushes with greatness (and these charades may hold up for a while with an uneducated few, but it doesnt take much dialogue between an ex-soldier and a pretender to start finding cracks in the story --- or things you cant look up on the internet, you have to be there ---- The same with the rest of those charades i mentioned

Sure , there have always been Walter Mitty's out there (neat movie BTW) - but maybe the YouTube generation and a generally more educated younger set is exposing these folks more and more ?

As for me -- and speaking as a veteran myself , ------ i dont care much until someone is trying to curry favor or reach positions of influence due to an imaginary vet status ---- Vets themselves are some of the biggest perpetrators of this as well ! ---
There was a high ranking enlisted man not too long ago (I think it was a SGM ) who was busted for doctoring his DD 214 with bogus awards and things like that --

The guy was a Sergeant Major ! -- In my eyes, he had nothing to prove to anybody regardless of his MOS ! -- He had been there, done that and got the T shirt probably a few times over just to attain the rank --- its a shame somebody cant be satisfied with a great career already and thinks they have to pump it up a bit

--- Reminds me a bit of Barry Bonds, who was a HAll of Famer, reportedly before he decided to pump in the HGH to compete with McGuire and Sosa, the steroid boys -- again - nothing to accomplish but pride enhancement

-------------------

A personal example for me is a guy who works at a local gun range --- he is old enough to be Vietnam era -- wears a scrambled eggs cap everyday with miscellaneous Special Forces logos on it --along with a photographers vest/
He is quick to mention his SF accolades and the guys' that work with him treat him with reverence ---- he has bragged to me that under the vest, he is typically carrying at least 5 guns -- then he pulled them all out to show me how easy he could conceal them

My thoughts? -- I dont know any SF'ers who feel the need to advertise with scrambled eggs caps 40 years after the fact (or 20, 15 etc) - much less carry 5 pistols at once ---- The old guy knows the lingo, so likely he is a legitimate veteran , -- and maybe served in a front line 11b unit (or not) -- but he is a bit quick with all his speak of "A teams " and "Fire missions" that i question a bit

But --------- I dont question the guy in his shop -- i could care less -- his potential masquerade does not enrich , or cheapen my life. He has a little fiefdom at the gun range of guys who think he is the tops -- he is Vietnam era in age , -- after that, I dont care - and he's a fun guy to talk guns with, as he is most assuredly up on the current literature :lol: I dont really want to see the guys' DD 214 --- im thinking it would confirm my suspicions --- But...... who knows , maybe i would be pleasantly surprised

But i feel sorry for this man in a way ---- his military years are long past him and still he lives it everyday - A goofy cap and 6 guns hidden under a vest everyday as he spouts off about Tonkin Raiders , and chasing people down tunnels to anyone who will listen

I'm thinking most of the vets out there have plenty of experiences that are still sharp enough we can rattle off fine details at will - places, people etc., but after a few years have gone by, we are much more likely to be seen griping about the weather , the lawn, or bragging about our spouse or kids than dredging up old dirt (At least thats me and how i feel --- and probably why i dont care at all if some bum at the street corner is wearing a field jacket and holding up a sign that says "Veteran - please help !" )
----- Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

GoatGuy wrote:Gee, I suppose I should take personal responsibility in not noting you were merely "moving the conversation down that line". Guess I will. Wow, now I've regained my self respect. Thanks for the help. However, I am surprised you of all people didn't take the earlier poster to task for use of that "self esteem" claptrap.
Self-respect is what one gains from facing, overcoming, and learning real-life lessons from true adversity.

Self-esteem is what one gains from receiving patronizing praise for expending slight effort.

So as not to damage your self-esteem, I'll congratulate you on your self-proclaimed mastery of identifying misapplied PC grammar.

Well done. Well done.

:lol:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have to admit, I've struggled with my feelings about this topic... and have typed out several (ok, 2 or 3) responses, then erased 'em... as just what do I have to contribute? I've run the gamut from angry to just plain sad. And it's really the nature and otherwise character of the person that's doin' the bragging the really determines a fitting reaction.

Then I got to thinking about one particular medal on my DD214... which I recently learned I've named incorrectly on many, many occasions... unknowingly, I'm guessing that we were put in for one, and received another, both being "Unit Commendation" medals, just the issuer differs. Now, I read on our unit's "official" website on Facebook... where there are guys saying we weren't awarded that medal. That post is what caused me to go look at my DD214. I didn't contest that poster's contention... as my DD214 doesn't say where I was assigned when issued, but... if one looks at the sequence of entries, it's clear it's one of the last I received before separation... indicating that it was for that last duty assignment. But, whatever, I have that medal... handed me by our CO, I actually got to read the full citation, and now, 40 years later, here are guys saying it's bogus... THAT to me, is stolen valor. Or attempted theft, anyway! :evil:

I guess, I probably haven't gone ahead and officially inquired about the issue, as what would it make me if I found out it was rescinded? And, am not sure just how to go about it.

As for names, places and such... I remember some of our nicknames for places, and some of the guys from my last command, but the first two, not so much. But, then... who wants to remember nearly a year spent in near-exile on some inhumane god-forsaken island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:I have to admit, I've struggled with my feelings about this topic... ------
I've run the gamut from angry to just plain sad. And it's really the nature and otherwise character of the person that's doin' the bragging the really determines a fitting reaction.

:

I understand this sentiment exactly
----- Doug