What's up with Sizing Wax? Failed me.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

What's up with Sizing Wax? Failed me.

Post by JohndeFresno »

Today, it was time to reload some .223 Remington cartridges.

Eighty cases were all tumbled and decapped. Stored for a long time, I didn't remember if I used a universal decapper, so sizing was required.

Having heard so much about the economy, efficiency and ease of use of sizing wax, I carefully applied a light but thorough coat of Hornady One Shot Sizing wax on and around a few cases, per instructions from various sources. Not too much.

The first two cases didn't seem to go as smoothly as I had remembered they should, but I reasoned that I might not have remembered how much resistance is encountered with resizing the .223 case.

The third round got stuck solidly in my Lee die. Removing the decapping rod nut and pounding the decapper pin,as you can do with Lee dies but at the expense of the rod, did nothing. After much work, I finally removed the case, but mangled the bottom of the case. The rod never came out, so I threw it away - decapping rod and pin and mangled case.

Since I could still use the sizer die without the decapping function for these cases, I went back to my RCBS Case Lube-2 liquid sizing stuff as always.

Applying it it in a light zigzag on the green sponge rubber RCBS lube pad only twice during the operation, I rolled the 80 shells across the green rubber RCBS Case Lubricating pad, maybe 10 at a time, just a few minutes. Quick, easy, and no dimples from overloading the lube or problems with stuck cases.

So what am I missing? Why do so many folks - no, why does ANYBODY - prefer the wax method over a good quality liquid or spray lube? It sure didn't work for me.

Faithfully submitted,
Handloader Stuck with Two Tins of Hornady Sizing Wax
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What's up with Sizing Wax? Failed me.

Post by wolfdog »

Never had a problem using Wax(imperial), but then again I never had a problem with sprays or aerosols either.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Unknown...... I have been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax for 30 years without issue. Some of the most nail blighting resizing I have ever done was with .223/5.56 brass. I use an RCBS small base die set for them and have yet to stick a case but some of them are scary tight.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

John, I'm probably doing it wrong but I've had the same results with Hornady One Shot and Cabela's spray lube. The old tried and true RCBS pad works every time and I can palpate each case for imperfections. Hopefully someone will enlighten us to what we're doing wrong, rather than just saying they have no problems with it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've used one shot spray lube. Wait till it's dry before sizeing and it works pretty good. Like imperial wax better. Never a problem with imperial.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Was any of that brass range pickups? There are many factors involved. Any suggestions can only be WAG's without hands on inspection. Of course it could not possibly a problem with the Lee die now could it?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Was any of that brass range pickups? There are many factors involved. Any suggestions can only be WAG's without hands on inspection. Of course it could not possibly a problem with the Lee die now could it?
Chuck, this is all Winchester brass, purchased commercially and once fired, that family members then collected and gave to me.

I loaded the same batch with the RCBS liquid case lube, rolled on from a pad, immediately after the incident and had no problems with the remaining 77 rounds.

Since I rolled that wax quickly (lightly) but completely around the cases, my only guess is that you have to put a goodly amount of wax on each case, which to me seems like an awful timely affair.

As posted above, perhaps the diminutive .223 is the more problematic of the rifle rounds. However, I note that I have previously loaded exactly 508 .223 rounds using various brass brands, never with a serious jam. But I was always using the RCBS liquid lube.

I do keep my dies pretty clean with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Curious. Imperial Wax has been my go to lube particularly for forming from one caliber to another. RCBS lube such a
poor performer that I threw my bottle out. The Hornady One Shot has worked very well and is what I use for large
batches of cases. Just my experiences ....YMMV.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've stuck cases in lots of calibers and different brands of dies and had friends and even strangers bring their die to me to get the stuck case out. I've seen the rim pulled off from sticking the expander plug. Mostly I use straight STP for case lube, especially on 06 to 270 or some such. But don't forget to lube the inside of the necks with Motor Mica or superfine graphite.

I do use whatever spray lube is on special for my 44-40s. I know people who don't lube them but the cases and even dies end up scratched when you do this.

If you have old trucks or tractors, (like I do) and run STP in them, just drain the container(s) into a wide mouth pint jar. Tilt the jar so some sticks to the side and barely touch a finger to it. Wipe this tiny amount around the entire case and size it. It's real easy to get too much and dimple the shoulder so be careful.

Sometimes you need to clean your dies with carb cleaner and compressed air to get the old dust and lube out.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have used the RCBS pad and lube for many, many years... always able to size efficiently and only occasional over lubing... Tried the "OneShot" spray and stuck cases... Then, on the recommendation of some folks here, got some "Royal" Spray Lube... and, back to no problems.
Last edited by Griff on Fri May 08, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Hornady wax works best for me when I put it on every third case in .243, 7mm-08, .270, and .30-06, but it needs every other case in .45-70 for some reason. I use a Q-tip and put a little inside the case mouth, and use my fingers to put it on the neck and the upper third of the case. So far, the only case I have ever stuck was a .480 Ruger in a non carbide pistol die when I didn't send a lubed case in first. I haven't used a lube pad, but I will give it a try. I lube every other case in .30-30.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

RCBS CaseLube on a pad seems to work well for several others here.

The objection about liquid lube seems to be about messy hands, which to me is no different than having a little liquid soap on one's hands, easily washed off. Or perhaps that one doesn't have to clean the brass again.

I just wipe them off with a paper towel.

Perhaps one needs to apply a bit more wax on each hull than just a light wipe. That being the case, doesn't it take longer to wax each casing properly than to just roll a group of them and put up with "messy" hands?

Or is it all about saving money with the wax option?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Been reloading for quite a few years. First I used CH lube on a pad and when it got scarce switched to RCBS on a pad. I also use Imperial wax from time to time. I have never have a lube related problem when reloading.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Charles wrote:Been reloading for quite a few years. First I used CH lube on a pad and when it got scarce switched to RCBS on a pad. I also use Imperial wax from time to time. I have never have a lube related problem when reloading.
Which is better, then, Charles? And why? Why use wax at all if you like the lube on a pad?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use a verrrry light coating of the wax. I swipe my finger across the top of the wax cake and that is enough to lube several cases. When resizing dificult brass like the.223 or some of the belted magnums,I will lube every case just before running them into the die. For easier to resize cases like .45 Colt,ACP,or .30-30 's that were fired in my gun, I lube every third to fifth case, depending.
My RCBS lube pad was thrown in the trash many years ago. I also have a couple bottles of spray case lubes that have sat on the shelf for years without use. The Imperial is handy and the one that is used in my shop.
Different strokes for different folks,as they say. Have fun!!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Chuck. Mebbie I waxed too much. Will experiment - v-e-r-r-y carefully, inching the die a bit at a time - and see if that was the problem. I really want to know what the problem was, and if there is a quicker, easier way to lube I'm all for it. When I discover what went wrong, I'll report back.

OK, Reporting back! See:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=64219

(Edited 9-21-2015)