How about a thread on your combination guns and drillings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

How about a thread on your combination guns and drillings

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm considering the purchase of either a combo gun or a drilling. Due to their general expense and design for utility, I'm considering the shotgun barrel in 20, 16 or 12, the rifle in a cartridge around the functionality of 30-06. The drillings on the top of my consideration list at this time are 16/16/30-06, or 12/12/8mm. the combo guns have been 20, or 16 bore, with 9.3 x72r, or 9.3x74, 8mm, or 7x57. i'm favoring the 16 bore/ 9.3x74 currently. Thoughts? I have seen one or two in shotgun/30-30 also which I thought was interesting. thanks for your thoughts.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How about a thread on your combination guns and drilling

Post by Pete44ru »

About 25 years ago, I had & hunted with a Sauer & Sohn 16/16/7x57R drilling, for a few years, that worked out pretty well on every game animal/bird that I had access to, here in New England.

There was some small difficulty at first, in procuring the 7x57R (rimmed) ammo, but I was fortunate enough to run across enough at a funshow to last me several years.

It cost me $1600, back then - and it schooled me in buying a used drilling.

You see, the reason it was "only" $1600 was that I was too ignorant to give it the checkout I should have.

It had a slight rib separation under the aftermarket-attached rear scope base, that I never noted ( a no-no, since rib repairs can easily cost more than the gun).

(evidently, due to the 3rd bbl being firmly soldered to the SxS bbls, drillings apparently don't respond to a "ringing" of the barrels like a SxS does)

I used it for a few years, then moved it on to a funshow dealer I knew, who bought it for the same $$$ that I paid for it.

I had made him aware of the rib issue, but he readily bought it anyway - probably because he had a gunsmith for it, and usually charged very high prices (surprise, surprise) for everything he has on his GS table(s).

The moral of the story, Mike, is: NEVER buy a used drilling (and maybe a Cape gun also) w/o a detailed, hands-on inspection by a someone that's knowedgeable about the species, if you aren't.

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a combination gun and after a lot of research and reading reviews I decided to try one of the models made by Baikal. I opted for the 12 gauge over .308.It is also available in two other rifles calibers , these being 30-06 and .223.
I am very satisfied with the performance and accuracy of this gun. The iron sights are just plain rudimentary but that was not a consideration since I planned on and used a long eye relief variable scope.
You can find a lot of info and videos on these on You Tube.
For about $700 retail for the gun I feel I got what I wanted although I got it for dealer cost.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

How much are you looking to spend Mike?

I have a 100y/o 16x16/9.3x72R hammer gun - with dies, brass & molds for the rifle - that I've been debating on selling/needs a home where it will get shot more than I have been able to. Last appraised at $1200-$1500 without the accessories.

It was recently tuned (6 years ago?) by 86er & his shotgun friends.

PM me and we can chat... (rather sell it here so I can keep track of it than send it to the Drilling factors...) :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Another good combo gun to consider if you can find one is the Savage 2400 in 12ga over 308.