Close call for local officer in Wyoming

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Close call for local officer in Wyoming

Post by jnyork »

This officer is a friend and neighbor, well respected in our community, one of the good guys. Very close call here:

(Lander, Wyo.) – A Lander-based Wyoming State Trooper had a close call on South Pass Tuesday afternoon when he was struck and knocked down by a semi tractor-trailer unit that failed to stop at the scene.

Trooper Dave Hockett was assisting other motorists and was at the side of a livestock trailer at milepost 54 near the Limestone Mountain turnoff when he saw the oncoming semi heading towards him.

According to Acting Lt. Dan Wyrick, Hockett put his shoulder against the livestock trailer in an attempt to avoid being struck, but he was hit in the elbow by the truck, knocking him to the ground.

The truck then struck the livestock trailer some six to eight feet from where Hockett had been standing, and it continued down the highway.

Another Trooper was able to stop the hit and run driver at mile post 65 near Johnnie Lee’s Corner and the driver was cited and release for leaving the scene of a personal injury crash. The driver was reportedly from Riverton, but that information was not readily available on Wednesday.

Wyrick said “It was a very very close call. We are very thankful Trooper Hockett was not seriously injured. It was snowing very hard at the time and visibility was reduced. It’s about that time that the highway was closed.”

Hockett reported that he had a “nice bruise and a lump” on his elbow but was otherwise uninjured
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Close call for local officer in Wyoming

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad the officer survived, but I would still think the driver may lose his license...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I think more officers are killed in that manner than are killed by armed confrontations. Glad he isn't a statistic and will be ok.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Amen... lucky officer & driver. Lassiter is correct, injuries and fatalities from being struck when on the side of the road are far more numerous than shootings. I always maintained a "shoulder side" attitude... staying on the shoulder side of the vehicle; and if that was not possible, stand in front of the vehicle unless you're directing traffic for another officer. A flashlight in hand, even in broad daylight... as a handy throwing object to get the attention of those who seem to not be aware of their surroundings!!! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good news, for sure.

Those type of drive-by/drive-into incidents (I refuse to think of them as accidents) are why my state has instituted the "move-over or slow-down 10mph" law, when passing by any emergency vehicle stopped @ roadside, etc ($100 fine, IIRC).

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Texas has the slow down or move over law, but I have not seen it enforced. It probably should be if for no other reason than to save lives. I don't care who it is who is on the side of the road, they should be given a chance to do whatever emergency service that they are trying to do. Police officer, firefighter, paramedic, good samaritan, or whomever. Move over for them.

I am glad that officer was not severely injured or killed. Prayers sent that he has a safe career.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

He's a tough man, hit by a semi and gets a lump!!!! Time to say thanks.

Glad your friend is basically okay.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Glad he survived. We have a move over law here in Florida. A State Trooper was killed about a year ago here when her cruiser was struck on the side of the road. We enforce the move over law it at the agency I work for when possible.

The driver is lucky that a citation is all he got. Here in Florida it is a felony to leave the scene of a crash involving injury or death.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Really glad he survived!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In indiana the law evidently says not to signal and smoothly merge into the left lane and slow down, but rather that immediately upon sight of a distant officer two miles ahead, we are immediately to jerk into the left lane without looking or signaling, then slam on our breaks just short of catching our tires on fire. Seen several wrecks caused that way... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Code-4