Leverguns In Combat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns In Combat

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI, the latest American Rifleman (June 2015) has an article starting on pp.50, w/pics of leverguns that were issued & used in combat.

The article covered the Winchester 94's issued to French WWI soldiers, and the Winchester 95's issued in Latvia, Poland, Finland, Russia, and M-95's sold to Cuba by Russia.

Hook1948
Levergunner

Re: Leverguns In Combat

Post by Hook1948 »

Did t mention the Battle of Plevna and the Turk's Model 73s?

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Turkey/Pl ... Delay.html
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Don't forget Spain.

My '95 Russian contract has a Spainish Loyalist cartouche on the stock.

I also had for a time a model 94 with Canadian proof marks. Unlikely that it ever saw combat but
who knows.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Joe S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Joe S. »

I haven't seen the issue but the military used 94's to patrol the spruce forests on i think the western coast back during one of the WW's. Not really used for combat but the mounted patrol had them. They were dubbed spruce guns.
Joe S.
Central MS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's a couple stills I captured from an old documentary showing Brits preparing for an invasion by Nazi forces, shows some young home-guard Brit gals trained on how to handle a Savage model 99 which I'm guessing was a part of the lend/lease program.

ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Years ago I read an article about LERPS in Viet Nam using a Marlin 444 as bunker buster........Used it to punch through sand bags and like. It did not make sense to me when they could use a M14/M1A1 or M1 Garand or Browning BAR with commonly available AP rounds but that was it said.

I recall reading about many Winchester 73, 92, and a smattering of 94 used by Filipino guerillas against the Japanese.

I'm sure there were a few used in Haiti, Mexico, and skirmishes further south by Police, Regular Army and Irregular forces of all sorts .
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wm wrote:Years ago I read an article about LERPS in Viet Nam using a Marlin 444 as bunker buster........Used it to punch through sand bags and like. It did not make sense to me when they could use a M14/M1A1 or M1 Garand or Browning BAR with commonly available AP rounds...
WM, your information was based, I believe, on the Marlin 444 levergun carried by the legendary LRRP MSgt. Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, who is still MIA as I understand. As you stated, he had it imported to his unit so that he could use it to "bust bunkers" in Cambodia in his classified missions.

According to the article cited below, he was the only Special Ops soldier - or any soldier, I guess - who carried this firearm into combat in Southeast Asia. I would surmise that it was personal preference, but also its 7.5 lb weight (versus M1 Garand's 9.5 lbs.) might have figured in. The BAR would have been a monster to haul around at 16 lbs. empty.

See:
https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/ ... n&ID=68593
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Wow, my 444 has a military heritage!! Sad he remains a MIA.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JohnDeFresno, that was a very good read and totally appropriate for Memorial Day. Thank you. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CowboyTutt wrote:JohnDeFresno, that was a very good read and totally appropriate for Memorial Day. Thank you. -Tutt
Ditto.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Was really great to hear that the Winchester 73, 92, 94 and 95 as well as the Marlin 94 and Savage 99 played such a role in history! Thanks for such a good read you guys! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Thanks for posting that link. As others have said it was a good read. If anyone is interested in reading more about the LRRPs there is a series of books (three I think) called Six Silent Men that tells their story. It is a good read.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The Rangers still exist. Colt Canada is designing a new rifle but they continue to use Lee Enfields. The Lee Enfield is sturdy and handles the cold well.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/c ... index.page
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

During WW1 the Royal Navy had several thousand Winchester 92's in use for ship boarding parties and guard duty.

Apparently the sailor boys didn't particularly care for them as they were used to the considerably longer-ranged Lee-Enfields with clip loading (not single rounds), but for compartment-to-compartment action aboard a warship the 92 would certainly do well enough. For a shore party, having a bit more range would be nice.