Swiss Army Bike

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

Swiss Army Bike

Post by bdhold »

Not going to run out and buy one, and at 48 lbs, this is one stout puppy.
But thought this was a good audience to share.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... nt=criteo2
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Swiss Army Bike

Post by walks with gun »

What good is a Swiss bike, 7 speeds but their all NEUTRAL.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

got to be better than a French bike that lays down and makes you throw up your hands every time you see a BMW
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Or an Italian bike, that's only been dropped once............... ;)

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

of course there are still bicycle corps riding today in Afghanistan

and the first great technology boom in bicycles was for the military
https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/a-man-o ... ndy-corps/

but have to back up and give credit to the French. The second great bicycle technology boom was the occupation of Paris, and was the origin of the modern lightweight bicycle
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/12/ ... ccupation/
it's debatable whether there have been significant bicycle technology innovations since then (other than manufacturing technology)
always tough for an Anglophile to admit

btw, if I could justify the cost, I would buy one of the Swiss Army bikes. They historically sell for much higher over here (twice as much), having been imported piecemeal.
Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would love to have a piece of that history. Never issued! Just am shut down now with buying. Darn
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

have this poster at home - French bike messengers meet Polish lancers
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

That is neat !

burly guard over the rear derailleur

I truly shudder at the thought of paying that much for something with that age and component spec on it , -- if its actually 48 pounds , thats some serious gas pipe level tubing --- i would think 35, tops

But as a conversation piece, it would definitely be worth 2 or 300 bucks (sadly they are asking for more )
----- Doug
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Awesome bug out vehicle after a nuclear war or an EMP :lol:
Or a silent deer stalker with a deer carrier rack both front and rear :lol:

Seriously, A bike that heavy and that light on for gears would get you fit and there's no way you'd ever wear it out.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meh. If I'm going to buy a military 2 wheeler, I'll stick with the Bullet (Royal Enfield C5 Military)... because sidecars and machine-gun mounts are cool. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Streetstar wrote:That is neat !

burly guard over the rear derailleur

I truly shudder at the thought of paying that much for something with that age and component spec on it , -- if its actually 48 pounds , thats some serious gas pipe level tubing --- i would think 35, tops

But as a conversation piece, it would definitely be worth 2 or 300 bucks (sadly they are asking for more )

My old Raleigh doesn't weigh too far behind that, especially with a load, and I've ridden it 40 mi with a 2500' climb - in the Texas summer - though my gearing is optimized for that (it's also 7-sp rear, made up for in the front).

Again, until this surplus import, these bikes were selling for $2500 here. Using the same rear hub and only changing the cassette you could upgrade to 8 or 9 speed friction shifting, or even go to 10 or 11 speed index by changing the shifter (and chain) - max upgrade would cost about $150 (rear axle is probably 135mm, ready to go for 11 speed, but I would stick to 9 speed for chain strength). A bit more expensive option would be leave the rear as is, change the front to a compact double and add front shifter
this 9-speed compact double duplicates the range and steps of the 3 x 7 on my old Raleigh

gas pipe is thrown around too soon too often. The straight gage TI 20-30 tubing on my old Raleigh is equivalent in every way to the Reynolds 531 straight gage used on the Super Course of the same era (the new bikes weighed exactly the same, the only difference was racing fork v. touring fork). Point being Raleigh Grand Prix is too often referred to as gas pipe. Real gas pipe is seam-welded normalized (low tensile) steel tubing and no decent bike was ever made with it - at least not since early postwar. A good part of the weight in that bike is in those bullet-proof racks and bash guards, but they'd be very useful if you wanted to haul a serious load over rough terrain. Also agree it's the ultimate survival-prep bike.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The Japanese used bikes during their invasion of SE Asia quite successfully.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey, that's really cool...

I could use it with the "Swiss Army Gun" that my friend Won Hung Low is showing here!!! :wink:
Swiss Army Rifle.jpg
Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Somewhere recently I seen a old film of English paratroopers jumping with folding bikes to use when they landed.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

maybe The Longest Day?
They certainly still make them that way

my buddy's touring bike here folds and fits into a shipping container that is a bit bigger than a suitcase, and checks as normal airline baggage (don't say bike when you're checking baggage - most airlines have a set oversize fee for bikes that is most of a ticket price - say sporting goods)
This is a 24-lb bike - the seatpost is a floor pump - it also stashes neatly in an RV hold.

back to movies - Soldier of Orange has a couple of great scenes of Dutch bicycle troops during the Blitzkrieg.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'd love to have an excuse to add one of the Ritchey Breakaway bikes to my stable --- alas, i dont fly enough to get my moneys worth out of it --- but i am still contemplating having a framebuilder install some S&S couplers on an old Litespeed that is seldom used ---
----- Doug
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

We'll see if this works since I'm not used to posting from my iPad. Here's my version:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

looks great - like the frame bag
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

bulldog1935 wrote:looks great - like the frame bag
Thanks! Made the frame bag myself, pretty happy with how it turned out.