Maine moose lottery. Dad got picked.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Maine moose lottery. Dad got picked.

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yesterday I got a message from a friend to call him right away. A friend of ours was at the Maine moose festival in Bethel Maine where the fish and game guys do the official drawing for moose permits.

He saw my dad's name and home town pop up.

Sure enough Dad obtained a bull permit for Zone 4 in the late September season. In addition I am the subpermittee or official hunting partner. In Maine and other New England states the subpermittee can hunt and shoot that moose.

We are pretty elated about this news. We put in for many years and in a way it was about time we got drawn. Starting today, we're getting in shape all around ( food, exercise and target practice) for this special event.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Maine moose lottery. Dad got picked.

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats to your dad!
let us know when the BBQ is :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you guys!

Zone 4 should be good, but more importantly, the September season is best. While warmer temps are kind of a pain once you shoot one, it's the rut and you have the ability to call the bulls.

If it's not too difficult for you due to distance, scouting is key.

Best of luck to you. Have a great time and a successful hunt. You'll see some nice country.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

bigbore442001 wrote:Yesterday I got a message from a friend to call him right away. A friend of ours was at the Maine moose festival in Bethel Maine where the fish and game guys do the official drawing for moose permits.

He saw my dad's name and home town pop up.

Sure enough Dad obtained a bull permit for Zone 4 in the late September season. In addition I am the subpermittee or official hunting partner. In Maine and other New England states the subpermittee can hunt and shoot that moose.

We are pretty elated about this news. We put in for many years and in a way it was about time we got drawn. Starting today, we're getting in shape all around ( food, exercise and target practice) for this special event.

Good news ! Now's the time to set up for a retrieval backhoe in Zone 4. :mrgreen:

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Tell your father Congratulations! :D I got picked as well, posted earlier this morning. Zone 8 which is right below yours and the best part my camp is in zone 8 south of the Forks/Dead River. Good Luck!

Mainehunter :wink:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Congratulations to your Dad, BB! They are difficult to be drawn for, that's for certain.

I've put in here in WA State since they opened a moose season, I don't know how many decades ago. I suppose I'll die of old age before I'm ever drawn. So to hear about your dad makes it all the better!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations, good luck!
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:Congratulations, good luck!
+1 - both counts! :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Washington state Moose is a once in a lifetime drawing. The man who owned our local gun shop got drawn about three years back and the following year his wife was drawn , both got Moose.
Good luck on your hunt. What gun and loads are you going to take?
I watched the TV show The Last Alaskans last night. One of the guys was Moose hunting and he carried a Winchester 1895 in .35 Win. . He said it had accounted for many Moose.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Dad plans to take his Remington M700 in 30-06. He has killed moose in Newfoundland before with the 30-06 and it worked very well. He did ask me about reduced loads as he doesn't deal with recoil very well any more. I am tempted to have a brake installed on it.

I am planning to take one of the following:

1. TC Super 16 in 4570 . Gary Reeder had refinished this barrel and installed a muzzle brake. Believe it or not shooting the barrel isn't that bad. Kind of like a warmish 44 magnum. I am not sure what bullet and load combo I want to use. Last time I used a Nosler Partition 300 grain soft point( which is no longer made) and was not impressed by it. I am thinking of a Hornady 350 grain flat point loaded in the TC Contender.

2. TC Super 14 in 375 JDJ. Again the load I am not sure.

3. TC Encore 15 inch in 30-06. Maximum load for a 165 or 180 grain bullet.

4. TC Encore 16 inch 50 caliber muzzleloader.Max load of Blackhorn 209 with a 300 grain sabot round.

We spoke about a strategy. The plan is since we are going to call for moose is to set up a small blind and sit next to each other. When we see a good shot Dad said I have first crack. I told him that what we should do is shoot right after each other. So if I take the shot then immediately he shoots. Two shots in a moose should do the trick.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Something that works well if you are calling......

Locate an area with good sign and position yourself in an area that seems too thick for what you're doing.
Start calling and listen for replies. If you don't get any within twenty minutes or so move.
If you do, rake the limbs and bushes with a canoe paddle while calling.

If there is a good bull in the area, he will come in fairly directly, usually from the downwind side. It helps if you have a person doing the calling and the shooters are downwind of him a ways.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Congrats and good luck!

-stretch
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

John, bigbore442001, just posted over on Gary Reeder's forum, that his father just passed away after church on Sunday. a sad ending to what would have been a great outing for both of them.
I really hate to hear these things, makes me feel my age.

I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers, as i am sure we all will.
cable
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is sad! Prayers for all the family and friends.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Thanks.

I can't believe it.

Dad was picked for a moose permit in New Hampshire as well.

How can this be? I am bedazzled to an extent.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

bigbore442001 wrote:Thanks.

I can't believe it.

Dad was picked for a moose permit in New Hampshire as well.

How can this be? I am bedazzled to an extent.

I am so sorry that he is not here to do both these with you. it is rather strange that he drew both at this time.

you all remain in my prayers, John.
cable