Geography, I doubt they can spell it either.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Geography, I doubt they can spell it either.

Post by jeepnik »

I have a young friend that teaches middle school. This year she gave all of her classes a map showing the fifty states. The first thirteen were numbered 1-13 alphabetically. The rest were numbered in accordance with when they became states. All the students had to do was write down the number next to states name.

None got them all. In fact the best one, and I mean only one got 32. The curve dropped like a rock down a well after that. Two only got California right.

Her first instinct was to fail them all. But the administration intervened and told her if she did they would override her grades. Never knew they could do that.

Well, she gave a few C's, mostly D's and a few F's. Imagine that, they don't know the material yet couldn't be failed. Oh, and most of the parents complained.

I told her she should give the same test to the parents. Her response, most can't read, and of those that can, many only read Spanish.

Mind you these aren't kids that were born elsewhere and immigrated. Most were born here and had attended public school from K to present.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, the local school district says they are changing the requirements for a high school diploma. Seems too few were able to meet the minimum requirements.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Geography, I doubt they can spell it either.

Post by Blaine »

Sad.
Keep in mind that standards are being lowered for teachers because a "certain segment" cannot pass the basic tests for teaching.
Ignorant teachers, Ignorant students.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My wife can't read a map let alone know the states. Good thing she is a banker and not a truck driver.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

What'' the big deal? Think I care if some kid doesn't recognize PRK? I don't myself.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Aaaaaaaaah
I do recognize all the states, but what is PRK :? :oops:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

plowboy 45 wrote:Aaaaaaaaah
I do recognize all the states, but what is PRK :? :oops:
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Ok, thanks for that little lesson there GTO
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

2571 wrote:What'' the big deal? Think I care if some kid doesn't recognize PRK? I don't myself.
I resisted as long as I could. Someone from Detroit bad mouthing California is the pot calling the kettle black.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Even the king (or dictator or whatever) doesn't know how many states there are...
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

claybob86 wrote:Even the king (or dictator or whatever) doesn't know how many states there are...
True, but as I said many if not most were born here.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think they should keep the diploma system the way it is. If you don't pass the requirements for the diploma you should get a certificate of attendance to show you at least went to all the classes.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rusty wrote:I think they should keep the diploma system the way it is. If you don't pass the requirements for the diploma you should get a certificate of attendance to show you at least went to all the classes.
What they should do is fail students if they don't meet the requirements to pass, and hold them back. As it is, students that fail are moved to the next higher grade so they won't have low self-esteem.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, I would have failed too. Now be honest with yourself, how many can you (anybody reading this) put in order of entrance into the US?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

My 15yo daughter is getting a great education. She would have certainly blown that curve.
She's in AP everything that's offered, and I think she's made two Bs in her life - my brain and her mother's mitochondria - she's something else.
http://www.neisd.net/johnson/
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

mikld wrote:Well, I would have failed too. Now be honest with yourself, how many can you (anybody reading this) put in order of entrance into the US?
Sounded to me like all they had to do was recognize the states on a map, not know the order of admission. That was provided on the map.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I must not have been clear. The list of state name was by entrance to the union. They just had to match the number on the map to the name.

Having them in order of was just a way of ordering them. A good hint for some. I'd have just listed them alphabetically.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

jeepnik wrote:
I resisted as long as I could. Someone from Detroit bad mouthing California is the pot calling the kettle black.
Better be careful that sounds like a micro racist response :lol:

I believe you now get fired in Kalifornia for that, in Detroit they just shoot you.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Does not surprise me a bit. On either front - the fact they couldn't do it, or that the school made her pass so many. :evil:

When I lived in central Michigan for 7 years, from the late 1980's to mid-1990's, I remember the Detroit news station doing a survey of 1,000 graduating seniors from the inner-city. They would ask them basic civics questions; who the President was, VP, Governor, etc . They would show them an unmarked map of the US and ask them to identify the state of MI.

Most - a vast majority - couldn't do it. Come on - the state that looks like a mitten?

And, at 18, if they bother to vote, their vote counts just as much as any of ours... :evil: :evil: :evil:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

David wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

I believe you now get fired in Kalifornia for that, in Detroit they just shoot you.
At my age, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the old sayings I sometimes spout. And just what the heck is a "micro" racist? A dwarf who's a member of the KKK. Gee, I think I insulted two groups in one sentence.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

jeepnik wrote:
David wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

At my age, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the old sayings I sometimes spout. And just what the heck is a "micro" racist? A dwarf who's a member of the KKK. Gee, I think I insulted two groups in one sentence.
Its the latest liberal sword. If you say something like it's diverse program that's a racially charged statement a "Micro Racist" remark.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm so glad I moved from CA. Well in advance of my son completing his primary education... I find it amusing that so many still think it's the land of milk & honey... weather-wise, it might be... but in all other respects it has all the markings of a slum.

So, maybe we should give "kudos" to those that are still attempting to hold their heads up out there... but I fear, in actual fact, I'm saddened by the futility of the attempt in the long run.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Don't worry. Many of them believe they can rap for a living.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

cancelled
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

And we wonder why we are going downhill. They sprout off that we a country of immigrants(6 of my 8 GGrandparents were not born in the US) but at least in the old days they expected their children to go to school to learn something so they could better themselves. Unfortunately, it is no longer that way and we will become a second or third rate country. And I happen to know a thing or two about self esteem as I was born with cerebral palsy. Have lived a fairly normal life, held jobs no problem, homeowner for over 35 years, married for 33 years to the same loving woman and have 2 children and 2 adorable grandchildren. So I do get upset at the whiners and apologists shoot off their mouths about how hard it is.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Where is Noo Zeeland?

A friend of mine went to Paris Texas just to see the place. Sitting on the porch of a store was an old chap chewing tobacco. Being a friendly kiwi he struck up a conversion. My friend's accent through the Southern gentleman. 'Where are you from boy?" He asked. "New Zealand" came the answer. "Hell, I don't think I have been to that part of Texas!" The old man commented before spitting out his tobacco.

But can you?

Name all the protectorates of the United States starting with Eastern Samoa!