US to change over to JHP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

US to change over to JHP

Post by Ray Newman »

Modular Handgun Project:

The Modular Handgun will use JHP ammo.

http://bearingarms.com/u-s-military-mak ... n=baupdate
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: US to change over to JHP

Post by 765x53 »

The problem is, even civilized armies will continue the long standing tradition of summarily executing anyone captured in possession of soft point ammunition.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Might make civilian ammo harder to get/scarce.
Part of the greater plan?

hayabusa
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My ammo for social work is fmj...it's also a tad truncated. A toenail clipper works for my .308 FMJ
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I always thought the Geneva Convention made the use of ammo not fully jacketed illegal and in violation of the laws of war.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I always thought the Geneva Convention made the use of ammo not fully jacketed illegal and in violation of the laws of war.
I believe this is so - but not for the humanitarian reasons stated. The Geneva Convention was drafted by European countries and those whose roots were Europeans. The actual thought was that FMJ caused more battlefield injuries than deaths, thus consuming more resources in treating wounded. Logic fell apart in WWII, Korea and Vietnam - and now in the Middle East when we faced an enemy happy to leave their wounded behind for us to treat...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I always thought the Geneva Convention made the use of ammo not fully jacketed illegal and in violation of the laws of war.
I believe this is so - but not for the humanitarian reasons stated. The Geneva Convention was drafted by European countries and those whose roots were Europeans. The actual thought was that FMJ caused more battlefield injuries than deaths, thus consuming more resources in treating wounded. Logic fell apart in WWII, Korea and Vietnam - and now in the Middle East when we faced an enemy happy to leave their wounded behind for us to treat...
It's an act of kindness to speed up the Rag's trip to paradise, and all them virgins.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I never could understand the "70 virgins" reward belief, it sounds kind of perverted. :roll:
I'd rather have a card for Cabela's good for 70 items of my choice. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Interesting. But like all things in the military probably wont see the switch for a long time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Theoretically, the Geneva/Hague only applies when fighting a uniformed army.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
OD#3
Levergunner

Post by OD#3 »

It was the third declaration of the Hague Convention of 1899, and the United States refused to ratify it. It specifically banned the use of bullets designed to expand in the human body. We've obeyed it up til now only because most of the rest of the civilized world obeys it and would consider our using those bullets to be a violation of the laws of war. But we never agreed to do so by any treaty or convention.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Yea but MOST of our previous enemies didn't do beheadings, tortures or suicide bombings either. Of course the Japanese or VC didn't exactly play by the rules either.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I don't believe the Japanese were signatories either.
As to Victor Charles....those vermin weren't interested in rules or conventions.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

OD#3 wrote:It was the third declaration of the Hague Convention of 1899, and the United States refused to ratify it. It specifically banned the use of bullets designed to expand in the human body. We've obeyed it up til now only because most of the rest of the civilized world obeys it and would consider our using those bullets to be a violation of the laws of war. But we never agreed to do so by any treaty or convention.
+1
I think the problem lies with out NATO European members, while the US did not sign, many of the NATO allies did, so how do we standardize the ammo for those countries?

Steve
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

As to standardization of ammo. 19 years I have never used ammo for work that didn't have a U.S. originating head stamp. If the issue is they get their ammo from us well then they should start making their own. As to the legality of them using our stuff well.... they need to figure it out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Ji, it was the Hague Convention of 1899 where the issue of banning "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, etc" first reared it's head. Below are a few points of conduct of belligerents in warfare addressed at the 1899 Hague Convention. Some are kind of funny today in light of the innovations of modern warfare.

Major powers represented at the convention - United States, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, and China. -

(IV,1): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Discharge of Projectiles and Explosives from Balloons or by Other New Analogous Methods

This declaration provides that, for a period of five years, in any war between signatory powers, no projectiles or explosives would be launched from balloons, "or by other new methods of a similar nature." The declaration was ratified by all the major powers mentioned above, except Great Britain and the United States.[13]

(IV,2): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Projectiles with the Sole Object to Spread Asphyxiating Poisonous Gases

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using projectiles "the sole object of which is the diffusion of asphyxiating or deleterious gases." Ratified by all major powers, except the United States.[14]

(IV,3): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." This directly banned "soft-nosed" bullets (which had a partial metal jacket and an exposed tip) and "cross-tipped" bullets (which had a cross-shaped incision in their tip to aid in expansion, nicknamed "Dum Dums" from the Dum Dum Arsenal in India). It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States .
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JReed wrote:As to standardization of ammo. 19 years I have never used ammo for work that didn't have a U.S. originating head stamp. If the issue is they get their ammo from us well then they should start making their own. As to the legality of them using our stuff well.... they need to figure it out.
I have shot a bunch of 5.56 from Germany, Sweden, and some from the United Kingdom. Norma is a huge ammo maker in Europe, they make most of what I shot. Quite a few of the European countries make there own NATO ammo.

Steve
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

SteveR wrote:
JReed wrote:As to standardization of ammo. 19 years I have never used ammo for work that didn't have a U.S. originating head stamp. If the issue is they get their ammo from us well then they should start making their own. As to the legality of them using our stuff well.... they need to figure it out.
I have shot a bunch of 5.56 from Germany, Sweden, and some from the United Kingdom. Norma is a huge ammo maker in Europe, they make most of what I shot. Quite a few of the European countries make there own NATO ammo.

Steve
I know quite a few of them make their own. Heck the Russians make 556. Just from my experiences niether myself nor any of my Marines have been issued ammo that didnt have a US head stamp. We have no ammo restrictions so any problems lay with the other NATO countries.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JReed wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
I know quite a few of them make their own. Heck the Russians make 556. Just from my experiences niether myself nor any of my Marines have been issued ammo that didnt have a US head stamp. We have no ammo restrictions so any problems lay with the other NATO countries.
Sorry, I was a little dense, now I understand what you said. I love the Lake City 62gr greentip, for my semi-auto's, but the LC 55gr shoots better than the 62gr in my Savage boltaction.

Steve
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I think in this case, the HP design is to hold a little pig lard in each bullet.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OD#3 wrote:It was the third declaration of the Hague Convention of 1899, and the United States refused to ratify it. It specifically banned the use of bullets designed to expand in the human body. We've obeyed it up til now only because most of the rest of the civilized world obeys it and would consider our using those bullets to be a violation of the laws of war. But we never agreed to do so by any treaty or convention.
Bingo, and both parties had to be signatories.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As an aside, Governmental agencies in the USA see fit to use the most destructive ammo possible on citizens. I do not have qualms about using it on our enemies. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OD#3
Levergunner

Post by OD#3 »

I used Radway Green on two separate deployments. The first was belted 7.62 that was provided to us to test-fire our machine guns with prior to crossing the border. The second time, I had nothing but 30 rounds of "force protection" ammo shortly after arrival in-country when I was suddenly ordered to a Marine Combat Outpost to handle their bulk fuel requirements for a few months. I was handed a couple of .50 cal ammo cans full of loose 5.56 that departing soldiers had emptied their magazines into. Most of it was Lake City--dirty, corroded, dented, and it had mixed date-of-manufacture headstamps. But some of it was Radway Green that looked like new and was all from the same date of manufacture. I picked through the ammo until I had enough Radway Green for a combat load. I never had the need to fire the 5.56, but I remember being impressed with the performance of the 7.62. I had purchased surplus Radway Green years before for my milsurps, but this new stuff was very good--as good or better than our best Lake City. Until then, I had always considered NATO standardization of ammo nice in theory but unlikely to ever affect me.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Given the well documented fact that we SPECIFICALLY AND INTENTIONALLY never signed the Geneva Convention accord as it relates to hollowpoints, and given the fact that our soldiers fought skirmishes and wars, and given the fact that I believe that at least some of our Presidents in the past really wanted for us to prevail in our campaigns, really cared about our soldiers -

I will never understand why it took this long for the Army to choose to provide ammunition that is available to our civilian population. I remember thinking about this while in Southeast Asia, over 50 years ago.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Like the big bad wolf said to goldilocks: "the better to blow yer' brains out with my dear."
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

What I've Read....

Post by BrianSH »

The idea of the FMJ was to limit suffering.
The men in top hats and claw-hammer-tailed coats that came up with this knew that most armies were made up of conscripts & peasants, and not professional soldiers. So the plan was to put them out of action but maybe with a more survivable wound.

Also remember that these new-fangled super sonic cartridges were also fairly new on the scene. These days the idea is to drop 'em in their tracks and make 'em cry for their mommies. I like the bacon grease in the cavity idea too!

Just something I read somewhere, long ago. - Brian