Elk on the desert

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Elk on the desert

Post by jnyork »

Wife and I took a day trip out into Wyoming's Red Desert country Saturday, came upon this bunch of elk. This is part of the country's only remaining herd of desert-dwelling elk, they were at one time found in almost all parts of the nation. I got a good count on these guys when they were all strung out coming up out of a wash, 60 head plus or minus 2 or 3, then as they bunched up and started running another 8 or 10 came out of another little wash and joined them. Call it 70 or so. These were dang near 1/2 mile away when I took this shot and some others, had my little Canon set on 60X.

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Elk on the desert

Post by jkbrea »

Awesome picture. Just hope wolves don't get down there soon or have they? I read years ago that the Red Desert was producing some really nice bulls and was a well kept secret. It's strange to think they were open plains animals at one time from coast to cost. Overhunting forced them to head for the hills.
I just want to know where they'll be come Sept 26th! :D

The rut is about to go full blast. Kind of looks like a larger herd bull on the right with all those cows and a handful of satellite bulls following.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jkbrea wrote:Awesome picture. Just hope wolves don't get down there soon or have they? I read years ago that the Red Desert was producing some really nice bulls and was a well kept secret. It's strange to think they were open plains animals at one time from coast to cost. Overhunting forced them to head for the hills.
I just want to know where they'll be come Sept 26th! :D

The rut is about to go full blast. Kind of looks like a larger herd bull on the right with all those cows and a handful of satellite bulls following.

There were several very nice bulls in the group that don't show up in the pic, they are imbedded into the tightly packed group, they don't show up very well due the mirage and distance from the camera.

I can guarantee on Sept 26th they will be where you find them. :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's really COOL. thanks for the picture.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Great picture. What do they eat? I have a GREAT book, "Yellowstone Kelley". It`s the autobiography of Luther Kelley. He joined the Union Army right at the end of the civil war at I think, 14 or 15 years old. The army wouldn't discharge him and sent him to the western frontier, then Minnesota. When discharged he went farther west and wrote of all he saw. Lived quite a adventurous life. He said many times he would be in one spot and see Elk, Buffalo etc all at the same time. Clint Walker played him in the movie, "Yellowstone Kelley." They even looked much alike! I have met Clint. Get the book!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've driven thru the area many times....I love it there (and almost anyplace in WY)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thats soom good photography
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That's a great picture. I've never seen that many in one bunch out there.

For good or for bad, the red desert elk are remnants of an experiment to reestablish the original migrations from the Winds, the Gros Ventre, and even some from the southern Yellowstone herd that mirated by way of the Hoback. Problem was that the elk used for the reintroduction had no living members of the herd (old lead cow) that had ever made the migration. Consequently, the elk never learned that they were supposed to migrate and therefore just stayed in the Red Desert. Some will go up into the Green, Ferris, or Crooks to get out of the heat in summer. Some will hang around the Jack Morrows even though they are not that high or that cool. I doubt if that would be considered a migration considering the "goal" of the experiment. Steamboat seems to be where most of the calving is happening as the road (dare I call it that, i.e. an ATV with tank treads might make it) from the north side is closed for that part of the year.

I can find no evidence in literature of the early explorers or mountain men or new scientific data that states there was ever a sizable herd of year round elk in the Red Desert but there is much early evidence of the vast majority being a migratory population.

Just went through some of it two weekends ago as a friend of mine (lives in Big Piney) and I have made it a mission to cover the Desert completely before we kick. Traveled hundreds of miles and clogged many air and fuel filters making the attempt but still have much to go. The peace and solitude has to be experienced to be believed.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Don't even get me started on the subject of wolves. There is a very good reason they have been demonized throughout history dating back 15,000 years ago. Basically 2 apex predators slugging it out for dominance. We had the war won until people got soft, let the wolf huggers spend a few nights in the woods with a pack of hungry wolves and the survivors if any will be marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:Don't even get me started on the subject of wolves. There is a very good reason they have been demonized throughout history dating back 15,000 years ago. Basically 2 apex predators slugging it out for dominance. We had the war won until people got soft, let the wolf huggers spend a few nights in the woods with a pack of hungry wolves and the survivors if any will be marching to the beat of a different drummer.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's a beautiful picture.

The WY red desert is on my list of must visit places.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

That is a neat picture, if it were mine it would be framed and hanging on the wall.

A couple years after they ran the CAP canal to Tucson I was on the out skirts of Casa Grande on the E side of the valley and saw five Elk, I couldn't believe my eyes.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Sorry, I got so off on my personal opinion of wolves that I forgot the thread was about a picture of a magnificent herd of elk that are part of the country's only remaining herd of desert-dwelling elk. An awesome picture of a near endangered elk specie. In coastal Oregon I have seen elk herds(10-25) grazing on the front lawns of the homes of summer vacationers in December-early March time period. I have never been able to see them in their natural state like this picture. The ones I have seen take advantage of all the tasty lawns surrounding the houses that nobody uses for 6-7 months out of the year excepting an occasional weekend during that time.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote:That's really COOL. thanks for the picture.
+ 1.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.