What do we think of current Remington 1911s?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

What do we think of current Remington 1911s?

Post by Panzercat »

Having narrowly escaped a bad purchase with my wallet intact, I'm starting to look up the quality curve of 1911s. While that doesn't mean I have 1k or more to spend, I'm not opposed to $700-800 for a decent pistol after having been burned down in the lower tiers. Most of my research has been pretty straight forward:

Springfield Loaded
Almost universally lauded as a great pistol with the customer service to back it up in every instance I've read. I imagine it would be tough to go wrong here and they've fired up their free mag promo again. I can get a stainless loaded for $722.00, 742 after the FFL. But God those grips are ugly :p

RIA TAC 2011-VZ
The only reason I would consider another foreign manufacturer is because RIA has a great rep and reportedly excellent customer service as well. Their quality is generally great, but they do seem to have consistency issues with their product on occasion... Or should I say, more so than Springfield, which is a high mark to hit. That's $593, so a hair over $600 once the FFL factors in. Easily $100 less and they seem to stand by their product.

And then there's Remington. It's hard to get a feel for Remington because their rep seems pretty tainted because of the controversy surrounding them. I'm particularly looking at the R1 Enhanced Threaded. Supposedly that price can be talked down to $729, so roughly the same as the Springfield once the door hits me on the way out. I lose the advantage of the mag/bag promo, but I gain a threaded barrel... Which is just too dern sexy. Hell, if I add one myself, I'm paying at least $300 to whatever it was I added it to.

So what are your thoughts on the R1 Enhanced? Springfield appears to be the safest choice, obviously, but how does it compare to the Remington? What can I expect if I need service?

[Edit - I forgot the Ruger SR1911. Also well recommended. Series 70 layout.]
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What do we think of current Remington 1911s?

Post by yooper2 »

I have the standard R1 and love it. I've probably put 10,000 rounds through it in the last few years. I've never had a malfunction that wasn't related to ammunition, the regular lube groove Lee 230 RN was finicky. I switched to an NOE copy of the Lyman 230 RN and have been chugging along happily since. It's the only autoloading centerfire pistol I own, don't see a reason to change that.

Eric
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well made. And, you can get them plain jane if that's what you want. More and more of the offerings have so many bells and whistles that aren't needed, but cost aplenty.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A lot of guys that are shooting the Wild Bunch matches in SASS report good things.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

You can't go wrong with a 1911. I own several Colts, a couple Kimbers and a Springfield and all shoot like dreams. I carry each of them CCW depending on weather and swap them out for my Glock 19 from time to time. Never had an issue with any of them. My next one witll be a Ruger Commander length as I have been wanting to try one out.
Last edited by Mich Hunter on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have owned and shot them all, extensively and my choice right now is from the very lowest end, ($400) in box with spare mag. It's a Charles Daley made in the Philipines and it sits right next to a couple of Colts that have extensively enhanced by the best 1911 guys (Frank Pachmayer and Bud Price) that ever lived. The Philipino had to have a new recoil spring but then has digested everything I've fed it from 185 hollow points to hardball. The bullet I shoot most is the H&G 200 SWC. I know, a lot of pistols won't feed this but all mine do but then I only use Wilson magazines. They are the best!

You should be able to find a Kimber or Wilson in your $700 to $800 range, maybe just a bit more but in my opinion the best available.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have only handled one Remington 1911 and it was one of the slickest 1911's I have ever handled.
That being said, I own three Ruger 1911's, one 5" SR 1911 and two Commander length.
I am totally pleased with them. I also have a Springfield loaded and it is also a sweet piece.
Pick the one that pleases you and enjoy.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

@ M. M. Wright

I have one of the philippine mil-spec 1911s, forgot the branding, american classic or some such. about 307$ after ffl fees a few years ago. it has been reliable except for my cast lead reload, which feeds perfectly from my xd, but chokes out of the wilson magazines in the 1911. the 1911 perfectly feeds every commercial load that I've tried. I think the bullet I used was just fat enough to balk at the tight chamber.

It has been a fun and great shooter. I could use help in resolving the feed issue, probably just a bullet change would do it, but I don't have time to get involved with it, too many irons in the fire as it is...

p.s. it's not in the class of the works of art being contemplated here, but it is an exact reproduction of the 1911A1 as near as I can tell. just a good blue collar low dollar shooter. supposedly built from the licensed contract drawings of the early days of 1911 production.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote:The bullet I shoot most is the H&G 200 SWC. I know, a lot of pistols won't feed this but all mine do but then I only use Wilson magazines. They are the best!

You should be able to find a Kimber or Wilson in your $700 to $800 range, maybe just a bit more but in my opinion the best available.
Loaded to the correct OAL, that bullet oughta feed thru any 1911. I have no problems with them outta my now 8 1911s. From a mid 70s Colt Gold Cup, a former Navy issue Gov't mdl, an early 80s Colt Commander, a "parts" gun made of new & surplus GI parts, a RIA, 2 Taylor's Tactical & now a Kimber Pro Carry. That bullet was designed to replicate the feed dynamics of a 230 Hard Ball. Cast of a hard alloy, if your gun won't feed a 200 grain H&Gs, it won't feed issue ball!

Wilson's are good, but the "VERY best" 1911 mags are made by Tripp Research! If you have any dinged or twisted followers, get their "Upgrade Kit!"
Last edited by Griff on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Oh snap. $75 rebate for Remington on that pistol too. That more than makes up for the Springfield extra mag offer.
If I get this promotion coming up, I think there's 1911 in my future. 8)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I would not buy any -II series Kimber, or take a free one.

For a good yet inexpensive gun, Dan Wesson's 1911s are well built.

I have not heard anything bad about the Remingtons, or the new Rugers.