S&W model 10

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

S&W model 10

Post by hondo1892 »

Guys I got an itch for a model 10 I need to take care of. I like the skinny barrel with the half moon sight. My great uncle had one for as long as I can remember I would have liked to have got it when he passed but didn't. I know that the 10 came with a heavy barrel also but I like the looks of the skinny barrel better. Is there any advantages the heavy barrel has over the lighter barrel? Yea I know the recoil would be a little less with the heavy barrel but is there any thing else. Anyone that has shot both and can give any pro's or cons on them I would like to hear. I found one 10-7 at a local shop for three bills. The inside was clean but rust on one side not any deep pitting yet but rusty. He wouldn't deal any on the price either. Thinking I can find a better deal I passed. Looked like an old police issue gun. There's a decent pawn shop close also but he only had a 10 with a cut down barrel right now. I want something that is a 10-7 or earlier.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W model 10

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Had a skinny 5" barrel. Loved it except for the fixed sights. Always came up in hand nicely and was decently accurate for me. It wasn't rated for +P loads so sold it off for my two Ruger Security Sixes. Have you checked Bud's, they have police trade-ins from time to time
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMO, the heavy barreled K-frames are just a tad more accurate. I've had a mdl 1, 13, 19 & 65. All in 4" snouts. The mdl 13 & 65 were heavy barrels and both shot far better'n the mdl 10 & 19. Wish I still had the mdl13. The mdl65 I have now leaves a shooter w/no excuses for any shot out off the X ring at 25yds, and none out of the 10 ring @ 50!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I stay away from ex-police revolvers, since many LEO's tended to ignore their revolver until it was needed (back when a S&W revolver was the mandated carry gun).

I even came across a couple, in a medium-sized lot of LEO turn-in's that had rust inside the action(s)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have had and fired both the thin and heavy barrel S&W Mdl 10s. I fire a double action revolver mostly DA so to me the difference in accuracy was so negligible I couldn't tell it. What I did feel though was that heavy barrel was steadier on target when shooting DA than the light barrel.
Personally if I run across one I can afford I'd take either - or.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The heavy barrel comes back from recoil a little quicker, "hangs" on target a little better.

And for old school policing, you were less likely to bend the barrel whacking someone in the head with it. According to a lieutenant I know, who started out with one........

For slow fire both will probably be about as accurate, if you're burning up rounds the HB won't heat up as quick.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. I know a pawn shop that has a 65 and I think a 64 for sale. I may have to go look at them. But I like the blue better than stainless. Decisions, decisions.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Got one in 32-20, and it handles beautifully. I stick to 'vintage' loads and save the 'modern' loads for my Ruger/Buckeye, and haven't really shot it for accuracy, but it's one of those guns that's just so easy and enjoyable to shoot that you don't care all that much how accurate it is. I'm betting in it's day (lots of wear and tear on it now) it was pretty accurate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

MrMurphy wrote:And for old school policing, you were less likely to bend the barrel whacking someone in the head with it. According to a lieutenant I know, who started out with one........
That's what we carried saps for! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My ol` M&P gets carried far more than my expensive BBQ guns. Mine dates back to about 1953 to 1955. The woman brought it the shop where I bought it said it was her LEO fathers. All you need and nothing you don`t. It had Goodyear`s on it and I added the stag`s. It go`s with me often when we ride the trails on our Polaris RZR.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice looking grips Bill.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a M&P with the 5" bbl. Shot IPSC Revolver class with it. Was very accurate and easy to shoot. Yes, longer trigger pull but so smooth!
Booger Bill, all you need is a Tyler T grip adapter and that would be perfect. You know they still make them though they've become kinda pricy at $45.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I had a WW1 era one that a friend's grandpa carried as a guard at a local arms plant. Lot's of holster wear and some pitting, I think from the leather. Fool got rid of it because he didn't like pistols, tried to explain it was a family heirloom but all he wanted to know was if I'd give him $125 for it. Duh.

It's staying in my family now, my bros and I pass it back and forth whenever we have the urge to shoot something like this.

Wish my nickel 36 carry gun had a trigger like that.

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a lot of S&W handguns, Colts and some Ruger`s too. The K frame action is probably the most numerous and popular DA ever made. I pack a old model 36 3" a lot too. I have a lot of heavier N frames but I rather carry lighter guns. I am partial to the larger calibers, .44 special and .45 Colt but more often the lighter .38`s win out. Here is a picture of my .44 specials.

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

BB those are some really nice shootin irons you have. I really like the stags on the 10 they make pop out in a crowd.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Booger Bill wrote:I have a lot of S&W handguns, Colts and some Ruger`s too. The K frame action is probably the most numerous and popular DA ever made. I pack a old model 36 3" a lot too. I have a lot of heavier N frames but I rather carry lighter guns. I am partial to the larger calibers, .44 special and .45 Colt but more often the lighter .38`s win out. Here is a picture of my .44 specials.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Please forgive me. I cant help myself.
A S&W 24-3 (.44 special) and a S&W 25-5, (.45 colt.)

Top a 27-2 (.357) my name engraved by factory, and a 29-2 (.44 mag) both in 5" barrels.

Top a S&W 66-3 a Lew Horton special 3" ported, triljon night sight. (.357) "One of 300" and
a 2 1/2" Nickle Colt Python. Also .357.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Left to right, the S&W M&P, a nickle Colt Trooper also in .38 special and the blue trooper is in .22 lr.

S&W J frames. Top model 40, .38 special, middle 3" model 36 also .38 special and bottom is a model 34 .22lr.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I have a model 34 flat latch also except mine has a 4" barrel. Quit the collection you have there, nice.
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

Four gentlemen tried a midday strongarm robbery on me across Scott Circle from the NRA headquarters in 1985.

I jammed the front sight of my Model 10 into the nostril of the first foolish fellow, causing him to do an impressive back flip into the adjacent shrubbery.

The other three fellows were summarily impressed, and made quick their exit.

I captured the nostril guy about three weeks later, under similarly-interesting circumstances.

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice looking firearms, Rather fond of S&Ws also.
It is not the critic who counts
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like the heck out of my Mdl 64 M&P -- its DAO , and while it doesnt say its rated for +P's specifically --- the same gun as the Model 65 is drilled in 357, so i feel perfectly safe shooting +P's out of it, (but rarely do)

I use mine a bit like Bill says he uses that stag Model 10 -- just a perfect gun to have at my side when i'm cow-trailin' it in the boondocks on one of my trailbikes

----- Doug