God, Me and my '76

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

God, Me and my '76

Post by hondo1892 »

Well Dusty's post on his new '76 got me to thinking about my Uberti. I trimmed off four inches of the barrel a few months back and never shot it after the trim. So I got it out today and decided to change the front sight before shooting. So I made a new sight with a bead on it, I like beaded sights. I was pretty proud of the new sight and grabbed some ammo to try out the shorter barrel and new sight. I throw up a target set down and let a round fly and I see something flying in air in front of me. I go and look and there is a patch laying on the ground. I usually put a rod through the bore before shooting but today got ahead of myself and just started slinging lead. Well I got a knot in my stomach when I seen what came out of the barrel. I was fortunate that God was looking out for me. The rifle was promptly emptied and checked. I found no damage to the barrel. I looked it over and ran my fingers along the barrel feeling for a bulge and found nothing. I checked inside and can't see a ring anywhere either. So the rifle made it safely through the incident and so did I. I kept thinking about what could of happened but didn't. I thank God he allowed me to keep all my body parts where they belong. And it will be along time before I forget to check my bore before shooting. It did seem to shoot quit well even after I was shook up. I think the patch was close to the muzzle and the pressure pushed it out of the barrel with out the bullet making any contact with it. Well here's the rifle and the target I shot. I was about 46 paces from the target using cross sticks.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: God, Me and my '76

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful rifle, thanks for relaying the story
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:Beautiful rifle, thanks for relaying the story
+1

Where did you get that ammunition?
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Jay that's a box I decorated myself. I get creative once in a while and make labels for ammo boxes. I just need to find a better way to attach the paper to the box. It peals at the edges no matter what I use.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's a good lookin rifle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nothing looks as good as those big holes in a target.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Only one foot?

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Now that is a good looking rifle! Along with some good shooting. I like what the stocks look like ! That fiddel and butternut color is just Beautiful ! If you get a chance would like to see a pic. up close of that front sight. PS. that 24" barrel is handy Aint it !,,,DT
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. I stripped the stocks because I don't care for the red that Uberti uses and refinished them. Dusty here's the front sight. I made it kinda like the old Lyman with ivory but put a bead on top.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

That is a good looking sight. The bead works for me better. I seem to be able to focus better with the bead. Always liked the Rocky Mnt. style sight and thats what came on the old 76 I just wrote about, looks cool but I do not do my best with that type. I like the style you made . PS forgot to mention you were lucky with the patch deal, Thanks for the remminder to always check our bore first. Good Shooting ,,,DT
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Man I love shooting this rifle. It's really fun to shoot just not so fun to lug around on foot all day. I loaded up some more ammo this morning and did a little more shooting this afternoon. The first group was a little weird though. It strung out diagonally for some reason. The next two grouped like they should have. Nothing changed except the barrel was cleaned before the first string. Any how here's more eye candy.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

You did very nice work on that 73, its a beaut!!

ollogger
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Looks like that you wacked it off just fine. Praise God he does look over us !
What caliber is that 76 ? Have a 50-95 and a 45-60 that I also shoot off cross sticks. Case full of 3F and a gong at 200 yards makes for a fun afternoon. I hear you about not going for long walks with a 26 inch heavy octagon barrel. That gets to be heavy. But sitting looking over a river bottom opening is not bad at all.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

76 Shooters, Brothers at heart!,,,DT
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Mike, I have the 45-60 it makes for easy ammo. I had several 45-70 cases so all was needed was trimming and loading.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

So those are your own black powder loads? Pretty accurate whatever they are.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Southfork, no I was shooting 5744 that day. My blackpowder loads foul too quickly with the bullets I have. I can shoot three shots and have to clean with blackpowder. I'm pondering on getting a custom mold from Accurate with bigger lube grooves for blacpowder and getting some Swiss powder to try also. The Rifle is more accurate than I am that's for sure.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Hondo 1892 cutting that 4" off the barrel will help with the lube / fouling situation. So will the Swiss Bp. On my 22" and 24" 76 rifles I can get as many as 25 shots in before accuracy falls off. Accuracy falls off a bit earlier with the 28" 76 rifles. Your milage may vary a bit! ,,,,DT
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks Dusty.