Today's Agenda

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Today's Agenda

Post by Griff »

Off to the first 5 of 10 stages for the Texas Wild Bunch Championship. Going for a "Clean Match"... but considering the 1st stage is 30 rounds out of the 1911... might be "Mission Impossible!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Today's Agenda

Post by OldWin »

Best of luck.

LET'S GO..........
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Wishing you the best of your skills & shoot straight ! . :)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good luck and show 'em how it's done.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Make it clean, Pard. Good Luck !
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I know you can get the shooyin done, but

Good luck on the Tom cruise part :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just got back. Well, the first stage ended any hopes for a clean match!!! I did get one clean stage. Overcoming problems with both pistol and shotgun. My pistol seemed to fail to feed the last round out of a variety of magazines. Couldn't narrow it down. Ended up finding that my Taylor's Tactical didn't have an indent for the plunger on the slide stop. So the slightest of pressure upward would send the gun to slide locked back. Found that on one gun the little detent wasn't effective on that gun... so we swapped 'em. Viola!!! Apparently the slide locks got switched! Or so we think, didn't get to test this theory. Will put it to the test tomorrow am before shoot... in the function bay.

The shotgun is a mdl '97 Winchester. Both my Winchesters wouldn't feed ammo reliably, but the Chinese knockoff ran without a hitch... smooth, fast and absolutely reliable. Apparently the Winchester (and clone) has a "flag" that come up in the ejection port to keep the round being fed in line with the chamber. On the two Winchesters, neither flag would come up. Indications there's a spring broke in there! So tomorrow, either my son & I share a shotgun, or I continue to struggle with slightly misfeeding shells!

On the bright-side, during a shotgun side event, I shot it clean... six hits in 13.xx seconds with a Chinese knockoff of "trench gun"!!! They called it a "wobble trap" machine. 7-8 different trajectories for the clay birds... randomly! I wasn't the fastest, but, let's see when was the last time I shot clay birds? 2-3 years! With a riot gun! :D :D :D

Thanks for all the good wishes... I didn't get hurt, I didn't hurt anyone, (even their feelings), so with a day in the mid-90s & hi-90s humidity, I'll consider that a success! Hoping to repeat that tomorrow!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, I believe a tally error was made yesterday. I had one stage that apparently I took 2nd place. Nigh onto impossible, as I was shooting in the "Traditional" category, one-handed. So either I shot well above myself, or everyone else shot poorly. If I was second, this is clearly the reason.

I held my own that "wobble" trap side event, I finishing 3rd. I thought I was lower, but apparently some of the faster times I saw didn't hit all 6!

Overall today, I was fairly consistent. If the winner were selected based on fun; I know I would've won! I had a blast, joking around and parodying several of the much more serious shooters! Running the timer, I always tried to keep the shooter loose and functioning at their best, hopefully, giving good advice where needed, and no bad calls on my part! My pistol ran like clockwork for me all day. 5 stages with between 25 or 20 rounds per stage. Fairly large generous targets abound, but there a few 3" kds for the pistol, and few 4" swingers for the rifle. While everyone else seemed to shoot for the center of mass, I tend to work the edges to keep my accuracy up... head shots galore! Those buffalo targets generally have a big lead smear in the middle... so I tend to aim for the head and "shoot their eye out!" Cowboy silhouettes need to have their hat shot off!!! So I try to accommodate 'em! Only one rifle miss for the day, on one of those 4" swingers.

My son didn't fare quite so well... Having his bell rung today with a splash back to the forehead. Laid his pistol down, either with the slide closed or it closed after hitting the table. Stage DQ. Then following that fiasco, on the next stage, he charged his pistol, took a big step to the right to adjust his position, and followed that up by dragging his left foot along. Another Stage DQ.

Frankly, if you like 1911s, have a pistol caliber levergun (.40 cal. minimum) and 12 guage mdl 1897 or mdl 12 Winchester shotgun, like LOTS of pistol shooting, you might wanna look into SASS Wild Bunch competition.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done Griff, well done on the diagnostics too.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote:Well done Griff, well done on the diagnostics too.

N.
Thank you Nath, even figured out what the problem was in the 2 '97 shotguns. Awaiting parts. It IS true what they say about '97 shotguns in the "cowboy action" game. Apparently, "...you need 3, the 1 you're shooting, a 2nd as backup for when the 1st breaks, and a 3rd at the gunsmith getting fixed!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote:
Nath wrote:Well done Griff, well done on the diagnostics too.

N.
Thank you Nath, even figured out what the problem was in the 2 '97 shotguns. Awaiting parts. It IS true what they say about '97 shotguns in the "cowboy action" game. Apparently, "...you need 3, the 1 you're shooting, a 2nd as backup for when the 1st breaks, and a 3rd at the gunsmith getting fixed!"
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!